Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a new poster, but have read this forum for a few weeks. I am anxious to get a Treo on my existing Verizon service and almost bought the 600 when it was recently introduced for Verizon. However, I have been holding out for the 650 / Ace. I know that nobody is certain of the general rollout date for the 650/Ace, but does anyone have a view on whether this date will be later for Verizon vs. other carriers, given that the 600 has only just been offered by Verizon for a month or so now? I went in to my local Verizon Wireless store and the salesman there told me he knew of no plans at all for an upgrade to the Treo 600 on Verizon's network.

Thoughts?

P.S. I was one of the first purchasers of the Treo 270 (I had it on T Mobile), but I hated the flip cover among other things. Accordingly, I ended up buying the Kyocera 7135 on Verizon, which I still use today (my two year contract is up in Apr-05). I have a few friends who have Treo 600s and I much prefer them to my 7135, but I want to stick with Verizon (if I stay on Verizon I will not have to pay an early termination fee when getting a treo - also I think Verizon has the best coverage).
    Since my NE2 isn't until March, I have to wait, I figure if its out on Sprint in the fall, VW will have it in the spring.
    Once you own a Palm with a hi-rez screen, you will never go back to a 160x160.
    I can hardly wait.
    Good luck on that one with Verizon. They take forever to adopt new technology. However two miracles have happened:

1. The new Motorola phone has BLUETOOTH
    2. The Treo 600 was released.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    if vzw follows suit you are looking at a june to aug release date. of course this depends on when the Ace is released on sprint. if it is not released until xmas look at 4th qtr 05. personally I just got my vzw treo and am loving it so far.
    I have a tendency to think that all carriers will roll out together with any new Treo's. And here is why - most of the details were worked out or through the 600 with regards to how each carrier wanted the unit configured etc. Why would one carrier want to wait or indeed put up with waiting for the next generation of Treo?

It's obvious by the recent posts of pictures and the number of views of those pics.....that many people would consider "jumping" carriers in order to get one of these new babies. And since it is now fairly easy to migrate or "port" numbers it might be loss of market share unless all carriers came out with the Treo NG at the same time.

The Treo 600 was and is the fastest selling smartphone and is the only one sold across all major US carriers so to be behind a "roll out" curve might be "share" suicide.

Since Verizon was the last carrier to roll out the 600 and since the first pictures of the NG Treo were via Sprint and the latest are of a GSM version.....I think PalmOne is setting up for a killer late 3rd Quarter and 4th Quarter Christmas selling season.

The late endorsement of the Verizon unit might have been a delay tactic to allow PalmOne to ramp up enough production for all versions of the phone to be released?

A lot of this is speculation but Handspring wasn't big enough to handle the demand after the initial Sprint demand. Also, PalmOne has never released a product in a roll out mode similar to what was forced upon them as a result of the Handspring merger and lack of production capabilities that the 600 suffered.

I'm going on record and stating that I believe that all major carriers will release the NG Treo within 3 weeks of each other.

That statement and 50 cents won't get you a cup of coffee anywhere but then I prefer beer anyway.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    As long as Verizon's phones are old, I won't subscribe to their service. If they come out with the Treo 650 at the same time as everyone else, they have a shot, otherwise I don't see why everyone on this board doesn't run away.
    will carriers have to do extensive testing again?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    will carriers have to do extensive testing again?
    I can't see why not.. The 650 is alot different than the 600.
    PalmOne has always said that they will eventualy have a few different models of the Treo, and I expect that once all of these models are available, the lower-end ones will be extremely popular because the prices will have to go down.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
  9. RH1
    My contract is up with Verizon and a customer service rep called me to try to get me to upgrade my phone and resign. I explained that I was looking for the new Treo 650 phone. He told me they have the new treo 600. He then checked his database and found no info on the 650. I'm not sure if his db just gave what's currently available in which case it obviously wouldn't show or if it is forward looking.

In any event, this info probably isn't that valuable, but I thought I'd share.
    Like gadgets or collectibles? Come check out our forums!
    I doubt Verizon is going to have the 650 right away..they JUST launched the 600. To launch a better product so soon would leave a lot of customers unhappy. Plus...look how long it took them to actually launch the Treo 600
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I disagree. In fact, I think the reason the 650 is not on the market yet is so that every major carrier can complete their preparations for supporting it. Verizon's business customers will be much more unhappy if they are the only ones that can't upgrade to a 650.
    Precisely. I also think that Verizon (perhaps in conjunction with P1) may offer a 600 upgrade program. (Damn them if they don't!!!)

I, for one, do not believe that Verizon's launch date was affected by "testing" - this probably had more to do with existing contracts with other phone manufacturer's and the inevitable release of the 650. Hence, I think the 650 will be out without as much of a gap between service provider releases.

Since, the 650 is not a new generation Treo I think VZ will get it there in good time. HOWEVER, (and that's a huge however) I'm almost certain that they'll find a way to cripple BT.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I disagree. In fact, I think the reason the 650 is not on the market yet is so that every major carrier can complete their preparations for supporting it. Verizon's business customers will be much more unhappy if they are the only ones that can't upgrade to a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I'm almost certain that they'll find a way to cripple BT.
    ...like they did to v710 ... very easily ... just not offerig the necessary Profiles ..

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any thoughts on how long it will take for Verizon to support and sell the Treo 650? It took so long for them to do so with the 600. My Sony T615 just died and I'm now back to using my original Palm IIIx (since I destroyed my beloved Vx from overuse) and I'm very anxious to purchase a Treo - I would love to get the new Treo 650 but I will only get one for Verizon since their coverage is the best in my area.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
    Verizon gets the 650 in late Q2 2005.
  16.    #16  
    Mikec,

I'm assuming that's your best guess on timing, or do you actually know something? Verizon certainly hasn't announced anything at al with regard to the Treo 650.
    I'm with you, Blue. Hoping they get it sooner since they just went through the "verification" process on the 600, hoping they did it for both, but it would seem odd for them to launch a new version so soon after the launch of the 600, since I'd have a hard time seeing anyone opting for the 600 when the 650 is available, unless there is a serious pricing differential.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I do hope this is not correct - I'm not sure I can wait that long
    when vzw rolls out support for the 650, will other carriers (sprint) react to become more competitive - like oh say, reducing rate plan prices etc?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    just a thought... Verizon doesnt carry the T600 in their stores (at least in my part of the world), only thru the mail.
    Is this perhaps a way of keeping inventory levels to a minimum?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast