Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    So what are the odds the the 650 comes out on Verizon, and if so how long do we have to wait to get it.
    Between Slim and None.....and Slim just left town
    My company, under my direction, is about to sign a 100 plus user agreement totalling approximately $75k / year. The rep has been clear and honest with me from day one. He told me he knows about the 650, he is 'fairly' certain it is in Verizon Wireless for testing, but not to expect it for quite some time. Best guess is not before next summer. I am bummed like the rest of you, but at least I can get rid of my Sprint - Verizonized unit for a true Verizon one at a price of about $330.00.
    Great. So, Jeff...when you Verizonized your unit, was it painful or would you try it again with the 650?
    V
    Quote Originally Posted by interclubs
    So what are the odds the the 650 comes out on Verizon, and if so how long do we have to wait to get it.
    Just called VSW CS to verify when my contract ends (FEB05). We're on the family plan with 3 phones so I thought the threat of losing some business might garner some more info. I mentioned I wanted to know because there's this new shiney Treo 650 coming out and I'd like to know when I can end my contract with no penalties. He said there was nothing in their computer so it would be quite a while if they did carry it. Looks like they will be losing our business unless I can get an unlocked phone cheap enough. I was really hoping VZW would respond better than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MizVivienne
    Great. So, Jeff...when you Verizonized your unit, was it painful or would you try it again with the 650?
    V
    I am leaning towards NOT doing it again.

I followed the Treo Central board directions and all went fairly smooth. It took some time to secure three Sprint units (me, wife and brother) and like anything, each mod got easier. However, the following issues / problems have developed: my brother's unit crapped out and obviously as a Verizon customer he had no recourse. He has since bought a Verizon unit. My wife's unit has lately seem to have a decrease in signal quality. I have also heard that Verizon may be locking the ESN's that can be entered on their site, so I have no way of knowing if a Sprint T650 will even take once modified. Finally, and obviously, we can't get insurance or coverage on these units.

Since my company "will" buy both myself and my wife new Verizon T600 units, I plan to retire the modified units (and hopefully sell them). It just seems with an expensive new toy like the T650 it is too risky for me to secure the units, then hack them and hope Verizon will allow me to activate them. I am "married" to VZW for the foresable future and as much as I am dying for the T650, I will gladly take a shiny new T600 and just wait till sometime next year.

Sorry... long winded answer, but no, I most likely won't do it again. As an aside, I plan to buy an Acura RL next summer and I hope that by then the T650 will be confirmed to work with the Bluetooth in the car. Wishful thinking... but who knows.
    I realize this isn't the first post on this issue, but...

any idea when the 650 will make it onto Verizon? Before the next Ice Age?
    Since the 650 is an upgrade not a new phone & Sprint has presumably had about the same lead time it logically should be near Sprint's rollout. Anyone here work for/have a business relationship with Verizon? From what I've read here there is not an equivalent to an unlocked GSM in the cdma world, and I don't want a heavily hacked experiment that might work.
    end of 2005, most probably the last in the line
    I had a Verizon salesman tell me around Christmas
    Quote Originally Posted by davidl340
    wow, now that's funny. nice to meet a salesman that's a true dreamer every now and then. will this magical verizon 650 also have gumdrop buttons and be given away free to everyone? (sarcasm)
    Was he high?

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    If I was a betting man (and I am) I would say the over/under point in time is June 30th, 2005.
    Hahaha maybe Christmas 2005.... just kidding, we are just twiddling our thumbs until Pa1mOne makes us fortunate to get them.
    Given how VZW releases other phones, I would not doubt Christmas 2005. A June '05 date seems too soon for them. I wish it were the Christmas though.
    I'm sure he's probably as much in the dark as I am. Better than the Cingular guy who told me there was no such thing as a 650, but I probably meant a 610 that ATT labeled differently but was really a 600?

I hate when I know more than the salesman.
    I have conflicting (what else?) info. There is a salesman at my local store who is *adamant* I should wait until late November to "make my smartphone purchase." Flip side is if Verizon were going to release around Christmas, wouldn't they have been mentioned in the P1 press releases this week?

Talk about a hard sell.
    Well, my corp rep stopped by to sell me on EvDO and of course, the topic of the Treo 650 came up. He indicated that they would be selling it, but that's all he said. No timeline and he hasn't been particularly accurate in the past.

Will they sell it? Yeah, probably. Will it be this year? I don't know, but I would seriously doubt it.

Edit: Forgot to post one other thing. He mentioned that it was possible that it (a VZW 650) would include push-to-talk. Trust me that I really thought he was coming out of left field on this one. Yeah, I would love to see it be an available feature, but I am REALLY skeptical on it being included. I pointedly told him that I would be surprised considering that Sprint is releasing the 650 first and there has not been so much as a hint that of ReadyLink being included. But still, I thought I should mention it to all here.
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 10/27/2004 at 10:00 PM.
    I really want this phone but in my area, VZW has the best coverage and since my contract runs til May 2005, I have no choice but to wait.
    If it doesn't look like VZW is going to offer it by summer 2005, I'm bolting to Cingular (second best in my area).
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    I really want this phone but in my area, VZW has the best coverage and since my contract runs til May 2005, I have no choice but to wait.
    If it doesn't look like VZW is going to offer it by summer 2005, I'm bolting to Cingular (second best in my area).

Do you have a 600 now & if not, will you get one in the interim?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast