Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    He was so happy about his wifi, his bt, his t mobile reception...

I showed him my Treo 600 and mentioned I had no wifi or bt

On his way out of the restaurant, he bragged about a hot spot he found with wifi...

And I realized something: while it is true that the battery goes fast with wifi or bt, it is also true that most of the time if one is out and about, the need for information of wifi or bt might often be limited naturally to short times, in which case having the feature is better than not having it for fear of battery drain.
    there is no way I gonna buy the t650 is without wifi capability. dont care if its over a card, whatever, but in these times of mobility a top class device without wifi, well, that would tell a lot about palmone's mindset
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    the need for information of wifi or bt might often be limited naturally to short times, in which case having the feature is better than not having it for fear of battery drain.
    Wifi is a gret thing. When I had my ux-50 and needed info I could have the radio search and accept the closest viable connection. This would take about 5 seconds.

The speed was so much faster than 1xrtt that it was an absolute pleasure to use. After finished, just close it up and it disconnects turning the radio off. Battery was not an issue as long as I had a charger every night or so.

If that thing had a cdma radio in it it would be the best device ever created!

But back to the point, wifi is a very effective tool which under normal "productivity" orientated tasks does not kill a battery like many would like you to believe.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    yes, i just dont see why palmone doesnt get the picture. if you are courting thr business user, give them a business device - wifi smartphone!
    its counter-intuitive! battery life is vital, but so are the features vital to doing business in a timely manner. dont understand palmone's stance.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    But, it is still a brick. And to get decent battery life you neep
    I get information any quickly enough through Vision, hotspot or none. WiFi would be a nice value add, though.

I suppose if I didn't have Sprint and was forced to use a metered GPRS connection, I'd feel more need for WiFi.
    I just think that wi-fi is too spotty and not ubiquitous enough yet. And once EV-DO here in the states gets rolled out nationally, I think it'll give wi-fi a run for its money. For example, I'm posting this at the neighborhood pool via my 600 - there's no hot spot anywhere close by at all. Could not do that with wi-fi. Yes I know the goal is to have dual/triple wireless capability, but I just don't think the masses are going to go for that. Look at the reality aspects that palmOne must address: Their goal is to get a 6X0 in as many hands as possible. The folks who'll buy an HP6315 represent a <very> small minority of the total possible consumer base. Forget your own wishes for a minute & look at things from pOne's perspective: Lots of devices, not just the minority of enthusiasists, such on these forums.
    My fiance has the UX-50, myself, T600 naturally. We travel quite a bit and most often when we need info on the fly, she's reachin' for my T600. I agree that any device that fancies itself top-notch should have wi-fi, however, a deal killer it is not.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    yes, i just dont see why palmone doesnt get the picture. if you are courting thr business user, give them a business device - wifi smartphone!
    its counter-intuitive! battery life is vital, but so are the features vital to doing business in a timely manner. dont understand palmone's stance.
    they most likely are thinking of the business user... first off... most large companies don't even know about treos... (or at least don't want to use them as the company standard) blackberry has a stranglehold on that segment... why? cause the government uses blackberry, it must be secure. that's what most companies worry about these days. or at least the companies in the financial sector (where i tend to specialize in rolling out mobile solutions that meet high security). anyway- the same with wifi... until you see vendors hyping 802.11i devices, you aren't seeing wifi in the common workplace. also- you will be hard pressed to find a card that supports both 802.11i and will work on a pda device (at least not yet). most companies think that wifi is evil and that it's an invitation for hackers to come and party. i heard a security expert at my company say that wep could be broken in 5 minutes... i tried it using the "hacker" community's standard tools and was unable to after over 100 hours... the best way to get things going is to get the device into as many hands as possible.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    This debate is coming up time and time again...but it seems to be the same people complaining about lack of WiFi. In another thread it seemed to me that there was a high percentage of people that didn't care about WiFi access. So perhaps PalmOne has marketing research that shows it's not that relevant a feature to a high percentage of users.

Not saying that's the case...this board is not exactly an accurate sampling - but it could be the reason.

Also, if all the carriers are rolling out high speed networks (Edge , EVDO etc...) that they can charge usage on, why would they want WiFi in the phone? It goes against their own business plans and lets customers access data off their network and for free many times. The Treo's success is linked to the carriers...so they definately have a say.

Don't always just chalk things up to Palm being stupid. There are many factors at play.
    wifi is a must have for me and i have said this before but if it has built in wifi i am buying two the second i can
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    well, in my view, it would just be nice to have that wifi capability. not that I would use it everyday, but it would be nice to have on certain few occasions. eg. if you are a physician in a hospital and wanted to connect with the wifi system inside the building, this would make current tungsten c users want to upgrade - just makes sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I just think that wi-fi is too spotty and not ubiquitous enough yet. And once EV-DO here in the states gets rolled out nationally, I think it'll give wi-fi a run for its money. For example, I'm posting this at the neighborhood pool via my 600 - there's no hot spot anywhere close by at all. Could not do that with wi-fi.
    I'm going to Aruba in a month or so (yeah, I know, lucky me ). The interstesting thing is that when I'm there. I'm fairly (read "very") sure that Vision won't work down there. However, with wifi and staying at a new Marriott, I'm much more certain they'll have wifi. I don't want to bring a laptop for fear of it getting stolen (and possibly not having a safe large enough to lock it up).
    I'm not going to Aruba anytime soon, but I have my Clie for WiFi access. Actually I would love the chance to go to Aruba or anywhere that would give me an excuse to use the Clie more often. But it looks like I'll be eBaying it soon.

I'm sure that, like anyone, I could sit down and brainstorm a list of contingencies where WiFi would be a superior option, but 99 percent of the time, Vision just works for a landlocked American like yours truly. If travel was a more regular part of my itinerary, I'd go for a GSM Treo and get online through GPRS. After all, I would still need a working phone, not just a internet terminal.

Although I would never be naive enough to base my purchase of the 650 on the hope of the P1 WiFi card working on the Treo (WiFi isn't essential for me), I would snap one up in a second if this capability exists.
    Well, Aruba aside, I generally travel nowhere, so I go with CDMA where the data plan is cheap. Luckily, friends that I'm going with have a GSM phone, so I can make the two calls I need (if that) from that phone.

I'm just generally annoyed I'm going to have see if I can borrow a friend's iPaq to take with me when, I could use the Treo if it supported wi-fi. I admit it's a kind of thing that's likely to happen to me once a year at most, but combine that with other times that wi-fi is just a speed enhancement over Vision and it will really sting if it's not available on the Treo 650 through a sdio card.

I very well will probably base my decision to go with the 650 on final out of pocket cost (after ebaying Treo 600, etc) and whether wifi is fully supported (i.e. they tell me the specific card and have a link to download drivers). If it doesn't come in at the right price point I suppose I'll take the money I save and apply to HDTV.