1.    #1  
    Another question. I've read some of the threads about Pocket DVD, and downloaded the trial on my PC to look at it, but I don't have a DVD drive and can't rip DVD's to play on MMPlayer. Are there any sites yet that have feature length avi files available for those of us that are sans DVD drive?
  2.    #2  
    Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    what kind of softwares do we need in order to play mpeg / avi movies in Treo?

thanks
  5.    #6  
    Thanks to dlbrummels for the links.

I've looked at those before and saw that they are mainly movie trailers, animation and shorts. What I was asking is anybody posting (or selling) .avi's of feature length movies.

Please advise.

Thanks!
    Well, those would generally be illegal to d/l so nobody here can really talk about it.

What we *can* help you with, though, is converting your old home movies Once you have the PC-quality .avi of your home movies, you can use software like PocketDivxEncoder to recompress it to a 160x120 (160x72, etc, dependant on original ratio) file of about 120-150mb or so size.

I use my replaytv and recompress TV shows to fit on my Treo too
  7. Daz
    there is software out that can convert your dvd collection to a format that can be viewed on your treo

you have to have Pocket DVD for Palm,MM Player, or Kinoma Player/producer.

there are threads here that go through step by step
    What you'll need:

1. Pocket-DVD Studio (Free 30 Day Trial download with 5-10 minutes encoding limitation or $32 to buy)
    2. MMPlayer (Free Trial download but limited by message overlay when viewing movies or $14.95 to buy)
    3. A DVD like the Star Wars Trilogy (You must own the DVD that you're copying... see disclaimer in read more...)

Getting started:

1. Install Pocket-DVD Studio on your PC or laptop (Aprox. 10 minutes)
    2. Install MMPlayer to your Treo 600 (Aprox. 10 minutes)
    3. Insert DVD in your PC or laptop (Aprox. 10 seconds)

Encoding your DVD:

1. Launch Pocket-DVD application
    2. Select 1) 'Open DVD' button; 2) Use the right-most 'Crop' selection; 3) 'Resolution' of 160 x (YYY) [Treo 600 has a screen resolution of 160x160 so there's not much point encoding at higher ones...]
    3. You'll have to wait for about 1 hour for encoding of the entire DVD to complete (don't try to launch any other apps while doing this as Pocket-DVD will already be using 100% CPU...)

Encoding Results:

1. Picture Quality: Great considering that you'll be watching it on a minute screen
    2. Sound Quality: Absolutely awesome! I was so surprised to find that the audio quality was superb particularly once you plug in your earphones
    3. Compression Quality: Brilliant! A 4.7GB DVD will be reduced down to between 80MB and 120MB depending on the length of the movie and all in avi format

Viewing on MMPlayer:

1. Transfer your Pocket-DVD movie to your SD card
    2. Launch MMPlayer fit the earphones
    3. Select 'Playlist', find your movie, hit play and enjoy!

That's it... told you... couldn't be simpler than 1, 2, 3...!
  8.    #9  
    Thanks for the detailed instructions Daz, but you missed the point of my original post. I don't have a DVD drive! Wish I did, but I don't. I was hoping that someone was selling downloadable movies by now (legal ones), but appearently not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo
    Thanks for the detailed instructions Daz, but you missed the point of my original post. I don't have a DVD drive! Wish I did, but I don't. I was hoping that someone was selling downloadable movies by now (legal ones), but appearently not yet.
    Try these sites but they have subscription fees. I've never personally signed up for either but they advertise they are legal downloads.

http://www.ultimatemoviedownload.com...are=OvertureUS

http://www.movielink.com/commerce/ho...uestid=1735928
    Theres this one as well.

http://www.vidhouse.com/

Most of these sites can be found by searching on yahoo.