Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    I dont believe this is posssible as the network has 2 classifications of distinct 'data' and 'voice'. I beleive the network will not allow a dial-in to an ISP to transmit data, otherwise we would all be doing it...
    Well, actually, it does work, and works perfectly. After following the instructions above I am able to connect without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    The reason isn't that you need mobile web, it's that you need a data access account. If you turn off mobile web as well as not subscribe to any data plan, they can turn off your data access entirely.
    That explains it. I was wondering if this was the case. I think vzw cust service is going to get a call from me tomorrow. Thanks for the clarification!
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    The reason isn't that you need mobile web, it's that you need a data access account. If you turn off mobile web as well as not subscribe to any data plan, they can turn off your data access entirely.

While billing based on "Minutes Used" is not officially supported by Verizon, they can't prevent you from doing it if you have mobile web.

p.s. it IS possible to get some nice customer service rep to just turn on data access for you without making you sign up for mobile web, but it involves you asking them nicely and having it done a bit "off the books."
    The Treo requires data access for MMS, SMS, picture messaging, etc.

So if you disable mobile web and cannot access data using only minutes, you should be able to call up customer service and tell them that you cannot send picture messages and have them provision your account accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    The Treo requires data access for MMS, SMS, picture messaging, etc.

So if you disable mobile web and cannot access data using only minutes, you should be able to call up customer service and tell them that you cannot send picture messages and have them provision your account accordingly.
    Yes, and verizon will screw you for it. This is where I started from, I had lots of minutes that I don't use and only ever used the web a few times with the phone. I denied all it's requests to make a connection. I forced the disconnect whenever the phone was turned off. I still had 800plus minutes via mysterious accesses even when the phone had the radio turned off. The data center techs explanation for this is that will charge you for their time trying to contact that phone and they *think* thats ok because it's like a black berry and you should buy there data service.
    Sorry to hear that. Interesting that it's happening on some phones but not all.
    In my experience, my Treo seems to "ping" the data network to keep the connection alive... but it only does this when a passive connection is on. (i.e. when grey arrows are active, it will turn green periodically for no reason). However, when the network connection is totally off, it never seems to start a new data connection.

The periodic "pinging" prevents programs like Battery Doctor and Treo600 CM from properly closing the connection in 2-3 minutes, but they both did work when the window was appropriately short (either immediately or within 10-30 seconds).

Not sure if this helps. I'm still afraid to take off my unlimited data option just yet, I'm doing a bit of testing first.

PabloTX, I assume based on your statements that you successfully use MOU for data access on your Treo 600?

-A
    Interesting to read about all these problems. Cingular is $20 a month unlimited WEB, email plus mucho SMS & MMS. With no chg roaming, I'm sure I've used Verizon's data network as well.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680
  7.    #27  
    The saga continues...

I called Thursday (for an unrelated, Treo specific hardware issue) and was promptly issued a new phone. According to the data service rep, my new phone should have arrived by noon, Friday. So having not see the thing yet (today's Tuesday) I called em up. I figured that, since I was on the phone with them anyway, I might try this whole conversation again. That is, I was fishing for more info regarding this "automatic" connect issue.

Apparently, here is the bottom line from Verizon: If you manually initiate a data connection, even once via Blazer, and forget to manually "Disconnect", the system will keep you logged in (supposedly indicated by the gray arrows). You will remain logged in (and being charged every minute) until either you manually disconnect, or turn off the radio. They feel justified in this because it is the same mechanism that works with their sync software, and anyway its a "happy coincidence" that it works for us occasional users, provided we remember to disconnect. I almost want to say, fair enough on this point.

I have verified this with PhoneToolsPro. The only minutes showing up under the data logger are those I intentionally spent. No where does it show unauthorized data time access. So far, my new bill reflects this to be true.

So, finally it looks like we've got this solved. JUST REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT WHEN DONE!!

Incidental, I was told by a different rep (non data) that my replacement phone did not ship because I was still within the 30 days of purchase. With her urging, I went back to the store and they promptly handed me a brand new phone. Of course, when I get back to my office, guess whats waiting there... the replacement phone that never shipped! So now, it would seem, I've got an extra "undocumented" treo (refurb). Not a bad consolation prize for all my trouble, I think

PS: Don't get your feathers in a poof... I will return the bugger.
    Right. If you manually initiate the connection (snapper, Blazer, whatever), you need to manually disconnect as well.

And if you do not initiate any data connections, you should see no issues with random connections and live data connections (and bloated bills).
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Its all a joke. $15/month unlimited data and pictures on Sprint including using it as a modem with PDA Net....Dump verizon, suck up the lost expense when the 650 comes out and see if you can get something for your 600 on ebay. You'll make your money back in a month based on what you said

Sprint's pricing is so much better and as long as you get their extended coverage area, it will jump on other networks without roam charge anyway if you are out of coverage (you just don't have data at that time).
    Mark F Chinsky
    Also, remember that sending or receving a MMS message will initiate a data connection. I'm not sure at what point (even if) the Treo will automatically disconnect, but it's possible for someone to send you a MMS and have it rack up minutes.

A program like Battery Doctor really helps those of us without a data plan avoid things beyond our control.

But I think the big culprit for most people is wireless sync. If you want to use that, you really have to have an unlimited plan.
    Last edited by PabloTX; 09/21/2004 at 01:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Beside the constant connecti
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I just had EXACTLY the same thing on my last bill. One call alone was 1400+ minutes (over 24 hours!). I'm still in the middle of the process of trying to get the credit. They also gave me that same line about having to buy the unlimited plan. I explained that I don't intend to use the web access, but need the SMS, and I'm now waiting for a reply. I came on to this site to try to find out why this is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpells
    I came on to this site to try to find out why this is happening.
    Because Verizon has such great customer service they want to make sure all their customers get a chance to use it!
    I use Verizon without a data plan. I use my minutes to get on to the web. I mostly access the web during off peak hours. I remember to disconnect when using Blazer and in Snapper I have it set up to retrive mail on the hour. Snapper is also set up to disconnect automatically. I am always within my minutes.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12