1. DJT
    Just received my first replacement Treo 600 today. I've been reading all of the horror stories on the boards about how people keep getting lemon after lemon and it has me paranoid that my replacement could possibly be worse than the one I'm sending back.

My old treo was great, except for the fact that it had a defective radio and buzzed severely when I talked to people (if it wasn't plugged into the charger). It also had horrible signal strength and dropped calls left and right.

Well, I haven't had a chance to check out the phone part of the new Treo yet, but I've already noticed two "problems" with the Treo's screen:

First, I immediately noticed that the screen had a blue tint to it. When holding the two Treos next to each other, it is obvious that the replacement is not as bright either. I've read reports on the boards of people noticing this problem and I'm wondering if I should send it back, or if I'll just get another crappy screen on the next replacement.

The second problem I noticed is that the stylus does not glide very well on the screen, there seems to be an awful lot of friction when I drag something with the stylus. It also seems like I have to press a little bit harder on the screen for the Treo to recognize the input. This is very annoying, as it feels like I'm damaging the Treo's screen every time I use the stylus. My old Treo's screen is super smooth and the stylus glides right over it with no problems whatsoever. However, I can't remember what the screen was like when I first got it, and I'm wondering if maybe the new one just needs to be "broken in" a little (not literally ).

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm going to test out the phone aspects of the new Treo later tonight when I'm at home (where I usually have the most severe problems). If the thing with the stylus friction goes away, I can possibly live with the inferior screen (I suppose it would be a fair trade for the scratched up Treo I'm sending back to them)... that's assuming I don't run into any phone problems too. If anyone knows anything else I should be looking for, please let me know. Thanks!
  2. DJT
    One other thing that I just noticed... When I transferred the SIM card from my old Treo to my new Treo and turned on Wireless Mode, a Cingular logo popped up on the screen. The Treo I'm replacing is a Handspring branded UNLOCKED model, purchased without service during the T-Mobile upgrade promo. Does this mean they sent me a SIM-locked Treo that can only be used with Cingular now?? How can I tell? When going to Phone Info, it shows the software as Treo600-1.12-CNG... but I don't know if that means anything other than Cingular optimized software is on the phone. Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    DJT,

Can't help you with the firmware problem but I can relate to your display woes... Mine too has an annoying blueish tint and the silent switch takes a lot of effort to move. I have another replacement on the way.

I'm thinking that if you are with T-Mobile they should have at least sent you a T-Mobile branded phone. I can't see them sending you an unlocked model tho.
  4. DJT
    Hey Tialoc.. I saw your post in the thread about the screen colors. My silent switch is messed up too. It's not TOO hard to switch it to silent mode, but switching it back requires a lot more work. It sounds like they sent us the same screwed up phones. Hey, did you already send your replacement back? Maybe they gave me yours

My service is with Cingular, so it would make sense that the phone has Cingular software on it... but I plan on switching to T-Mobile soon and don't want to find out that my phone is locked when I do it. The one I'm sending back is unlocked, so my replacement should be as well.
  5. DJT
    BTW Tialoc, did you notice the friction problem with the stylus and screen? That is annoying me more than anything right now, as I use my stylus constantly for business related apps.
    i dunno about cingular but sprint has the replacement guarantee on it. i got 2 treos with very little questiosn asked (first one got dead spots on the screen where i couldnt push down and 2nd one vibrate didnt work). just go to a cingular store and ask em
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJT
    Hey Tialoc.. I saw your post in the thread about the screen colors. My silent switch is messed up too. It's not TOO hard to switch it to silent mode, but switching it back requires a lot more work. It sounds like they sent us the same screwed up phones. Hey, did you already send your replacement back? Maybe they gave me yours
    LOL!! That would be pretty funny but no I have not sent it back yet. waiting for the second so I can compare all three...

My service is with Cingular, so it would make sense that the phone has Cingular software on it... but I plan on switching to T-Mobile soon and don't want to find out that my phone is locked when I do it. The one I'm sending back is unlocked, so my replacement should be as well.
    Man, I sure hope you can get an unlocked one. I was basing it on prior experience with the TELCOs. Not too many like to deal in UNLOCKED phones. I understand why they lock them but I don't have to agree with them (or like it for that matter). Good luck to you.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    BTW Tialoc, did you notice the friction problem with the stylus and screen? That is annoying me more than anything right now, as I use my stylus constantly for business related apps.
    I use a screen protector so my stylus friction is the same on either phone. I have not compared the surfaces w/o the protector but I will tonight. I just heard my 2nd replacement just arrived.
  9. DJT
    Does the stylus slide across the screen protector smoothly? Maybe I'll just order some of those and deal with the blue tint and difficult button. I tested the phone quality a little so far and it seems to be noticeably better than the old phone. I haven't dropped a call yet, and my voice wasn't breaking up at all when I made a test call earlier (I walked all over my office building, including in stairwells, bathrooms, etc.).
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I actually like the way the stylus feels on the screen protector. It's like a pen on paper almost.
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Does the stylus slide across the screen protector smoothly? Maybe I'll just order some of those and deal with the blue tint and difficult button. I tested the phone quality a little so far and it seems to be noticeably better than the old phone. I haven't dropped a call yet, and my voice wasn't breaking up at all when I made a test call earlier (I walked all over my office building, including in stairwells, bathrooms, etc.).
    DJT,

Got the new Treo and I see what you mean about the screen feeling funny with the stylus. After I removed the protective cover and could immediately notice a difference between my original and the replacement.

I have some Fellowes Screen Cleaning Wipes which I used and now the display is slicker than snot. I think the problem was residue from the protective cover. Make sure whatever cleaner you use, it says it's okay to use on an LCD or Laptop friendly.

The screen still has a blue tint on this one but not near as bad as the other replacement and the silent switch is nice. I'm going to charge it up and test it out. Hopefully I will be happy... we'll see.
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
  12. DJT
    After testing the replacement phone for a few days, it seems to work much better than the old phone. I still can't get over the blue tint on the screen though, it's really bugging me because the old phone's screen is so sharp and the whites are actually WHITE. I'm worried about sending the replacement back, though, because with my luck I'll get a new replacement with a bright screen and another defective radio (or another problem). Any suggestions? Also, how is PalmOne about having to replace replacements?

One weird thing I notice about the phone, if I look at the screen at a downward angle, the color almost matches my old phone... but if I'm looking at the screen head-on, or at an upward angle, it looks faded and has the blue tint real bad.
    for the showing Cingular logo, should not it work as it displays Cingular since you use Cingular Sim Card? I have the "Welcome To T-MOBILE" once i turn on the Treo.
    you should not be worrying too much as you can unlock it very easily. may be when they asked you which carrier you used, you told them you use Cingular?

called on SUnday for an replacememnt, i was asked which carrier i used. i told them i used other carrier so i need them to send me an unlocked treo600. (i purchased it as unlocked unbranded unit anyway).

btw, my treo (first and original.. have not got the replacement unit yet) has the blue tint.. i think that is the bad QA on the screens.