Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Start with http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2951.html

I like a keyboard, Palm OS, 1.3 camera, would be nice to get wifi or bt, and hi res
    Looks to me that the MDA/XDA (could it be any more confusing a name), would compete best with the Treo 600/650. I mention this because it has a keyboard that doesn't require two hands to flip open, or add-on. Two bad it takes a hit in the camera, but overall, I'd rather have the wifi. I might have to investigate this phone a little more if Palm doesn't get serious about wifi.
    I may have to reconsider my new phone purchase...looks like the XDA has it all and is here NOW...plus I'm already a TMo user...with an expired contract...so I should be able to get a discount. I'm tired of waiting for the 650...who knows how long before we can get an unlocked GSM model!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    i think the mpx is very cool. for the MDA, i would have to handle it first. i wonder how it balances when it's opened up. and i'm mainly interested in BT, since right now my prius is a very expensive BT accessory that is not being used...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    the XDAIII or whatever your flavor is a cool gadget indeed. I'm a bit concerned about the size, though. From the few specs I've seen, it seems to be about half an inch wider than the existing treo and is very similar in thickness and height. If it is half an inch wider than the treo, that will be quite a gadget to throw on your hip...

I wonder when (if) manufacturers will get a freaking clue and go clamshell (ala the mpx) but with a "normal" keyboard. The MPX is so close -- why are they putting that funky curved keyboard on it?

I had a sony clie UX 50 and let me tell you that the clamshell design is the best bet. 320x480 and a very decent sized keyboard... If only it had a phone and a battery that was worth a damn...
    Quote Originally Posted by aarons12
    and i'm mainly interested in BT, since right now my prius is a very expensive BT accessory that is not being used...
    Why dont you use a bluetooth BT07 bluetrek dongle with your Treo 600 NOW?

They are quite cheap, especially compared to the cost of your Prius!
    None of the competitors seem worthy to me due to size, one-handed use and/or battery life.
    In fact I would not upgrade to any of them from the Treo 600 because of those issues!

As long as the price of the Treo 650 is less than 1000USD I will go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    I may have to reconsider my new phone purchase...looks like the XDA has it all and is here NOW...plus I'm already a TMo user...with an expired contract...so I should be able to get a discount. I'm tired of waiting for the 650...who knows how long before we can get an unlocked GSM model!
    I thought the page said that XDA was october? I didn't know it was already out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn
    the XDAIII or whatever your flavor is a cool gadget indeed. I'm a bit concerned about the size, though. From the few specs I've seen, it seems to be about half an inch wider than the existing treo and is very similar in thickness and height. If it is half an inch wider than the treo, that will be quite a gadget to throw on your hip...
    From the specs linked it looks like it's 10mm wider and 12mm longer than the Treo. It is a good 4mm thinner though. And it seems to weigh quite a bit more.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Verizon has delayed the XDA III with the sliding thumbboard until the middle of next year. If it doesn't have a thumbboard, it's not comparable to the Tre0 650.

Edit: Original post mis-identified the carrier as TMo. Sorry! Here's the link to the story:
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ve...Delays_XDA_III
    Last edited by Iceman6; 09/17/2004 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Carrier mis-identified
    There are XDA III's with and without sliding thumbboard's? I'm so confused as this device seems to be either called the XDA III the MDA III (does either XDA or MDA stand for anything), or the Qtek 9090 or the CU928 according the link. And now it may or may not come with a sliding thumbboard.

Oh and according to the link it's available in October, but one poster here says it's already available and another says that it's delayed until middle of 2005.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    this is what my sprint guy gave me on upcoming sprint release dates... his release calendar does not have any 650 data on it...

Samsung i600 -- Scheduled for a late- September launch
    Sprint PPC6601 -- Scheduled for an early October launch *this is the XDA/MDA/CU928/HARRIER phone*
    Nokia 6016 -- Scheduled for an early October launch
    LG PM-325 -- Scheduled for a mid October launch
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    XDA III and MDA III as of today Sept 17 2004 is not available anywhere in the USA...
    there are a few model differences.... gsm networks will most likely have wifi (but there is still confusion over whether it will have bluetooth) and cdma will have only bluetooth

the phone is going to be relabeled as XDA III, CU928, PPC6600/6601 under different carriers.... HTC, Daxian, Curitel, etc....

basically it's like releasing the treo 600 under Handspring, Palmone
    with 2 different colors
    and 2 different versions camera/non camera
    and 2 different screens

do you see where i'm going with this? confusion of course.... but the device most of us are referring to has the pull out keyboard - which is why it falls into the category of competing with the Treo Ace/650.

plus - bluetooth and EVDO. <--most important feature.
    as for the link that shows a MDA with NO keyboard and slightly different thumbpad - that's the MDA compact to be released in Europe - although that pic looks slightly mocked up so i have no idea if that's really a pic or not....
    sledgie

edit: kenn that looks about right....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril

thanks, but i never bought the 600. i still had my original treo300, over 2 years old, until a few weeks ago when the screen went and i had it replaced under the warranty program with a nice 'new' refurb. i might have upgraded then but the rumors were already out on the 650
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril

I'm almost positive this wouldn't work anyways. The dongle has the headset profile, but not the handsfree profile. The handsfree is necessary for car BT systems.
    I suppose I'll just wait until whatever the heck the carriers put out in a XDA/MDA/whatever phone with either bluetooth, no bluetooth, slider, no slider, or wifi, no wifi. It's at the point where I don't know why people refer to it as the same phone. As best I can tell it's a family of phones in itself.
    I like the XDA but I notice that the keys on the keyboard appear to be flat, not rounded, which may make the keys difficult to press...
    Every pixel a picasso
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    I'm almost positive this wouldn't work anyways. The dongle has the headset profile, but not the handsfree profile. The handsfree is necessary for car BT systems.
    I thought some car systems support both profiles?
    Personally I'm most intrigued by the MpX, but since I'm a Verizon customer, I don;t know when (if ever) it would make that carrier, since the current version is GSM. (But VZW does carry some moto phones, so there's at least some hope...)