1.    #1  
    I think I asked this question a million times in different iterations. I'll ask it once again.

Does anyone use Wireless Sync as a "push" solution for Groupwise mail? If so, how do you do it? For some reason, and I'm certain that I'm doing something wrong, WS PC Monitor does not even give me the option to recognize Groupwise as my corp. email client. Is there a workaround here? Perhaps there's something I'm missing? Perhaps WS doesn't support Groupwise?! I'm running GW 6.5 and I'm going mad!!

Thx.
    It doesn't support GroupWise. I use the SMTP functionality to check my GroupWise account, and sometimes the WebAccess feature. There are also other "push" technolgies that can be used, but they require dedicated servers at your corporate location.
  3.    #3  
    SMTP functionality? Could you please elaborate, not sure what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    It doesn't support GroupWise. I use the SMTP functionality to check my GroupWise account, and sometimes the WebAccess feature. There are also other "push" technolgies that can be used, but they require dedicated servers at your corporate location.
  4. afr
    Our agency uses GroupWise 6.5. I use SnapperMail to access my IMAP e-mail account, and automatically "pull" my mail at regular intervals. VersaMail also has this capability. I looked for a "push" solution to GroupWise and thought Chatter was the answer, but Chatter requires GroupWise to "listen" continuously (I've forgotten the actual term that the Chatter tech folks use), and GroupWise cannot be configured to do that. So Chatter won't work with GroupWise -- or so my experience shows me.

There are several ways to get e-mail from a GroupWise account: wirelessly via SnapperMail and VersaMail (and numerous other e-mail clients, like Aileron). Some of these e-mail clients allow the Treo to "pull" e-mail from the GroupWise account automatically. It's not "push" but if you can set the pull for every 15 minutes, realistically, how many of us really need e-mail as soon as it comes into the GroupWise account, given that the Internet is not, itself, instantaneous. The other ways to get e-mail from GroupWise are via WebAccess, i.e., you are logging directly into a web version of your actual GroupWise account. There is a special pda version of GroupWise WebAccess which formats the GroupWise "desktop" for the small pda form factor. And another way of getting e-mail from GroupWise is to synchronize it when you synchronize the Treo with your desktop computer. (This is assuming you are using a PC; I'm not conversant with Macs). VersaMail allows you to configure the Treo to get e-mail wirelessly, or, by using the desktop VersaMail component, sync e-mail between Groupwise and the Treo through the Hotsync cradle. Hope this helps...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the thorough response. The IT administrators are freaks. They will not open up ports to allow IMAP access to GW. So I've been trying to find a workaround. Imagine a situation where you had to work around your IT department. This is essentially what I have to do. Currently, the only remote access I have is through GoToMyPC, which, of course, is not support Palm OS.

What settings do you use for Snapper for Groupwise IMAP? Perhaps there is a way I can do this without bugging the IT folks?

Do you understand my dilemma?

Quote Originally Posted by afr
    Our agency uses GroupWise 6.5. I use SnapperMail to access my IMAP e-mail account, and automatically "pull" my mail at regular intervals. VersaMail also has this capability. I looked for a "push" solution to GroupWise and thought Chatter was the answer, but Chatter requires GroupWise to "listen" continuously (I've forgotten the actual term that the Chatter tech folks use), and GroupWise cannot be configured to do that. So Chatter won't work with GroupWise -- or so my experience shows me.

There are several ways to get e-mail from a GroupWise account: wirelessly via SnapperMail and VersaMail (and numerous other e-mail clients, like Aileron). Some of these e-mail clients allow the Treo to "pull" e-mail from the GroupWise account automatically. It's not "push" but if you can set the pull for every 15 minutes, realistically, how many of us really need e-mail as soon as it comes into the GroupWise account, given that the Internet is not, itself, instantaneous. The other ways to get e-mail from GroupWise are via WebAccess, i.e., you are logging directly into a web version of your actual GroupWise account. There is a special pda version of GroupWise WebAccess which formats the GroupWise "desktop" for the small pda form factor. And another way of getting e-mail from GroupWise is to synchronize it when you synchronize the Treo with your desktop computer. (This is assuming you are using a PC; I'm not conversant with Macs). VersaMail allows you to configure the Treo to get e-mail wirelessly, or, by using the desktop VersaMail component, sync e-mail between Groupwise and the Treo through the Hotsync cradle. Hope this helps...
    Here's another possible option for you, that would provide a form of "push" technology (technically not reall push, but it's close).

I'd first have to assume to things, 1) Your IT department allows outgoing rule based emails (on some systems, this is disabled to prevent loops caused by mail list subscriptions) 2) Your IT department has web access set up.

If those things are both true, you can set up a rule in GroupWise to send an SMS to your treo when you receive an email (if you want, you can also make it so it's only emails from certain people, certain domains, etc - handy if you get too much spam). In that rule, you can set the SMS message so that it includes a link to your corporate web site so you can just hit the address with the stylus, and go to the website.
  7.    #7  
    Condition 1 is true. Condition 2 I'm afraid is not. The only access we have to our network is through GoToMyPC over the web. This is complete remote access. However, this is silly if one only needs to check corporate email. I have to log into the whole network just to check email!?

Alternatively, I can check is web access is set up for us. I highly doubt it though.

Update: I just tried checking with Name and Pass (I assumed this would be my name to log into GW client on desktop). Didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    Here's another possible option for you, that would provide a form of "push" technology (technically not reall push, but it's close).

I'd first have to assume to things, 1) Your IT department allows outgoing rule based emails (on some systems, this is disabled to prevent loops caused by mail list subscriptions) 2) Your IT department has web access set up.

If those things are both true, you can set up a rule in GroupWise to send an SMS to your treo when you receive an email (if you want, you can also make it so it's only emails from certain people, certain domains, etc - handy if you get too much spam). In that rule, you can set the SMS message so that it includes a link to your corporate web site so you can just hit the address with the stylus, and go to the website.
    Have you looked at www.mailwave.com?

PalmLover
  9. afr
    Well, I happen to be one of the IT freaks in my agency, the director. We have as much security on our system as anyone, maybe more. We don't see a problem with connecting to our GroupWise accounts with Treos and encourage their use. We allow connection to our RAS by our employees using laptops, and Treos are simply more of the same.

There are some settings of GroupWise that make sending remote e-mail a little bit of a problem. One is the design inherent in GroupWise to not "listen" (or whatever Chatter techs call it) continuously. Chatter, therefore, will not work with GroupWise for the "push" capability so many of us like. Another issue that has come up is that GroupWise won't allow the Treo user to use GroupWise's smtp gateway to send outgoing mail from the Treo. Instead, Treo users (at least Sprint users) find themselves having to use Sprint's smtp gateway. This, actually, is not a limitation of GroupWise or other organization e-mail servers, but a decision by the software publishers to make their product more secure. Allowing users from outside the firewall to access the GroupWise smtp gateway (even with a password, which can be broken) simply exposes the organization to outsiders using the organization's e-mail capability to launch denial of service attacks or spam attacks.

Sprint and other ISPs realize this and provide their smtp services to accommodate remote sending of e-mail. This just shouldn't be a problem for anyone. Sprint does have an awkward password scheme, requiring not one, but three, passwords to remember. The password to remember in setting up the Sprint smtp services is the Sprint Mail password. But the Sprint Treo user also needs to access their Sprint account and establish their Sprint mail account before the smtp service is available (don't ask me how I know this).

As for your IT shop, ask if they have a RAS (remote access server) set up for mobile employees. Ask them if Groupwise is set up to be access via the RAS server. If so, ask them for the IP address of this server. That is the address you want to use for the incoming mail server. You will also need your email login ID and password. For the outgoing mail portion of the e-mail client on the Treo use your Sprint user name (just your name, not including the @sprintpcs.com part), and your Sprint Mail password. The server address is smtp.sprintpcs.com.

BTW, I have used VersaMail and SnapperMail extensively. Both access my IMAP GroupWise account and two POP3 accounts. There is simply no reason why your IT shop can't set up your GroupWise account for remote access.
  10.    #10  
    Afr, thanks for the excellent explanation.

Are you familiar with NotifyLink? It appears to be a "push" like solution (a la BlackBerry) for GroupWise.
  11.    #11  
    Also, if I click under "Accounts" in GroupWise it is completely greyed out. Is it normal for IT to do this?
  12.    #12  
    Afr, couldn't it be possible to set up a Groupwise IMAP folder in Fastmail and then have Fastmail notify Chatter of incoming Groupwise emails? This could be a possible "push" solution, no?

Quote Originally Posted by afr
    Well, I happen to be one of the IT freaks in my agency, the director. We have as much security on our system as anyone, maybe more. We don't see a problem with connecting to our GroupWise accounts with Treos and encourage their use. We allow connection to our RAS by our employees using laptops, and Treos are simply more of the same.

There are some settings of GroupWise that make sending remote e-mail a little bit of a problem. One is the design inherent in GroupWise to not "listen" (or whatever Chatter techs call it) continuously. Chatter, therefore, will not work with GroupWise for the "push" capability so many of us like. Another issue that has come up is that GroupWise won't allow the Treo user to use GroupWise's smtp gateway to send outgoing mail from the Treo. Instead, Treo users (at least Sprint users) find themselves having to use Sprint's smtp gateway. This, actually, is not a limitation of GroupWise or other organization e-mail servers, but a decision by the software publishers to make their product more secure. Allowing users from outside the firewall to access the GroupWise smtp gateway (even with a password, which can be broken) simply exposes the organization to outsiders using the organization's e-mail capability to launch denial of service attacks or spam attacks.

Sprint and other ISPs realize this and provide their smtp services to accommodate remote sending of e-mail. This just shouldn't be a problem for anyone. Sprint does have an awkward password scheme, requiring not one, but three, passwords to remember. The password to remember in setting up the Sprint smtp services is the Sprint Mail password. But the Sprint Treo user also needs to access their Sprint account and establish their Sprint mail account before the smtp service is available (don't ask me how I know this).

As for your IT shop, ask if they have a RAS (remote access server) set up for mobile employees. Ask them if Groupwise is set up to be access via the RAS server. If so, ask them for the IP address of this server. That is the address you want to use for the incoming mail server. You will also need your email login ID and password. For the outgoing mail portion of the e-mail client on the Treo use your Sprint user name (just your name, not including the @sprintpcs.com part), and your Sprint Mail password. The server address is smtp.sprintpcs.com.

BTW, I have used VersaMail and SnapperMail extensively. Both access my IMAP GroupWise account and two POP3 accounts. There is simply no reason why your IT shop can't set up your GroupWise account for remote access.