1.    #1  
    See attached pic of inside of back cover . On the left is the speaker, on the right top is the mic. What is the part below the mic? It has 2 contacts, a half round shaft that rotates. What does it do? I tried measuring it wth an ohmmeter and the only thing I can see is a reading that jumps around as I rotate the shaft but there is no steady state resistance reading. ???????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    isn't that the vibrator? as in vibrate mode?
    as in weak as all hell

hehe
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by matsby
    isn't that the vibrator? as in vibrate mode?
    That silver thing is definitely the vibrator. I used to repair pagers and that's what they looked like.
  5.    #5  
    iI always thought the vibrator was built into the battery. Not so I guess. Thanks for the answer.
    That is definitely the vibrator. I've open up several brand phones, and as Adam mentioned, pagers before and they all look similar to that.
    It's the speaker! Turn the device around. That is why there is a grid over it...to allow the sound to come out. The vibrator would not need a grid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas777
    It's the speaker! Turn the device around. That is why there is a grid over it...to allow the sound to come out. The vibrator would not need a grid.
    Uh, no. Thats the vibrator. Vibrators work by spinning a weight around off axis. Shakes the whole thing up a bit. Similar to your washing machine when the clothes aren't loaded correctly.

If your curious visit one of those toy stores and check out the new see-through models. You will find the same thing. The bigger the weight the bigger the vibration, and the larger the battery that is required.
    I believe that you are all wrong about the part. The part in the picture is actually a Flux Capacitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas777

1,000,000% it's the vibarator. And to JamesKeys' point I think it runs on 1.21 GIGAWATTS.
    Yep, JamesKeys is right, definitely a Flux Capacitor. While it looks much like the old-style pager vibrator, it's actually quite different, and essential for time-space manipulation. Good eye, JamesKeys!
    --- Baba
    I'm a Doctor Jim... not an Engineer!
    Could be an X-C Condenser, used to build an Interociter.
    Actually, I think it may be a quantum phase inhibitor.

Be sure not to use your treo near the surface of the sun, because it might just blow up the whole solar system.