1.    #1  
    Hi - This is my first post on this site!
    I've looked everywhere...so...is there a way to wirelessly HotSync a Treo 600 with Mac Powewrbook equipped with Airport?
    BTW - I recently purchased Missing Sync (believing that this would solve the problem)...FYI, I was not impressed with its operation - and it led to all sorts of data problems (duplicating files here and there etc) and was not compatible with two of my key 3rd party conduits.
    The Treo 600 does not have the capability to wirelessly sync via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or any other technology.

Perhaps try signing up for their beta. They are working on a 4.0.1 release that adds and solves quite a list of things. Should be ready for final release in the next week or two.
    I believe it would be possible to add an irda/usb adapter on the mac, don't you ?
    But I don't know where to buy this adapter ...
    You can do an ırda synch. My TiBook 550 has an ırda port built-in (the last one that did), but you can get adapters. Not really worth it IMHO, to add a corded irda adapter to your Mac to do an irda synch which is only a few inches away. OTOH, when your 180's connector goes whacky and the USB synch stops working properly (ggrrrrr!) it is great to be able to irda synch.

I am deliberately holding out for BlueTooth before upgrading from my 180. Can't wait, OSX and BT really are a sweet pair.
    -mbd26
    Quote Originally Posted by jojomail
    I believe it would be possible to add an irda/usb adapter on the mac, don't you ?
    But I don't know where to buy this adapter ...
    This is true.

I have wrote IR off in my mind though because it seems ridiculous to have to walk up to your desktop and visibly line up the front of the Treo with the adapters hanging off a cord plugged into your USB port.

Plus I just prefer to get the faster syncing of USB along with the additional 40x speed of desktop mounting with MS for file transfers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    I am deliberately holding out for BlueTooth before upgrading from my 180. Can't wait, OSX and BT really are a sweet pair.
    I had a Treo 180k too. Then I got a T600. I kinda wish I had waited till the Treo had Bluetooth. When I bought it though, they made it sound like it would eventually have it. They even spoke of it in a press release.
    Yeah, my wife makes me crazy, she has BT on her phone (SE T616) and NEVER bothers to use it with her iBook. I showed her how when a call comes in the ID comes up on the computer screen, how do send photos to the desktop, read SMS messages on the iBook as they come in... she don't care! And here's me with my 180 jonesing for BT!

Ah well, I've waited this long, I can wait just a few more months...
    -mbd26
    Could this be possible with BT?

BT phone is in bedroom. I'm working on Powerbook (with BT, of course). Comes into cell phone and I don't hear it. However, number comes up on PB screen. Can I use a.) a bluetooth headset and answer the phone while seeing on the screen who's calling, phone #, etc., or b.) the PB to answer the phone and speak to them via the built in mic/speaker?

The convo can even be recorded, etc. The possibilities are probably endless!
    For what it's worth OS X will definitely not support IrDA even if you add an external "receiver." AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $3rd$ $party$ $way$ $to$ $add$ $this$ $capability$ $either$, $not$ $even$ $the$ $Keyspan$ $digital$ $media$ $remote$.
    I use IrDA to sync my T600 to my Ti/400 under 10.3.5. Works like a charm. I used to do an IR sync with my m130 in everything from 9.1 through 10.2.
    -------------
    http://www.rezonate.com/walkabout/whatsonmytreo600.html
    Also for what it's worth, MissingSync does now provide the ability to sync wirelessly. It's really slow though, more so than syncing wirelessly to HotSync on a PC. But it works.
    Yeah, my wife makes me crazy, she has BT on her phone (SE T616) and NEVER bothers to use it with her iBook. I showed her how when a call comes in the ID comes up on the computer screen, how do send photos to the desktop, read SMS messages on the iBook as they come in... she don't care! And here's me with my 180 jonesing for BT!

Ah well, I've waited this long, I can wait just a few more months...
    Umm, how do you have the phone info come up on your computer screen? I have a Nokie 3650 and a PowerBook G4. Is there a site I could go visit to learn stuff like that. The only think I use BT for is to sync my phone with my AddressBook and iCal, and to send pics between them.

Thanks!
    Sorry MacUser for the late reply. I'll tell you what I remember, but you should be able to get more details from the Help browser on your Mac as well as the Apple web site.

You have to have the device (phone) paired to the Mac, an easy process. Go to the BT section of your system preferences. Then the trick is to have Apple's Address Book application open (this app either came with your Mac or you can get it with iLife, maybe even download it for free). If you are like me and use Entourage (or Palm DT or some other app) you will need to import all of your contacts into the Apple Addressbook. Then, in the Address Book window there is a BT icon (upper right, methinks) that you need to click to turn on, then it glows blue. Then you can minimize (but don't close) the Addressbook App and do whatever you do on your computer. If the phone rings or an SMS comes in, it pops up on your Mac's screen. Play with it, it is sweet.

Try it and post here your results. Bonne Chance...
    -mbd26
    Sorry MacUser for the late reply. I'll tell you what I remember, but you should be able to get more details from the Help browser on your Mac as well as the Apple web site.

You have to have the device (phone) paired to the Mac, an easy process. Go to the BT section of your system preferences. Then the trick is to have Apple's Address Book application open (this app either came with your Mac or you can get it with iLife, maybe even download it for free). If you are like me and use Entourage (or Palm DT or some other app) you will need to import all of your contacts into the Apple Addressbook. Then, in the Address Book window there is a BT icon (upper right, methinks) that you need to click to turn on, then it glows blue. Then you can minimize (but don't close) the Addressbook App and do whatever you do on your computer. If the phone rings or an SMS comes in, it pops up on your Mac's screen. Play with it, it is sweet.

Try it and post here your results. Bonne Chance...
    You were dead on! I never noticed that Bluetooth icon on the top LEFT corner in the Address Book application, which I already use since I use .Mac for multiple computers.

That is a really cool feature, and I think it will help me keep my phone paired longer. I have found that it wears off for some reason during long synchs.

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    For what it's worth OS X will definitely not support IrDA even if you add an external "receiver." AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $3rd$ $party$ $way$ $to$ $add$ $this$ $capability$ $either$, $not$ $even$ $the$ $Keyspan$ $digital$ $media$ $remote$.
    Not sure exactly what you are saying here, but the Keyspan digital media remote is supported under Mac OSX:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/remote/

Or are you talking about using the Keyspan to communicate with the Treo somehow?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowmeow
    Hi - This is my first post on this site!
    I've looked everywhere...so...is there a way to wirelessly HotSync a Treo 600 with Mac Powewrbook equipped with Airport?
    BTW - I recently purchased Missing Sync (believing that this would solve the problem)...FYI, I was not impressed with its operation - and it led to all sorts of data problems (duplicating files here and there etc) and was not compatible with two of my key 3rd party conduits.
    You can sync over the Internet (using whatever data package your phone service provides) by setting HotSync to "Direct to Modem". Then enter the following information in Primary PC setup:

PC: !!
    IP: your.static.ip.here

You can leave the subnet blank. The !! is needed, otherwise the field will reset to the hostname of the machine you're connecting to every time you sync (took me awhile to figure that out).

You will need to open (and possibly forward, if you're using NAT) tcp & udp ports 14237-14238 on whatever firewall hard/software you're running.

I've used this successfully with both a Kyocera 7135 and a Palm 600 on Verizon, connecting to both a PC as well as a Mac (you need to have HotSync running constantly in order for this to work, as well as enable sync over network).
    Quote Originally Posted by griboyedov
    I've used this successfully with both a Kyocera 7135 and a Palm 600 on Verizon, connecting to both a PC as well as a Mac (you need to have HotSync running constantly in order for this to work, as well as enable sync over network).
    How did you enable sync over network with HotSync on the Mac? I've never figured a way to do this. I've gotten MissingSync to do it.
    I hate to dig up such an ancient thread, but how do you enable network syncing in hotsync manager? Or is it possible?