1.    #1  
    I know the subject has been beaten to death, but here goes.

I wasn't totally convinced that I wanted or needed WiFi on my Treo that has a unlimited data plan, even-though I have WiFi in my Powerbook, home, work and local cafes that I go to daily. "Until Today" I stopped in my local Circuit City to pick up something and decided to take a look at the PDA's. I picked up a Tungsten C, ran the WiFi set up, located the WiFi network CC has set up in the computer area in the back of the store (PDA's up front) I had a connection within seconds. Now I'm "hooked"! Got to have it on the next Treo. If the Tungsten C had Bluetooth I would probably go ahead and buy one now.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Wi-fi and VOIP!
    Every pixel a picasso
    Wifi, Wi-Fi and WIFI
    Go Wifi!
    It is rumored that Skype will release a Palm version of their VOIP software within weeks. That would be sweet. What would be even sweeter is if the 650 could use it
    Wi-Fi (w/ WPA support!!!)
    Same thing happened for me when I tried one at the Apple Store. I was so much faster than Sprint data, which is currently the fastest data network the Treo can access. Free Wi-Fi is in many places in the Bay Area and it would dramatically change how I use the Treo. I'd also use it much more at home if it was connected to my wifi network--I generally get 0-1 bars of reception where I live (a flat, heavily populated part of Oakland near major freeways) and in 4 years of having sprint, it hasn't improved. Instead of always going to the computer room when I want the net, I could use my wifi Treo instead. C'mon Palm please give us WiFi!
    Same here. I was at compusa and I picked up the Tungten C and started playing with it. I thought about getting it in addition to my Treo, but I'm not sure how I'd use both devices, what a pain it would be to have some info here, some there. Also it's a different OS and some of my favorite apps wouldn't work on the Tungten when I beamed them over.
    I really wish we had Wifi for the Treo, that's all there is to it.
    Of course if they could get UMTS in the Treo, that would pretty much solve the problem, UMTS being broadband speed.
    Wifi would also solve the simultaneous data/voice connection problem, no? You could be browsing the net, im'ing, etc. with still on a call.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    And Intel is positioning WiMAX as the trump card in wireless comm (802.16). This looks like the successor to Wi-fi, and will kill GPRS, CDMA, 1xEvDo...

VoIP; the future is now !!!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Not to be a WiFi popo'er, but comparing the WiFi on a Tungsten C with its XScale 400MHz processor vs The Treo 600 with its anemic 144MHz processor using GPRS is not exactly a fair comparison.

The fact of the matter (IMO) is that the Treo is very slow no matter how you connect to the Internet. Certainly some of the speed increase is from WiFi, but Iíll bet that most of the increase in speed is because the Tungsten is just a bunch faster than the Treo.

For instance try going back a page in blazer and have the page redrawn from cache. It can often take almost as long as loading the page initially. Also, I can usually surf faster on my PC connected via PDAnet using my Treo than I can on blazer on the Treo itself. The difference is even more dramatic when using that much faster Sprint connection.

Another similar example, try surfing the internet on an old Pentium II 266MHz system then using the same connection surf with a modern 2+GHz system and everything is faster. Is the connection to the internet faster somehow? No, but the faster machine, just does everything faster.

So for me WiFi would be awesome, but having the machine run faster all around and get more out of the existing connections would be just as great
    Excellent point willp2. I guess I still think of my Treo as fast because it's so much faster than the T300. I was thinking more that wifi needs to be on the 650, which will have a much faster processor according to rumors.
    Still, the sprint users (100kbps+) enjoy faster everything than us GSM users at (30kbps-) Still a valid point.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Plues the Ace wil have a much faster CPU, no ?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Still, the sprint users (100kbps+) enjoy faster everything than us GSM users at (30kbps-) Still a valid point.
    When I used the Sprint Treo, I was struck with how it wasn't that much faster than GPRS. It was indeed faster, but not by as much as it should have.

The place I saw the difference was using the Sprint phone with PdaNet and my laptop. When using it for pure data with a fast computer the difference was striking.

Hopefully we'll get the best of both worlds with the 650, a faster more optimzed machine and WiFi.
    Since HTC already shipped out the 650's to PalmOne, isn't it kinda late in the game for PalmOne to add Wi-fi? I also wish that it has it, but we just have to face the fact that it doesn't.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Since HTC already shipped out the 650's to PalmOne, isn't it kinda late in the game for PalmOne to add Wi-fi? I also wish that it has it, but we just have to face the fact that it doesn't.
    I agree, thatís why I am hoping that the machine itself will be more efficient and make better use of whatever bandwidth it does have. Correctly optimized, even 30-50kbps can be very usable and much faster than what we have had.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    And who says the Ace doesn't accept the Palm Wi-fi SD card ? It hasn't been reported that it won't, just hasn't been reported.