Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I call AT&T customer sales this afternoon. I explained that my commitment was up and I wanted information on the new Treo coming out. The rep told me that they have not been informed of this device, as a matter of fact he said he had heard of it from another customer, but nowhere else.

He checked all the internal systems to see if he could find any information on if it even existed, and found nothing. He then told me that even if they got the phone tommorrow, it would be several months before they would approve it for the AT&T network.

I would say that I am pretty discouranged by the lack of information from Palm. I want to buy a smartphone and liked the Treo, however I am not going to 1) buy a 600 now and make a new commitment to AT&T, or 2) wait months for AT&T to offer this phone.

I think the lack of information is going to drive customers to look at other devices and service providers especially since so many people have service commitments that are fulfilled around Christmas (since the phones were marketed and purchsed around christmas one or two years ago)

I think that Palm needs to make an announcement soon, since there are starting to be several alternative devices coming to market. The one thing I know is that at least one potential customer is starting to look for an alternative.

Just my two cents (probably all its worth)
    Shhh...Rome won't believe you.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Well following that line of logic you should never purchase another electronic device, because there is always something "newer" or "better" just a few months away...

The point is buy what you like, when you can, when it's avalible, and don't lament the fact that technology changes, embrace it. If you have an "older" device, there are less chances of problems existing, or if there are problem, some inventive developers have probably come up with a work around for the older device already.

My $0.02
  4.    #4  
    Thats why I'm looking at altenative devices that are available or have announced availability dates. My point is that Palm could influence my decision with some information, like specs, availability ect. But, given the information available, (or lack of), and alternatives. I will not buy a Treo 600 now. I have been with AT&T for 10 years and now they too risk losing my business should I decide to go with a device that they do not offer, or will not in a timely fashion.

Just as you suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Shhh...Rome won't believe you.
    SV/Hengeem,

I believe that Treo 650 will be readily available by this coming Christmas, if not earlier. And I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. What about you?
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    a new contract. ATT will be glad to accept your biz under the current terms indefinitely. Just chill for 30-60 days until the 650 is released. Palm wants to release the 650 to the market as badly as we do for competitive reasons. But a premature announcement or release would be disastrous.
    Last edited by DHart; 09/15/2004 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    ATT will be glad to accept your biz under the current terms indefinitely.
    Very very true - I think I'm on my 5th year or so of "expired contract month-to-month extension" with AT&T (Wireless) with my ancient dumb nokia.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    I think that Palm needs to make an announcement soon, since there are starting to be several alternative devices coming to market. The one thing I know is that at least one potential customer is starting to look for an alternative.

Just my two cents (probably all its worth)
    I think that if Palm makes an announcement it will undercut all the people currently buying Treo 600 who don't know about the Treo 650. Those sales might not happen if Palm open comes out and says, "There's somethign new coming around the corner." People will just wait for the new device.

Check out the Mossberg comment in another thread that the new phone might be offered by just one carrier until 2005. Yet another thread says that you can get $100 worth of accessories (in the Mac and Treo forum) with the purchase of a Treo 600. These two events tell me that the Treo 650 is coming and probably in the October 20th timeframe that's been passed around this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    Thats why I'm looking at altenative devices that are available or have announced availability dates. My point is that Palm could influence my decision with some information, like specs, availability ect. But, given the information available, (or lack of), and alternatives. I will not buy a Treo 600 now. I have been with AT&T for 10 years and now they too risk losing my business should I decide to go with a device that they do not offer, or will not in a timely fashion.

Just as you suggest.
    No one is supposed to _KNOW_ about the Treo 650 yet. Palm doesn't owe you or anyone anything until they're ready to market it. When you market a new model, you immediately and forever undercut the sales of the current model. If your current model is selling like hotcakes then you are under no pressure whatsoever to drastically pre-announce a future model. That would be financial suicide.

When Palm gets their inventory of Treo 600's down to what they consider a target level, THEN they will come out with the Treo 650. This is a far better route for a company to go than to say to follow in the footsteps of Samsung who constantly announces new vaporware product after product and then delays the launch 6 or 7 times before finally coming out with the eventually outdated product. Its also far more important for PalmOne to take the time to do this phone right and avoid the manufacturing nightmare that the current Treo 600 is quality wise.
    Jim, your biggest issue might be your carrier not your device. Since you're on this board I assume you know about the fact that you're now with Cingular, not AT&T (although your bill doesn't say that yet). So future marketing practices, etc. will mirror that of the carrier you didn't chose before. Ironic - yes.

As for AT&T in the future, they are going to market with a re-sell of SprintPCS, which is what many carriers are doing in the US (Qwest, AT&T, etc.).

So, if you DO feel compelled to make a choice on a Treo, it might be timely in October for you to consider the new model with SprintPCS. At the very least your monthly wireless bill will go down, and your service will increase (how's that for biased ).

[former AT&T customer who saved money by moving to Nextel, who then saved money again by moving to SprintPCS, and now with portability will save money with anyone that has a national network in the top 200 cities]
    KitMoni
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    Jim, your biggest issue might be your carrier not your device. Since you're on this board I assume you know about the fact that you're now with Cingular, not AT&T (although your bill doesn't say that yet). So future marketing practices, etc. will mirror that of the carrier you didn't chose before. Ironic - yes.
    While I agree with most of your points - Sprint's growth this year is far exceeding expectations and they are on the upward move with over $28billion in market cap - your comment about AT&T and Cingular is just plain wrong. The FCC hasn't even voted on the merger/acquisition yet, and AT&T and Cingular are still in "white room" discussions. The merger/acquisition isn't complete, and will not be for at least another month, at which time AT&T and Cingular can actually begin to talk about how to bring the two companies together. But if you're with AT&T at present, you're with AT&T. Period. And your bill probably wont say "Cingular" for quite some time to come...
    i was disappointed when i had to leave AT&T for sprint when the treo300 first came out, as they had the best service in my area. now i'm glad they are talking about the 650 being sprint-first, since sprint still has what seems to be the best data deal by far.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I don't consider the $19.99 Media Works Package including unlimited Web, 5000 SMS and 400 MMS too shabby....
    I have detailed files.
    jimhy, hey dude why dont you wait until palm one comes out with a treo 650 and buy a unlocked one thats what im going to do to replace my 600. hope this helps just have patiance, GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSES WHO WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    I don't consider the $19.99 Media Works Package including unlimited Web, 5000 SMS and 400 MMS too shabby....
    I've been with Cingular for 6 years - seemed like a no-brainer to sign up for the Media Works when my wife bought me a Treo. Reading posts complaining about outrageous bills from Verizon et al, the Cingular/ATT offering seems way too good to pass up. Using same phone when out of the country is also a big big plus.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680
    Quote Originally Posted by orville
    I've been with Cingular for 6 years - seemed like a no-brainer to sign up for the Media Works when my wife bought me a Treo. Reading posts complaining about outrageous bills from Verizon et al, the Cingular/ATT offering seems way too good to pass up. Using same phone when out of the country is also a big big plus.
    Some people like myself left Cellular One (now Cingular) because of poor coverage in my area. I went to Verizon 5 years ago when I couldn't even get Cell One coverage in South Boston! Anyway, I'm sure coverage is better now but I still find Verizon to have the best. Of course, Verizon is waaaaay to expensive for data plans so I've been considering Sprint since they have gotten much better but Verizon still has the best coverage IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    No one is supposed to _KNOW_ about the Treo 650 yet. Palm doesn't owe you or anyone anything until they're ready to market it.
    Thank you! I've been trying to say that in other posts. We have the pictures but probably aren't supposed to even know about those. They owe us nothing. All Boston guys must think alike!
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Some people like myself left Cellular One (now Cingular) because of poor coverage in my area. I went to Verizon 5 years ago when I couldn't even get Cell One coverage in South Boston! Anyway, I'm sure coverage is better now but I still find Verizon to have the best. Of course, Verizon is waaaaay to expensive for data plans so I've been considering Sprint since they have gotten much better but Verizon still has the best coverage IMO.
    For the long term, remember that ALL carriers are converting to GSM/(GPRS or EDGE). Cingular (combination of Bell South & SBC) merging with ATT means huge coverage. With NC for roaming, coverage in any area becomes a non issue.

My only problem is I go to the hinterlands where today there's only AMPS -
    sometimes almost miss my Nokia tri-mode (just kidding).
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680
    Quote Originally Posted by orville
    For the long term, remember that ALL carriers are converting to GSM/(GPRS or EDGE). Cingular (combination of Bell South & SBC) merging with ATT means huge coverage. With NC for roaming, coverage in any area becomes a non issue.

My only problem is I go to the hinterlands where today there's only AMPS -
    sometimes almost miss my Nokia tri-mode (just kidding).
    ALL carriers are not converting to GSM/(GPRS or EDGE)
    I believe you mean only ATT, Cingular and T-Mobile.
    Sprint, Verizon and Nextel would have some pretty pissed off customers if they converted to GSM.
    They could slowly convert, could they and not **** poeple off?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast