1.    #1  
    After many acts of phone abuse, I was dismayed that after falling a mere two feet onto the floor, my Treo finally gave up the ghost. There were no outside signs of trauma, but it was off and nothing was making it turn back on.

In an attempt to troubleshoot, I plugged it into the wall, and had partial success. It turned on again (and acted like a brand new Treo, fresh out of the box), but he radio wouldn't connect to my carrier. It sounded like maybe the battery was loose (except for the radio part) so i decided to crack it open and see if the battery leads had come loose. Luckily, I had the little torx wrench left over from when I upgraded the standard battery with an aftermarket one a couple of months back. Everything was in its place, and was still dead as a door nail.

I decided to give in, and call the Sprint Phone Insurance people and get a replacement. This isn't my first choice, because you only get to go this option twice a year. If the 650 (which I am itching for) ends up unreliable or fragile and out of warrantee, I want to have all the coverage I can. Unfortunately, the 600 is in backorder with them, and I have to wait a week or so.

While I am waiting, I decide that, for a couple of reasons, I will salvage my extended battery from the phone. First of all, I paid good money for it, and don't want to just send it back. Secondly, I don't want the my handywork of violating the factory warantee to be that obvious. Luckily, I kept the old battery. But, low and behold, when the old battery is installed, my Treo comes back to life as good as new. I guess if I had been thinking, I would have tried this out before calling Sprint. Ah, well.

I share this story for two reasons. First of which it to warn that the extended life battery seems to be a little more fragile than you would want in a portable device prone to abuse, like cell phones often are. Second is to get some advice.

My replacement is already on it's way, so I can't really say "nevermind". When it arrives, should I stay with the devil I know, or the devil I don't. In otherwords, do I send back the new (I mean refurbished) and keep the one I have, or should I keep the new one and send back the old. I have had the old one for five months or so, and seems to be free of the "searching for network" problem that my previous two did. Knock wood. The new one might not. But then, my one has been beaten around a bit (not to mention cracked open three or four times because of the new battery). Which of these working and perfectly good Treos should I return? All advice welcome.
    Return the old unit and keep the new one being sent out to you. My reasoning is that you will have a warranty (6 mo) on the new one as you haven't voided it's warranty. If after 14 days it fails, take it to Sprint and get another one with another 6 mo warranty. This provided the new phone shows no signs of physical damage which will also void the warranty. If you keep the old phone you're still out the 1 claim and $35, and you'll have no warranty backing you up. As the extended battery seems to be having issues, don't install it. If you buy another one and install, you'll lose your warranty.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I have learned my lesson about the battery. The hard way.
    Druce, I am posssibly in the market for a Treo, I know nothing about them! My wife and I own a small business and may both want one. I notice from this site that you have a lot of posts and knowledge. I am hoping to get some insight on these phones. I see they have a new model coming out......should we wait or pick up one of the 'old' models for less??? We are not "up to speed" in this "tech" world!
    Barney - my advice to you, as a newbie - read, read, read through this discussion board. Do searches on specific items of interest, etc. The knowledge posted here is very relevant and comprehensive. Don't forget to check out the FAQ as well.