1.    #1  
    I have the full version of Docs to Go on my Treo, and would like to make that the default for saving txt docs downloaded from the web instead of Memo Pad. The reason, of course, is that if you download a txt doc it gets split into a bunch of different Memo Pad docs--not easy to read.

Is there any way to do this?

Irwin
    This is a workaround which works for me: from a webpage on the treo, push "select all", and then "copy". Then in Docs to Go, open a new document and "paste" the saved text into the new document.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, and that works fine if the txt link will load onto the screen. But on some site, when I click on a txt link, the Treo comes back with a message asking me if I want to download the file, and if I say yes, it puts it into Memo Pad (multiple instances). There are no options when this dialog comes up to send the file to a particular program or destination--it's either "OK" or "cancel". I can't figure out why some sites do it and others don't--it's not related to the size of the file.

Anyone else come across this?

Irwin
    Resco Explorer has an option to change exchange preferencies.
    File extension managers like Toysoft's Media Manger and Receiveit will also let you specify which apps to assign to different file types...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Thanks very much for your suggestions. I tried both Resco and Media Manager, and in both cases Docs to Go doesn't show up as registered for receiving txt files. So I guess what I will need to do is get a better txt reader and install that in place of Memo Pad.

Thanks again.

Irwin

P.S. gfunkmagic, your avatar is mesmerizing.
  7.    #7  
    Update--downloaded SimpleEdit (freeware!), a text editor, and switch txt association to Media Manager. Voila--files download to my SD card, where I can open them with SimpleEdit.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Irwin
    As gfunk suggested, extension managers do wonders for these types of problems.

As for the text editor, check out SiEd. Its free and has some nice features. BTW to do a full page up/down hold Option while pressing up/down. I actually wrote a good portion of a custom replacement for the UNIX wall command using SiEd and the external keyboard!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  9.    #9  
    Yup, that's the one I was talking about--SiEd.

Irwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Shur
    Update--downloaded SimpleEdit (freeware!), a text editor, and switch txt association to Media Manager. Voila--files download to my SD card, where I can open them with SimpleEdit.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Irwin
    Yeah, SiED is an awesome little freeware gem! In addition, you should also checkout VFSi which can load/edit txt files from the card and Miniword which is a nice freeware word processor for PalmOs...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions