Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a hack to indicate how many messages that are waiting?
    I found a cool way to check and see how many messages are waiting.

Call voicemail. If that indicator is on, there is at least one message.

Why do you need to know how many. Do you only like to check your messages if there is a certain number? I dont get it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Is there a hack to indicate how many messages that are waiting?
    If you find one, let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Why do you need to know how many. Do you only like to check your messages if there is a certain number? I dont get it.
    Some people check their messages INSTANTLY; I dont check my voice mail the second a caller leaves a message. Once that VM icon is there, you wouldnt know if there is one message or 20 messages; and you wont know this until you go to retrieve them.

Having some type of VM counter, IMHO, is a wonderful idea.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I guess I just dont see the point. Knowing there is voicemail is enough for me. I'll find out how many there are when I check. I fail to see the need to see how many. And the coolest part it I dont have to wait for someone to develope the app to find out.

Do regular cell phones indicate the number of messages or just the presence of at least one?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    What would be tres cool is if there was a hack to allow the LED indicator to 'blink' the amount of VM's you have - like answering machines. But at a minimum I miss the # of messages indicator. My LG VX6000 (also on Verizon) would tell me on screen how many voice mails I had.

Btw, there are many times where I might be away from my cell for a few hours or more (God forbid!) and the message indicator light may be on. I could have 1 VM or 10! However, when I had my LG I could quickly check and if it was 1 or something I could wait until I got home to check, etc. But, when I had a few I felt an urgency to check right away (e.g. family or friend calling repeatedly to leave an urgent message...). Just a scenario.
    I guess I just dont see the point.
    LOL, I guess you dont; but that OK Woofie. I keep telling you that not EVERYTHING is meant for you to understand!

Do regular cell phones indicate the number of messages or just the presence of at least one?
    One phone I had, had this capability; but that was so long ago I couldnt begin to tell you what the model # was. What I do remember is, I also had the option to reset the indicator back to zero.

~ ScandaLous ~
  7.    #7  
    If I'm between meetings or appointments and I have only 5 minutes I want to know how many voicemails I have. If I have 10, I'm not gonna start listening to them b/c I wouldn't have enough time to listen to them all. If I only had one, I'd do a quick listen. Previous to the Treo I had cell phones that gave me the number of voicemails.

I guess I just dont see the point. Knowing there is voicemail is enough for me. I'll find out how many there are when I check. I fail to see the need to see how many. And the coolest part it I dont have to wait for someone to develope the app to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    If I'm between meetings or appointments and I have only 5 minutes I want to know how many voicemails I have. If I have 10, I'm not gonna start listening to them b/c I wouldn't have enough time to listen to them all. If I only had one, I'd do a quick listen. Previous to the Treo I had cell phones that gave me the number of voicemails.
    Now that reason makes perfect sense.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Just another example of how we all use our devices differently. Like Woof, I've never had the desire to know how many VM's I have waiting. If my VM light is on, I check my VM. If there's a hundred messages waiting for me and I only have time to listen to 3, then I listen to 3 and check the rest later.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Another example-- if you screened a call and sent that to VM, you know that the person left you a message. Say you are actively using data connection or shut the phone off for a meeting, it would be helpful to know if anyone else has called and left additional messages.

You won't necessarily know that you had missed calls, but there would be value in knowing there were *new* messages, as opposed to that person that you didn't want to talk to at the time before.

I have ignored VM indicator before and then have been surprised when I finally check VM, since there were more messages that I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Another example-- if you screened a call and sent that to VM, you know that the person left you a message. Say you are actively using data connection or shut the phone off for a meeting, it would be helpful to know if anyone else has called and left additional messages.

My sentiments exactly!
    One alternative workaround is to just check how many missed calls you have in the call log or the missed call alert. That way you can tell how many max voicemails you may have assuming everyone who called left a voicemail...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I would also like a hack like this. There are occasions when I pick up the phone WHILE someone is leaving me a message. I don't need to listen to the half-completed message from the person I just talked to, but may not immediately go in to delete that message. Later, I may find I have 4-5 new messages, and had no idea.
    PalmPilot, Palm III, Kyocera 6035, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650 (current)
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Gfunk-

As I mentioned, your suggestion would not work, because if the phone is off or your data connection is active, the device itself will never know that you missed a call, because the phone may never ring.

I am popping in and out of the subway all the time, so there won't be a missed call indicator on the phone...
    So, has anyone been able to find a hack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Just another example of how we all use our devices differently. Like Woof, I've never had the desire to know how many VM's I have waiting. If my VM light is on, I check my VM. If there's a hundred messages waiting for me and I only have time to listen to 3, then I listen to 3 and check the rest later.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I don't think anyone is going to develop a software that tells you how many VMs you have or a hack b/c that's just a waste of time creating one. First off, if you're VM indicator light comes on and you don't know how many, check your missed call log and determine it then. Secondly, don't bother checking your VM if you don't have time. Check it when you do have the time. That's why cell phones have VM and your house has an answering machine.
    I am doing this from memory but I think that the SMS notification indicates not only that you have a voice mail but it also shows how many you have. This may be a feature of the provider I am using (Rogers AT&T) but I get an SMS for every voice mail.

opus
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    One alternative workaround is to just check how many missed calls you have in the call log or the missed call alert. That way you can tell how many max voicemails you may have assuming everyone who called left a voicemail...
    This wouldnt be a feasible workaround if the person whose call was missed didnt leave a VM, hence putting those that would like this feature, back at square 1.

Quote Originally Posted by xjxoxnxbx
    Thank you for pointing that out. I don't think anyone is going to develop a software that tells you how many VMs you have or a hack b/c that's just a waste of time creating one. First off, if you're VM indicator light comes on and you don't know how many, check your missed call log and determine it then. Secondly, don't bother checking your VM if you don't have time. Check it when you do have the time. That's why cell phones have VM and your house has an answering machine.
    Maybe a waste of time for you; yet you've already agreed that many use their devices differently. So what may be a waste of time for you would be to a great advantage to me, and a many others!!
    ~ ScandaLous ~

Sometimes after I listen to a message I will "skip" it to make sure the icon stays there to remind me. Then I find out that while checking email my most important client called and I didn't know it until an hour later when I checked VM again. Sometimes I screen a caller, and then have to call VM to see if they left a message or not. It would be benificial to see if a REAL new message came in.

My last cell phone did this but it was nextel so I don't know if other Sprint or verizon phones do it or not. This was my first dissapointment with the Treo, but its a minor one

Just FYI thats all.
    I guess most of you are on sprint and that's a problem with sprint. I'm on tmobile and every time I get a voicemail, I get an sms from tmo, telling me how many voicemails I have...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast