Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You guys are right. I have purchased both and jumped in with my preference earlier in this thread. It was not the right place and I apologize.
    The moderators should make a new rule. No mention of ANY competing product in a product specifc thread started by the developer.

Now before someone flames me for saying something silly, know that I was not being serious. What better way for a developer to hear first hand what the customers want than to compare to other products? It's not like mentioning Chatter's features is going to somehow hurt Snappermail. It will only help it. Competition is good.

For what it's worth I have paid for both products and no longer use Snappermail. No imap support killed it for me. Yes I know it has it now, but I already had Chatter so why would I pay to upgrade snapper? It has an awesome interface and hopefully someday will support PUSH.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I don't mind if people compare the products. I find that to be helpful when choosing. But it would be more helpful to compare features, pros and cons, than to get sanctimonious about one or the other. It's also impossible to say one is better than the other since both don't do POP. If both had POP, IMAP, smtp or whatever, you could do a fair comparison. But no matter how great the chatter crowd claims the app to be, it's still inferior for POP users. I wish chatter did POP because then it would provide an alternative worth considering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    No push no sale. Chatter Rules!!
    I don't wish to turn this into a debate over posting do's and don'ts but is that really a comparison of Snapper to Chatter? I just don't see how that sort of post belongs in a thread letting people know about an update/enhancement to Snapper.

But that's just me. I'm silly I guess.
    In fairness, the original post was an announcement, but most that followed were 1) questions, 2) reports of problems, 3) reports from satisfied users, 4) comparisons, etc. I'd be inclined to say that Snapper users as much as Chatter users started taking the thread off-topic.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I don't wish to turn this into a debate over posting do's and don'ts but is that really a comparison of Snapper to Chatter? I just don't see how that sort of post belongs in a thread letting people know about an update/enhancement to Snapper.

But that's just me. I'm silly I guess.
    Next time I'll call you before I post so you can approve it ok. Lighten up.

And actually it is a comparison. It says no Push which Snapper doesnt have and chatter does. My statement Chatter Rules, is indicative that it does support push. Sorry I didnt word it in such a way as to make your conditions for appropriate posting.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    wow, everybody is getting so sassy...I still want to know about Blinky

Blinky? I miss you
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Sorry I didnt word it in such a way as to make your conditions for appropriate posting.
    Apology accepted.
    Well, I guess there are still some of us who use them both. Oh, well.
    I use both, personally
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology, but I always thought push referred to a technology where the server reached out and pushed the mail to the client.

Chatter, by comparison, runs in the background regularly polling the server to see if there's anything it needs to deal with.

This gives an experience quite similar to push, but at the expense of battery life and data usage and missed calls.

Or am I missing something?

(None of this is meant to criticize Chatter, which I think is quite good.)
    dbrogan - No, Chatter never polls the server for new mail. It is not similar to push, it IS push. Depending on wireless carrier and usage, battery life and missed calls aren't significant issues.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlieb
    I don't mind if people compare the products. I find that to be helpful when choosing. But it would be more helpful to compare features, pros and cons, than to get sanctimonious about one or the other. It's also impossible to say one is better than the other since both don't do POP. If both had POP, IMAP, smtp or whatever, you could do a fair comparison. But no matter how great the chatter crowd claims the app to be, it's still inferior for POP users. I wish chatter did POP because then it would provide an alternative worth considering.
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    dbrogan - No, Chatter never polls the server for new mail. It is not similar to push, it IS push. Depending on wireless carrier and usage, battery life and missed calls aren't significant issues.

Marc
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    In fairness, the original post was an announcement, but most that followed were 1) questions, 2) reports of problems, 3) reports from satisfied users, 4) comparisons, etc. I'd be inclined to say that Snapper users as much as Chatter users started taking the thread off-topic.
    Marc
    Actually the thread went off-topic with this post,
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Does it support IMAP 'push' email capabilities (a la Chatter)? If not, are you expecting to support it? If so, when?
    (#2) which appeared right after the announcement!

BTW, what I also find interesting is that 'Chatter' actually gets a sticky devoted to it and 'Snapper' doesnt; yet both apps are for the Treo?!?
    Last edited by scandalex; 09/20/2004 at 03:26 AM.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

BTW, what I also find interesting is that 'Chatter' actually gets a sticky devoted to it and 'Snapper' doesnt; yet both apps are for the Treo?!?
    Welcome back to the 3rd grade...
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

It's because Chatter and Marc have a developer forum on this site. Snapper does not.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Memo to chatter evangelizers and their zany developer:

You have your own forum now, no need to take over anymore snapper announcement threads.

/here comes marc in 3...2...1..
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The people complaining about Chatter invading this forum have taken more space up than the actual Chatter chatter. If you're so concerned about the forum sticking to the subject of Snapper, quit posting your gripes. All you're doing is adding to it.
    I don't believe I've ever been called "zany" before!

(BLASTOFF!)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast