1.    #1  
    Hi, I am looking to purchase a Treo 650 in HK next month and was wondering if anyone could give me their experiences using a Treo 600 in Mainland China. Any significant problems? Will I have any problems accessing email through the device. I would really appreciate any information... Palm has a presence for their PDA's but I have not been able to locate any Treo 600's here.
    Hi - I use my treo 600 in China all the time. The treo is a quad band so reception is great. I have no problems and it works great and also has GPRS.
    Small world, I'm also going to be heading to China and am wondering if you purchase a new sim card and us that to keep the charges down or how that sort of stuff works? I'm on attws (gsm).

Also do you have to pick up another charger or how do you charge your battery?

thanks
  4.    #4  
    bobm-- If your Treo Charger is 110-240, you can use it here, if it doesnt go that high you might blow a fuse, but I assume you will be okay. A world travel charger, available at most airports and Best Buys, Circuit City etc. is good to have as plugs are not standardized here...You can buy one here cheaply if you need to but it's always good to have one.

As far as the sim card is concerned, you can easily buy a prepaid sim card, but that will not allow you to use the data services-- no checking email and such. Otherwise you need to find a Chinese person or company to register a card for you.

But hopefully dustham knows more about this-- I think you can get a prepaid card activated to use data services, but the rates are of course higher and it takes the same amount of hassle getting someone to activate it with the phone company here...

Thanks for the info....
    Another elegant solution, if you are bringing a laptop with you and have an adapter to plug the laptop in, is to simply buy the little USB charge/sync travel cable, turn your laptop on, plug the laptop into the electrical outlet and your Treo into the laptop.

Irwin
    Quote Originally Posted by boyaka
    bobm-- If your Treo Charger is 110-240, you can use it here, if it doesnt go that high you might blow a fuse, but I assume you will be okay. A world travel charger, available at most airports and Best Buys, Circuit City etc. is good to have as plugs are not standardized here...You can buy one here cheaply if you need to but it's always good to have one.

As far as the sim card is concerned, you can easily buy a prepaid sim card, but that will not allow you to use the data services-- no checking email and such. Otherwise you need to find a Chinese person or company to register a card for you.

But hopefully dustham knows more about this-- I think you can get a prepaid card activated to use data services, but the rates are of course higher and it takes the same amount of hassle getting someone to activate it with the phone company here...

Thanks for the info....
    **** I used data services with the T-Mobile roaming carrier with no problems. Its actually how I kept in touch. Not sure what the costs were, but wasnt a problem checking with our POP server and the speed was good.

I looked into using my cell vs a calling card, and the cell phone was about 1/4 the cost. I am not sure about the prepaid sim cards, as I wanted to get calls from home on my number and not miss anything.

But really you will have zero problems with your GSM phones in China.

Dustin
    @Dustham
    Did you have to manually change the frequency to get it operate? I took an AT&T Treo 600 to Hong Kong and then Beijing. Sadly, it would not roam automatically. I bought a phone and prepaid sim as a result. The AT&T Treo was returned since I already had a VZW one.
  8. viturin
    I have a Treo 600 in China and use a China Mobile SIM. It works w/o any error and all features work great - even MMS works now! I even send and receive Chinese SMS...

excellent.

There is a thread about how to export SMS and CHinese SMS over at this link:

http://mytreo.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB....num=1095740343

--Viturin
    actually you can get gprs with a prepaid sim from china mobile, they have three brands...
    1. shenzhouxing - prepaid card with no gprs
    2. m-zone - prepaid card with gprs and all the bells whistles(voicemail, etc.)
    3. gotone - same as m-zone except there is monthly fee and minute plans, also international roaming, must apply with your passport, don't need local chinese person to register for you. can convert to m-zone and vice versa.
    Cool, will the same sim card work in Hong Kong and Beijing?
    bobm, the only one that will work in Hong Kong and Beijing is the GoTone, cuz you are considered roaming in Hong Kong, which has a different country code, even though it's part of china. You would have to turn on Internatioinal roaming for that tho, of which you would have to deposit like 1000-2000 yuan.
    If you can manage to register an account, I am sure the people in Hi-PDA can help you.

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/forumdis...d=9&sid=c7MmSD

Most of them are Chinese Treo users.