1.    #1  
    Is there any difference in the two? Let's say I Hotsynced to my PC, then performed a backup (Backupbuddy) to an SD card and then did a hard reset on my Treo. Now, would the "Restore" function of Backup Buddy or simply Hotsyncing again produce the same result?
    there can be with specific settings in the programs.

But the main reason to use an SD card backup is that if your phone eats it on the road it's a 2min fix without needing acess to anything else.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Yep Tekara is right about that. For the most part though, after a restore is done with the SD card of via hot sync, your screen will have to be recalibrated for the stylus and contrast. Ben
    I find I get a more complete restore from BackupMan than from hotsync - preferences and the like don't restore completely from hotsync.

If you use something like Backup Buddy to improve your hotsync, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  5.    #5  
    So I think I'm learning something here.....you can use something like "BackupMan" as your PC HotSync instead of the default PalmOne HotSync program? Advantages of that would be??
    No......Hotsync lets you install and lets you type long addresses and memos in on your PC ......

Backupman is a backup for recovery .....when at home it gives you another option for attempting a restore....

When on the road (away from PC) it provides a lifeline for recovering...

Having said that......getting rid of software that causes resets is a far better long term solution.
    .no sig.
  7.    #7  
    okay thanks for the info. Seems to me that if you Hot Sync and have a backup program on an SD card your're covered. Another backup program on my PC seems like overkill.