1.    #1  
    AT&T has two UMTS enabled phones, one by Motorola and one by Nokia (I believe). Why wouldn't a PDA phone/ACE have this technology. Logically, you would think that UMTS and larger screen sizes go together. If you are going to have the capability to surf on a next generation network, wouldn't you want to see more in terms of efficiently reading articles, emails, viewing pictures, etc.?

Someone help me out on this.

Thanks,

David
    UMTS is still new and would be more trouble (cost) than its worth for generating revenue at this point because the penetration is low.

UMTS has HORRIBLE battery life and would kill a PDA
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    It's going to take a while for UMTS and EV-DO to penetrate the market. You could make the same argument for GPRS being late on Treos in the beginning; Treos got GPRS when it was mature and running well.

Nokia and other really big manufacturers will always lead these technologies out because they have to prove to the networks that the backend servers and stuff they sold to the network has handsets to sell to justify the outlay - it's a circular relationship of sales driving sales when you make the infrastructure and the handsets. The early GPRS handsets were horrible and had lousy performance but it was important to have something to help build momentum in the market.
    I think that EV-DO penetration can expected next year. Expect to see EV-DO in the next Treo (fall '06). EDGE is coming of age now in the USA and globally with more growth project, so EDGE in this model would be on-time. WCDMA for Europe would be a healthy lead but too cutting edge for USA. I don't think that there are any WCDMA smartphones outside of Japan

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I think that EV-DO penetration can expected next year. Expect to see EV-DO in the next Treo (fall '06). EDGE is coming of age now in the USA and globally with more growth project, so EDGE in this model would be on-time. WCDMA for Europe would be a healthy lead but too cutting edge for USA. I don't think that there are any WCDMA smartphones outside of Japan
    Um...I assume you mean fall '05. Unless you know something that we don't?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Just speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_D
    AT&T has two UMTS enabled phones, one by Motorola and one by Nokia (I believe). Why wouldn't a PDA phone/ACE have this technology. Logically, you would think that UMTS and larger screen sizes go together. If you are going to have the capability to surf on a next generation network, wouldn't you want to see more in terms of efficiently reading articles, emails, viewing pictures, etc.?

Someone help me out on this.

Thanks,

David
    don't get me started on this topic...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=54340
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by mwylde
    Um...I assume you mean fall '05. Unless you know something that we don't?
    oh, here's a bad news for EV-DO fans....sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    don't get me started on this topic...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=54340
    lol, i guess that you are just too far ahead of the curve, probably good at picking stocks though

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey

lol, i guess that you are just too far ahead of the curve, probably good at picking stocks though
    100th monkey, I think you're the only one one these boards who truly empathizes with my desire for high speed data capabilities on my Treo
    Off to iPhone land...
    i empathize, really, i do...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Me to, me to.

However, the lack of EDGE or UTMS won't prevent me from getting the new Treo. The faster processor and hi-res screen are enough for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    100th monkey, I think you're the only one one these boards who truly empathizes with my desire for high speed data capabilities on my Treo

misery loves company, and it looks like we and the posters between us are joining in

I'd rather have EVDO for my laptop card than my Treo, but both would be way cool. Anyone have any inside scoop on Sprint's EVDO rollout. Sounds like VZW is having serious issues.
    Carl
    what is UTMS ?
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    I'd rather have EVDO for my laptop card than my Treo, but both would be way cool. Anyone have any inside scoop on Sprint's EVDO rollout. Sounds like VZW is having serious issues.
    We have more information here (time will tell if this is accurate or not):

Sprint EVDO Deployment
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    Try this:

Detailed Sprint EV-DO City Coverage Maps are posted at:

http://www.EVDOinfo.com/Sprint_EVDO_...s/EV-DO/100/0/

The tentative Sprint EVDO Deployment schedule is posted at:

http://www.evdoforums.com/about263.html
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Thanks for the links you guys. I just learned that Sprint's EVDO rollout in Minnesota is planned for this month!!! NOT Fall 2006, right now!! All right Sprint, Show Me The Handsets.
    100th Monkey, there is no way that Palm will wait a year to release the EVDO Treo. There are too many major cities that will have EVDO service this summer, if they don't have it already.