1.    #1  
    I have now idea why it happens... I just scrubbed my contacts and resynced last week. Only leeting the desktop to overwrite the contacts one time.

All perfect..

I hotsync'd today and it duplicated over 300 Random contacts.. WTF??? IT takes forever to scrub them. And I like the ability of updating the Desktop when I add a new contact while on the road.. But this is getting rediculous...

Oh, it's an ATT phone with firmware from about 2 months ago...
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    so you are syncing to two PC's (desktop and laptop I would guess)? If so, is Outlook storing them in two formats (first name last name or last name, firstname?) Check in tools>options>preferences>contact Options and see how they are formatted in each Outlook.

There is a utility called Undupe that I found to help with this phenomenon as well.

When you say random contacts-- do you mean you have more than 300 and these are just randomly chosen from somewhere?

You should be able to set the Chapura conduit to sync rather than letting the desktop overwrite the handheld- what about the way you set up Chapura for categories? There are several options available there...

Be more specific and I'll try to help.
    BackUpBuddy has a feature to remove duplicates if I'm not mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvette
    I have now idea why it happens... I just scrubbed my contacts and resynced last week. Only leeting the desktop to overwrite the contacts one time.

All perfect..

I hotsync'd today and it duplicated over 300 Random contacts.. WTF??? IT takes forever to scrub them. And I like the ability of updating the Desktop when I add a new contact while on the road.. But this is getting rediculous...

Oh, it's an ATT phone with firmware from about 2 months ago...
    The same thing (not 300 random contacts, but quite a bit!) has been happening to me to! What gives?!
    The duplication can be eliminated easily but you have to pick which set of the data you want to keep. The one on your PDA or the one on your Outlook.

This solution applies for Windows using the Pocket Mirror standard software that comes with the Palm Desktop software.

This how you resolve this: Click Start > Programs > PocketMirror > PocketMirror Settings.

This brings up the Chapura Settings window, double click your profile or the Settings button on the right.

This brings up the Change Synchronization Preference window. Double click the line where it says Outlook Contact. It may or may not prompt you to select your Outlook profile, if it does, make sure you select the right one and click ok. Otherwise, this brings you to the Preference Settings for Outlook Contacts (your outlook profile name here) screen.

On the line where it says, HotSync Action, select and there will be a panel displayed on the right with two columns. Go to the column where it says:"One Time Action of Next Sync". Select the box of either "Outlook overwrites Handheld" or "Handheld overwites Outlook".

NOTE: Which ever option you take, you may lose some of the updates you did on your PDA. The duplicates should show up on your deleted folder in Outlook where you can review and match.

Click OK box and again OK box on the "Change Synchronization Preferences" and Close on the "Chapura Settings". Then HotSync.

Primary causes of the duplicates, you update on your Outlook as well as your phone. You might also be synching on multiple PC's. Check the box where it says Multiple PC's in the Chapura Settings > Change Synchronization Preferences > Multiple PC's.

Good Luck
  6.    #6  
    I only Sync to 1 PC and occasionally at best.. meaning once every few days or up to a week...

Thanks for the info....
    I use Sperry Software's duplicate contacts eliminator...

http://www.sperrysoftware.com
    I only synch to 1 PC and that's only a few times a month because I'm so busy. I don't do any updating or changing in Outlook on my computer, only on my Treo. I've done the one-time "handheld overwrites desktop" after going through my palm and deleting all the duplicates. As soon as I get rid of all the duplicates on my Treo & in Outlook, I do a regular hotsync and whaddaya know...........I got some duplicates! PITA!
    Handspring Visor w/Sprint Mobile Card --> Sprint Treo 300 --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 755p
    I get the same thing with Notes..
    You need to make sure you have the latest version of the Chapura. Please see either the pa1mOne site or the Chapura for the latest version and its free.