1.    #1  
    I have a question about the stereo adapter. Will this allow you to listen to MP3s on your standard headset? Can you talk on the phone with the adapter in or do you have to take the adapter out?

Is there anything special about this adapter or will any adapter work? (assuming it fits all the way down.)

thanks.
    dm.
    The standard headset is only really good for the phone. You need an adapter to use regular headphones for music. Do a search on Seido as a starting point for how to approach this. I use the Seido adapter with my regular headphones so I can answer calls.

lots of fun, so enjoy. Also cosider a BIG SD card and card reader if you haven't already

john
    Will this allow you to listen to MP3s on your standard headset? - YES

Can you talk on the phone with the adapter in or do you have to take the adapter out? - YES, you can hear a phone call but must talk into the mic on the phone.

Is there anything special about this adapter or will any adapter work? - I have only tried the adapter from PalmOne for around $5. works fine but I heard a Radio Shack unti will work too.
    Quote Originally Posted by notme23
    I have a question about the stereo adapter. Will this allow you to listen to MP3s on your standard headset? Can you talk on the phone with the adapter in or do you have to take the adapter out?

Is there anything special about this adapter or will any adapter work? (assuming it fits all the way down.)

thanks.
    dm.
    The standard headset that comes with the Treo is already 2.5mm. So you don't need an adapter.
    Hi guys,

Daredevil, I reckon what he's asking is the adapter you can buy for a few dollars, that converts the female 2.5mm socket of the Treo, to a normal regular headset socket of 3.5mm, he's asking if that adapter is the thing that lets him use his normal headphones to listen to mp3s - which it is.
    His second question refers to the fact that if his 2.5mm>3.5mm adapter is plugged in, and his regular headphones plugged into said adapter, whether he can talk on the phone with those normal headphones - as Varangian said, yup he should be able to hear the call, yet there wont be a mic on his headphones, so he still gotta hold the treo near his head to talk.

(I know the question has already been answered, but I was just trying to help Daredevil understand, so that notme23 doesn't get confused by Daredevil's answer)

IF I AM WRONG - please correct me!! and Sorry!!

BUt I don't think I am!! (Only notme23 knows for sure! lol)

Ooooh and to Notme23.........
    the other thing you can do mate......is this.....

If the reason you are looking for an adapter, is because you want to have an earphone in both ears, and want better quality than the mono earphone/mic that comes with the treo.......(unless it's cos you must use your specific earphones cos you love them)..........then

Check out another option....

The company Seidio mentioned in another post here by Hubba23, make a product that is like your average handsfree earphone(s) with mic on the cable product.

However, unlike most, this product is stereo earphones (2 earphones - one for each ear, unless you're like a 3 eared alien in which case look elsewhere mate)

------
    EDIT :- Jeeeez......my last post I went on about one-eyed credit card eye goo bouncing.....and now talking about 3 eared aliens??? What is this sudden obsession with appendages!!! AAAGHHH!!!!! (Maybe I wish I had 5 arms, so that I could buy 5 treos and show off my one-handed treo use of the Thumboard and 5-way nav, to 5 different people at the same time hehehehe)
    ------

Anyways, sorry notme23......continuing on....
    So basically with this, it has a 2.5mm plug....so no need for an adapter

The earphones you can listen to your mp3s on, in both ears in stereo, and cos there's a mic on the cable, you can talk thru that, so meant for exactly what you want.

In-line also on the cable, wherre the mic is, is a volume dial, and a little switch. The little switch basically changes between listening to mp3s mode, to telephony mode.

Here's the link mate -

--------------------------------------

NOW, SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.....
    (well actually not completely)

This is another product I own, that is to get this 2-in-1 mp3/handsfree kit earphones, but for those who don't have Treo's - using your mp3 player, minidisic, walkman, cd player etc etc (anything with a 3.5mm normal earphone socket), and your mobile phone (they support many mobiles. Just be sure to choose the right product when ordering)

The product I talk of is something made by a really cool company I like, called Skullcandy. (BTW I have spoken on phone a couple of times to them, and they're really nice cool guys - they'd have to be to come up with such cool ideas!))

I DO NOT WORK FOR THEM BEFORE YOU ASK!

They have a few amazing products.....eg some headphones that have a rumble bass pack on the back, so that your whole head shakes with the bass.
    They make helmets for bikes, with the cans built in, and some nice mp3 players.

Loadsa cool stuff.
    But their main product is the link.

This allows you to link up an mp3 player, and a mobile phone to some headphones.......you listen to your mp3s from your Ipod or Zen or whatever.........and whenever your mobile phone rings (they make for most mobiles).........you can hear the ringing over your tunes!!! You then push answer on your cellphone........and you have a conversation with the other person, cos there is a mic on the cable of this product......in both ears (cos this product comes with stereo earphones)

The coolest thing of all is.......wait for it...........you can still listen to your tunes while talking to the other person, (they can't hear them, so they don't even know!).......if you like the person, use the volume dial on the product's cable to turn the tunes down and listen to their sweet voice............if it's your voice, pump up the tunes loud,.....carry on listening to him and just say "yes" or "ok sir" every few seconds!!!

The other cool thing is that they do another version of their product, which is just the link cable with mic/volume pad....and the 2 plugs, one to mp3 player, one to phone.......but this one has a socket rather than earphones - so you can use whatever earphones you want!!

Why do I go on about this.........well I bought this wicked product, to use with my samsung mobile, and my Creative Nomad Zen so that I didn't miss calls while listening to my tunes (i never feel vibrate modes!) - I was v happy with it.

NB :- This has nothing to do with Treos - just thought I'd mention it! Sorry. It uses 2 cables, one that goes to mp3 player, one that goes to phone, so its meant for 2 sound sources, not like the Treo. But just in case you have a mate or mrs or whatever who is jealous that you can hear mp3s and switch over to phone calls, without changing whats in your ear, then they could use this product (and this is better cos you still hear the tunes over the call if you want!)

ANYWAY - if you want the bass phones, go to the site, and Choose Crushers.

For the mp3/phone/mic earphones thingymebobs, go to the site, then click on LINK on the menu, then a smaller menu appears underneath - choose LINK CHOOSER.

The site is.....

EDIT - It seems that the headphones made by skullcandy for the basslovers has changed somewhat since I last saw. They're still called SkullCrushers.....but rather than having a rumble pack on the back that touches just above the back of your neck, this time the cans (the bits over your ears) vibrate, they got some groovy woofers in them. Also the headphones come with an in-line bass amp on the cable, that boosts up the bass - man I gotta get me some of these!! Big Up in da JUNGLE!!!!

------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY FOR ORIGINAL POST

So all in all -- notme23 I hope I helped you from being confused by Daredevils answer - sorry Daredevil mate, just trying to help (If I'm wrong permission to use my **** for your kicking practice!!) ....but notme23, I think Varangian and I understood what you meant. So notme23, buy the adapter, if you want those functions but with YOUR Headphones, if it doesn't have to be your Headphones, buy the Seidio 2in1 product as then you've got proper hands free like you want.

Hope the skullcandy link was at least useful to one person.

Peace, and respect and love to all,
    I.S.W.Y
    Last edited by iswy; 09/15/2004 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Skullcandy seem to have changes their "skullcrushers" bass cans
    "All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream"
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Wow!

That's all I can say.

Wow.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  7. zoz
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I agree... long post..
    Zoz..... is that good or bad??
    Santa....wow what???Wow long post? Wow about the products I mentioned??
    Just interested in your ambigous comments!!
    Have fun y'all
    "All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream"
    ok, you guys definitely sound like experts anyway, i dun get it. from what i've been reading, I should be able to hear the MP3 music played using P Tunes if i use the original earpiece (just mono) right? the funny thing is i can hear it through the speaker only. when i plug in the earpiece in the jack. the sound still comes out of the speaker and nothing through the earpiece. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    WH
    Quote Originally Posted by woonhong
    ok, you guys definitely sound like experts anyway, i dun get it. from what i've been reading, I should be able to hear the MP3 music played using P Tunes if i use the original earpiece (just mono) right? the funny thing is i can hear it through the speaker only. when i plug in the earpiece in the jack. the sound still comes out of the speaker and nothing through the earpiece. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    WH

Standard headphones are for phone mode only. ptunes will not play through them. ptunes will only play through sterio headphones connected to the proper adaptor. They will not work for phone in this mode.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Thanks jerzy diver,

found the answer after much search. sigh.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=43706

WH