1.    #1  
    Will the 650 or 670 have the EDGE technology for Cingular customners? ~Drew
    no
    Last edited by LouisW; 09/11/2004 at 09:19 PM. Reason: sorry. thought some punk should search first and see that no one knows.
    Yes
    Wow. That's a big statement when we truly don't know.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
  4.    #4  
    so it isn't definate?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew_Chicago
    Will the 650 or 670 have the EDGE technology for Cingular customners? ~Drew
    IMO the answer is No. There is absolutely no evidence to support that it will support EDGE or EV-DO or any other next generation network.
    The Muffin Man said it would, that's all I know
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    do you know the muffin man

so far we dont know much in terms of specs of the treo 650...le sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    do you know the muffin man
    Doesn't he live down on Drury Lane?
    I don't think that we've seen on any of the "leaked" powerpoint prezo, or other materials if the next Treo is going to support EDGE or not (unfortunately).
  10.    #10  
    Why would any company putting out a high end phone and especially one like thr treo not have EDGE or G# or any of the new technology that by the en of the year or this time next year by the norm in all phones?
    *cough*wifi*cough*

Palmone isn't really into the latest and greatest.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by zehubert
    I don't think that we've seen on any of the "leaked" powerpoint prezo, or other materials if the next Treo is going to support EDGE or not (unfortunately).
    Wasn't the leaked powerpoint for sprint? So it wouldn't mention anything about edge anyway.
    I was at an AT&T Wireless (Cingular) presentation on Monday and it was mentioned that they will offer an EDGE enabled Palm device by the end of the year. They did not give any more details than that, but it was promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbean
    I was at an AT&T Wireless (Cingular) presentation on Monday and it was mentioned that they will offer an EDGE enabled Palm device by the end of the year. They did not give any more details than that, but it was promising.
    I guess I'll start saving for a new Treo just in case, but I'm not holding my breath. 320x320 screen, faster processor, 1.3M camer are all nice feature but not worth the upgrade. EDGE or Wifi, suddenly it's worth upgrading. I still don't think 650 will have EDGE, though.
    Nevermind EDGE, I think they sould be working UMTS into the next product, though I think something this year would be too soon to expect from anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I think they sould be working UMTS into the next product, though I think something this year would be too soon to expect from anyone.
    agreed, sadly
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    im waiting for the ev-do treo generation. now THAT is worth the upgrade from the treo 600, considering the cost thatthe treo 650 will be. then again, we say this now. wait until the t650 gleams the sprint shelves - we may change our minds .
    Totally my OPINION, but I say, the CDMA version WILL have EVDO.
    Carl
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Since Palm has been touting a "Family" of Treos, why does everyone assume that the upcomming release will be for just one model ? If not all at once, I would almost expect a series of releases which will target different types of users.

Too early for 1xEvDo, but EDGE is nothing but GPRS with compression (No ?), so why not support it ?

The radio's that have been built in to all the Treos from day 1 have enver had all the options turned on or in use.
    EGPRS uses a new 8 point system to have data stream faster..at present the fastest capable handset is 236 kbps...

on GPRS GMSK modulation is used for data streaming, on EGPRS (on higher classes) 8-PSK is used