1.    #1  
    Is there an application available to syncrhonize with an Outlook client connecting to POP3 email accounts, rather than a Microsoft Exchange server? Several programs do this during serial/USB hotsync, so it's not clear why this wouldn't be possible over a mobile connection.

THANKS
    Michael
    I am not sure if this answer is the one you are looking for but I will answer it two ways to try to address the issue:

I believe that you can do USB synchronize to Outlook that is not connected to Exchange although I have not tried it. Essentially the PocketMirror conduits are synching with the current selected profile of Outlook (or the one you choose). I dont suppose it matters to the conduits that you are storing your Contacts, Schedule, Tasks and Notes locally and not synching them with Exchange.

However I think you may have meant something different which actually has nothing to do with Outlook at all. Can you pick up your POP3 email from the Treo wirelessly? The answer to this is yes. The fact that you are reading it on your PC using Outlook is immaterial. The only reason that might matter would be if you happened to use offline/HotSync email conduits such as Eudora Internet Suite. In short, use the Mail application on your Treo and use the POP3/SMTP settings from your Outlook setup. You may have to use your carriers SMTP server and special username/password to be able to send mail wirelessly. The SMTP servernames and username details are nicely detailed on the support sites of SnapperMail and palmOne.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Poryphyron.

Unfortunately, PocketMirror does not support an email conduit.

I am, as you suggest, able to get POP3 mail using the Treo client over the air. However, what I would ideally like is for my Treo inbox to look identical to my Outlook inbox. Spring provides this capability with Sprint BC if you have an Exchange server running, although to the best of my knowledge not if you simply use the Outlook client.

So I would like the syncrhonized inbox capability of Sprint BC without running a Microsoft mail server.

Appreciate you help.
    Install Eudora Internet Suite to get your POP3 mail account over the the Treo at HotSync. It has the compelling price of $0. It works well.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Michael,

I don't know if this is your situation, but I recently left my company and went from server-based Exchanged email to POP-base email. I wanted to do exactly what you are talking about -- keeping my Treo synched with Outlook instead of the Palm desktop.

I was finally succesful in accomplishiing this by: 1) configuring my Exchange server in Outlook connection as being offline; 2) disconnecting all network connections; 3) installing the lastest Palm synchronization softwareand 4) reconnecting my network and Treo and resynching. Now, everything is working as it was when I was on my form company's network.

Hope this info helps you.

Thanks,
    TL
    I have successfully sync'd using pocketmirror and a sprint treo 600 using the offline feature as well. As I recall, when hotsync invoked pocketmirror, it tried to find the excahnge server and then i just said Work Offline and it was fine.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by treolover
    Michael,

I don't know if this is your situation, but I recently left my company and went from server-based Exchanged email to POP-base email. I wanted to do exactly what you are talking about -- keeping my Treo synched with Outlook instead of the Palm desktop.

I was finally succesful in accomplishiing this by: 1) configuring my Exchange server in Outlook connection as being offline; 2) disconnecting all network connections; 3) installing the lastest Palm synchronization softwareand 4) reconnecting my network and Treo and resynching. Now, everything is working as it was when I was on my form company's network.

Hope this info helps you.

Thanks,
    TL
    Treolover,

Which Treo email program are you syncing to? I am a little confused, as from what I've read PocketMirror explicitly does not handle email.

But basically it seems that you are saying that when connected to a PC over USB you can sync Outlook to the Treo mail program, and that when not connected you can connect directly to a POP3 server for new emails?

Thanks,
    Michael
  8.    #8  
    Does anybody have any other ideas? THANKS.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Michael,

I use Outlook as the email client on my PC. Basically, I have it setup to download all my POP email and then use Business Connection to send it to my Treo. When my PC is offline, I use Business Connection client on the Treo to synchronize with my POP accounts (I setup Outlook so that email is not left on the server to avoid duplication). Where Pocket Mirror comes into play is with the calendar, contacts, tasks and memos. I have grown used to Outlook as my PC PIM and email client so this all works well for me. You are right about Pocket Mirrow not playing a role in email so I apologize for not addressing that before. They key to full Outlook integration for me is the combination of BusCon and Pocket Mirror. The bonus with BusCon is that it is all also available through the web when you are away from both your PC and Treo (like being overseas).

Hope that helps.

TL
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treolover
    Michael,

I use Outlook as the email client on my PC. Basically, I have it setup to download all my POP email and then use Business Connection to send it to my Treo. When my PC is offline, I use Business Connection client on the Treo to synchronize with my POP accounts (I setup Outlook so that email is not left on the server to avoid duplication). Where Pocket Mirror comes into play is with the calendar, contacts, tasks and memos. I have grown used to Outlook as my PC PIM and email client so this all works well for me. You are right about Pocket Mirrow not playing a role in email so I apologize for not addressing that before. They key to full Outlook integration for me is the combination of BusCon and Pocket Mirror. The bonus with BusCon is that it is all also available through the web when you are away from both your PC and Treo (like being overseas).

Hope that helps.

TL
    Treolover,

Thanks for your response. I was confused by Sprint BC asking for the Exchange server username, password, and domain. I assumed therefore that an Exchange server was required. I guess it wants those credentials in case it needs to access email and the Outlook client hasn't already logged in, but that if one is working offline, it can access the Outlook client rather than a (non-existent) Exchange server.

I'll try playing with offline settings tonight. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Michael