1.    #1  
    I purchased a Treo 300 very soon after initial release. I did not purchase an extended service plan from Sprint. Recently, the lid hinge cracked and now the lid is no longer attached to the phone (technically, it is hanging by the earpiece wires, but it is certainly not attached as designed). After several visits/calls to Sprint and PalmOne, it seems as if there is absolutely no repair service available for this handset. Sprint says I need to contact PalmOne for repair and PalmOne says they have an official agreement with Sprint to not service the Treo 300s even though they have the skill and necessary parts to fix the problem I described. I even had a PalmOne manager conferenced in with a manager from Sprint to try to solve this issue to no avail. I understand that I am out of warranty and I have been clear that I am willing to pay for the repair cost. I find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no way to get my handset repaired. Everyone at Sprint tells me within 5 minutes of conversation to by a new phone. Since most of their phones are under $100 (or even free), this wouldn’t be a big deal to most people. The Treos, however, are much closer to $500. Nobody seems to understand this. Ignoring the fact that I just want to repair what I’ve purchased, I would probably buy a new phone if the Treo 650s weren’t so close on the horizon. However, I cannot afford to wait and be without a phone until the new model is released. Has anyone been able to effectively deal with this circular support issue? Does anyone have any suggestions to affordably get me back on my feet?
    You have been with Sprint long enough to qualify for their $150 rebate again and they have a program (I think still) where they will give you an additional $25 to $75 as a trade in. I think if you find someone that could fix the T300 you would have a couple hundred into it anyway and a 2-3 year old phone.
    Been there, done that. I initially had the "battery won't hold a charge problem" and got the same runaround from Sprint and PalmOne. The Sprint rep suggested that I enroll in the Equipment Replacement Plan (ERP) and then put in a claim. Then I dropped the phone and the hing cracked like yours so I immediately enrolled cause I knew it would eventually break all the way. You can enroll in the ERP anytime (I had not been in it for the 16 months I had the 300 till then), there are only 2 stipulations ... 1 is you have to be able to receive a call when you enroll in the plan (verifies it's not already lost or broken) and you have a 20 day waiting period before you can submit a claim. Enrolled in the plan, received the call and a week later my lid broke completely off an it severed the wires. So I had to go around for another 13 days just using the headset (phone still works with headset even after the lid breaks off). After the 20 days was up I submitted a claim, paid my $35 deductable, and my phone is 'repaired' (well, replaced). Cheapest way out of your dilemma!
    Actually, they initially told me the battery was not serviceable, then I found a replacement battery on the web (for $9!) and opened the case and replaced that myself. I was flabbergasted that they won't service these ... it all comes down to the fact that the Sprint store SELLS PHONES ... they don't WANT to repair them!
    Hey, my replacement just arrived and it's a brand spanking new Treo300. Not bad for $40 ($5 for the ERP and $35 deductible).
    It is always worth a try to go to a sprint store for a replacement. Failing that, the hinge can be repaired with crazy glue. let it set for an hour or so, and snap it back in. Or buy a used one on ebay, half.com, or the buy and sell page on this site. I have purchased two over the past several months in the $100-125 range. I gave one to my wife, who broke it and got it exchanged for a 600!
    or if your really wanting a 300 and your willing to pay to have it fixed (but they want) for the price of repair you can pick up a nice one on eBay ($50-$75) to hold you over until you can upgrade to a 650. When you do get the $4 @ month plan.

http://search.ebay.com/treo-300_W0QQ...ectZ1QQfromZR8
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    You can get a Treo 300 shell here:

http://store.craytonelectronics.com/tr300resh.html
    it's repairable since it's very modular. See my response to the lid repair thread. You can get the parts on eBay cheap
    big00: same problem as everyone, battery won't hold a charge and the flip-top cracked. but when we tried to get on the ERP, they won't let us join--all I can get is an automated menu and they tell me I'm not eligible. how did you do it?
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    You are the man. I just broke the flip on my 300 and I don't qualify for the $150 rebate on the 650 until 11/28. This appears to be the quick fix. Have performed this surgery? It doesn't seem like it would be difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by 98GSR
    You can get a Treo 300 shell here:

http://store.craytonelectronics.com/tr300resh.html
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    It is truly a shame that this hinge WILL break on all Treo 300/270s; it's just a matter of time.

I'm on my second Treo. The first one broke its hinge when I dropped it. I paid almost $200 for a refurbished second one last year. The second one had it's hinge near the antenna crack for no apparent reason except use just over one week ago.

Well, I refuse to buy another one (until the Treo 650 is released anyway... changeable battery... YAY!) so I FIXED my cover. I considered the crazy glue route, but consider this chancy and I rely on my phone for business.

Here's what to do. Obtain a hatpin. A sewing needle might work, but a steel hatpin worked great. Clamp the hatpin securely in a needlenose pliers. Go to the stove with the hatpin and the Treo 270. Heat the hatpin over the flame until its orange hot. With the Treo cover closed, quickly insert the hatpin through the top of the hinge and into the cover. The hot hatpin goes into the plastic like cutting butter... be careful! When the hatpin cools, clip the excess that sticks out of the top with a wire cutter. That's it! The hinge, with its new "brace" has been working perfectly for over a week now.

Good luck,

Larry

PS Of course this voids any warranty, but do you care? ;-)

PPS Someone mentioned there are wires in one/both of the hinges? Was I lucky not to damage these? Maybe. Are there wires in the hinge near the antenna? Can anyone confirm this?

PPS I will post pictures at my web site soon.
    Last edited by lalex; 11/14/2004 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo
    All depends on where the hinge breaks - I've seen some nightmare breakages that this method simply would not work on but if it's working for you, excellent job.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lalex
    It is truly a shame that this hinge WILL break on all Treo 300/270s; it's just a matter of time.

I'm on my second Treo. The first one broke its hinge when I dropped it. I paid almost $200 for a refurbished second one last year. The second one had it's hinge near the antenna crack for no apparent reason except use just over one week ago.

Well, I refuse to buy another one (until the Treo 650 is released anyway... changeable battery... YAY!) so I FIXED my cover. I considered the crazy glue route, but consider this chancy and I rely on my phone for business.

Here's what to do. Obtain a hatpin. A sewing needle might work, but a steel hatpin worked great. Clamp the hatpin securely in a needlenose pliers. Go to the stove with the hatpin and the Treo 270. Heat the hatpin over the flame until its orange hot. With the Treo cover closed, quickly insert the hatpin through the top of the hinge and into the cover. The hot hatpin goes into the plastic like cutting butter... be careful! When the hatpin cools, clip the excess that sticks out of the top with a wire cutter. That's it! The hinge, with its new "brace" has been working perfectly for over a week now.

Good luck,

Larry

PS Of course this voids any warranty, but do you care? ;-)

PPS Someone mentioned there are wires in one/both of the hinges? Was I lucky not to damage these? Maybe. Are there wires in the hinge near the antenna? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks Larry. Great idea! What is your website URL?
    Quote Originally Posted by lalex

There are wires in the hinge farthest from the antenna, but not in the hinge nearest the antenna.

There are two places that the Treo 270/300 flip-cover commonly breaks. One (the place yours broke) is horizontally, just above the bulbous hinge, on the right side (nearest the antenna). Your hot needle fix is great for that one, perhaps reinforced by gorilla glue.

The other place the hinge commonly breaks is vertically, near that same corner. It breaks the thin horizontal strip of plastic (the strip of plastic just below the window, when the lid is open). When that one breaks, the flip-lid can come right off the Treo.

BTW, the reason the hinge almost always breaks at the corner near the antenna is that the spring mechanism (which stresses the plastic) is on that side.

My Treo broke in BOTH places.

First the horizontal strip went. I fixed it with gorilla glue and a thin, narrow strip of stainless steel sheet metal, cut to a width of a few mm, and a length aproximately equal to the width of the Treo, glued in place with gorilla glue.

Then the vertical strip went, the side of the lid nearest the antenna, where yours broke. Following your advice, I fixed that with a hot needle, supplemented with more gorilla glue.

For awhile after that, all was well: my Treo probably had the most rugged lid on the planet, and it looked kind of ugly, but it worked fine.

Then the speaker wire went. The first symptom was that it wouldn't ring anymore, it would only vibrate. Then the sound wouln't come on until the lid had been open for a few seconds... the person on the other end would hear me saying, "hello? hello?" but I couldn't hear them at first. Then it got so bad I couldn't use the phone without the earbud. To fix that, I dremelled away the gorilla glue and re-broke the horizontal strip where I'd done my first Treo repair, pried the inner plastic from the lid, opened up the main Treo body, unplugged the speaker wire, and removed the lid. Then I cut, spliced and soldered the speaker wire, so that a portion that hadn't been flexing before would run though the hinge (I used wirewrap wire for the part that runs up the side of the lid, since it never flexes). Then I reassembled it all.

Unfortunately, the keyboard is now going bad:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=100775
    I don't know how to fix this problem. Any ideas, anyone?

-Dave
    dave283 at burtonsys dot com but please no spam

P.S. - For full-sized photos of my hinge & speaker wire fixes, see:
    http://www.burtonsys.com/treofix.html
    (I've also attached reduced-size versions to this note)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ncdave; 11/29/2005 at 01:55 AM. Reason: add photos of Treo 300 fixes