1.    #1  
    You know, with the photos, and the specs and the email threads sent back and forth, it would almost appear that we are well informed... but we are not.

Look at the threads that have just poured out about the Treo 650/670/700 etc. Ace? Roudy? Is it 1xRTT or EV/DO? GPRS or Edge or something else? What are they going to do for a mail client? We know it will be able to do videos, but will it conform to the same video formats as their other phones, or will it work like the video cameras available today for the 600? How about streaming video, like the Samsung A700?

We really don't know much, other than what people have been speculating about since February. Bluetooth. Hirez.

What we don't know is about as much as we do. I felt far better informed after seeing the picture of the poster at the Sprint Conference. Now, things have gotten confused.

Do you suppose that this was intentional? Damage control from Handspring/PalmOne to help interfere with the early leak? I doubt it, but I can't wait until the product is unvailed so we can put all of these things to rest.
    I'm about 98% sure that it has the same (or slightly modified) Versa Mail that are in newer Palm's. I think I've seen it in a couple of different slides on here saying that it will have all Palm Standard Productivity Apps mentioning that specifically.
    There is no way it is going to be able to use next generation data networks. Same networks as the 600. You can speculate to the contrary, but it's just wishful thinking.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I agree with Kurt. It would be foolish to release a phone for next gen networks when they barely exist. I know that some if not all the providers are testing the next gen networks but it simply isn't widespread enough yet.
    Yeah. Besides, this way they can get you to upgrade >1 time.

TM
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I wish they would make these things so that you could upgrade the radio independently from the rest of the unit. I doubt they will ever do it though because it won't generate as much income as selling completely new devices.
    TxDot, other companies have released phones for these next gen networks. Perhaps they are foolish, but I feel like when you buy something top of the line, you should get top of the line. That said the Treo had to be in planning too far in advance for it to have it.

Yeah if only there was a slot on the device like the size of a gameboy cartridge. You would be able to swap out these cartridges as necessary to upgrade your radio. It's too bad well never such a thing.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I wish they would make these things so that you could upgrade the radio independently from the rest of the unit. I doubt they will ever do it though because it won't generate as much income as selling completely new devices.
    They actually have this. It is called getting a phone with Bluetooth, and then getting a Palm with Bluetooth.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I agree with Kurt. It would be foolish to release a phone for next gen networks when they barely exist. I know that some if not all the providers are testing the next gen networks but it simply isn't widespread enough yet.
    If you recall, the Treo 300 was released at the same time as they were rolling out 1xRTT, and the Treo 280 was rolled out BEFORE widespread GPRS availability. It is not beyond speculation that the Ace, I mean Roudy, I mean 650, I mean 670, I mean 700 may include some improved data access.
  10.    #10  
    Anyways, i rest my case. There is plenty of speculation to go around. They promised a "Family" of Treos this year, and it is getting towards the end of the year. Do you suppose that they are perhaps releasing an entire family of Treos in Q4, and not just the Ace? Do you think that maybe, some of these questions that we have are because there are multiple answers, for multiple models?
    I too am keen on the new Treo, whatever the specs and timing, so I did a little snooping on the investor section of the P1 site. As P1 is public, they do a lot of talking and pitching to 'the street'. The link below will bring you to an audio presentation they did on Wed past to analysts. I went through most but not all of it and got some interesting tidbits. While they said explicitly 'we don't talk about future products' they indicated clearly there would be a 'good, better, best' lineup of Treo's. In particular, listen around the 11 minute mark of the presentation.

http://ir.palmone.com/ireye/ir_site....item_id=880751

On the supposed absence of Wi-Fi I say if that is true its because Wi-Fi doesn't generate data revenue for the oh-so-important carriers that are buying the Treo's. Just MHO. Could be an engineering thing.

Bill
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    TxDot, other companies have released phones for these next gen networks. Perhaps they are foolish, but I feel like when you buy something top of the line, you should get top of the line.
    Which phone on which network? I'm guessing AT&T as they seem to have the most EDGE coverage.

I just went to the AT&T web site and took a look at their EDGE coverage and it is far more than I thought it was. According to the map I should have coverage where I live. I think I'll hit a AT&T store this week and see if they have a EDGE capable phone and compare it to my T600. I'll let you know what happens.