1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I've just received a replacement 600 after my 2 and a half month old 600 fell victim to the dreaded "Orange Dot" syndrome (should we call it "Treo Pox"?).

In comparing the two before sending back the old one, I notice that the screen on the new one has a slight but definite sepia tone to it. Everything is just slightly browner. I've checked the display settings, and matched brightness and contrast to my last original Treo 600, but there's no doubt about it. The whites aren't as "pure white" as the last one, and the colors aren't as rich. What could be going on? Is it worth reporting to them? Could the Treos that come from AT&T (where I got the original) be made differently than the ones from PalmOne (Where the replacement came from)?

Frustrating!
    I've had a similiar experience. I got a new Treo from VZW because my first one developed a large white spot on the screeen after two weeks. The replacement had a definite blue tint to the screen compared to the old one. Since it was an advance swap, I got to compare the two face to face. Also, the new one shows a slight flicker on the screen when there is a solid colored background and you look at a very slight angle. I assume different production runs (maybe different screen suppliers?) account for the difference. It reflects poor quality control, but I am willing to live with it since I don't even notice the tint anymore and the rest of the Treo seems to be working well (so far). Besides, for some reason the colors in the pictures this one takes are more accurate than in my first Treo. (Of course, the quality of the photos are still generally poor.)
    I also had an advance replacement. The color is definitely different. I am still deciding which is better. The original colors were more vibrant/bright. However, the replacement colors are more "true".

For example, my telephone wallpaper is a picture of my wife. The display on the replacement's screen shows her in living color, unlike the first.

My preference is leaning toward the replacement.
    I got a replacement yesterday. MY original was from AT&T Wireless. The new one is missing the AT&T startup logo and also does not contain the "Office Online" application that the original had. I looked at the screens side by side and didn't notice any difference, but only 1/3 of my old screen was still working. I was concerned about the replacement's having what appears to be an older serial number, so I looked at it very carefully. I haven't found anthing wrong with it so far.

BTW, since the replacement boots up with the Palm logo instead of AT&T, and doesn't contain "office Online", is it perhaps unlocked?
  5.    #5  
    That brings up an interesting point... is it possible that PalmOne sent me an unlocked phone as a replacement? How do you know if you're phone is unlocked or not?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leefarber
    That brings up an interesting point... is it possible that PalmOne sent me an unlocked phone as a replacement? How do you know if you're phone is unlocked or not?
    Put a different network sim card in it?
    Last edited by Hicks; 09/12/2004 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Clarity
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  7.    #7  
    Is there a way to tell by looking at the info screen? I don'thave another SIM card available, but I am curious as to whether or not this replacement phone is unlocked.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Not to my knowledge leefarber....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Obviously can't speak for everyone. Just traded SIMs with a T6 user on T-Mobile. My refurbished T6 is unlocked. His original T6 from T-Mobile is unlocked as well.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Same deal, I just received a replacement Treo from Sprint and the screen has a rather dim blueish tint to it no matter what settings I use. The silent switch is also a mothereffer to move back and forth... I'm sending it back.
    I just got my advance replacement Treo600 today. The lighting on the replacement phone is slightly yellowish vs. my origional phone which has a very true white color to it. The best way to describe this is the way a light bulb (yellowish light) looks compared to a florescent tube (abnoxiously white light.) As a result the colors seem slightly washed out.
    I compared mine, my wifes, and the replacement. Mine and my wife's are identical and the replacement is slightly yellowish/washed out.
    I like the old one better I guess I'll be asking PalmOne to replace the replacement.
    Our company has forty seven Treo600’s, as IT manager I have handled each and every unit. The screen coloring is all over the place. Some are really bright and almost faded and others are really dark.

The Treo600 is a great phone that has been poorly built. The manufacturing team consists of a group of dyslectic one armed short sighted workers having a very very had hair day. But that just my opinion.
    Welcome to Palmone, tomorrows bugs today!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I also had an advance replacement. The color is definitely different. I am still deciding which is better. The original colors were more vibrant/bright. However, the replacement colors are more "true".
    Mmmmmm “Advanced Replacement” now there is an idea, no such thing is OZ. We have to ring the Palmone Australia helpdesk which is actually answered in Singapore. Tell them what our problem is, wait up to twenty four hours for them to send us instructions for sending the phone away. They advise me that the phone could take ten working days from receipt of our original phone.

To date I have already sent seven of our forty seven units away so I know the procedure but no, I have to wait for the email even though they give me the SRO number when I log the job over the phone.

We have to send the phone to a company in Sydney (not palmone but some third party), when this company process the receipt of the phone is when the ten day count starts. If the company has replacement phones on hand then they dispatch the replacement phone with in a couple of days. (This has happened two out of seven phones). If they don’t the replacement phone has to come form Singapore if Singapore has any.

The quickest actual turn around has been one week the worst over three weeks but that was because either Australia Post, the third party company or Palmone managed to lose a phone.

When I asked what to we get if it takes longer the ten working days, the answer was “Nothing” the then working days is only a guide line. It’s just like being in the army “Hurry up and wait”.

Well that’s my gripe for the Day. Hope yours is better.
    Tony
    Welcome to Palmone, tomorrows bugs today!!!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wal
    Mmmmmm “Advanced Replacement” now there is an idea, no such thing is OZ. We have to ring the Palmone Australia helpdesk which is actually answered in Singapore. Tell them what our problem is, wait up to twenty four hours for them to send us instructions for sending the phone away. They advise me that the phone could take ten working days from receipt of our original phone.
    10 Days without a phone... It's a world gone mad!! Mad I tell ya!!

Actually I'm surprised they would let business customers go that long w/o a replacement.

I called Lock/Line yesterday to gripe about my blueish screen and malfunctioning button. They said they would send out another one. I'm going to wait to send the 1st replacement back so I can compare all three. That's the only thing I like about Lock/Line is that you have 30 days to send back the defective unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    I've had a similiar experience. I got a new Treo from VZW because my first one developed a large white spot on the screeen after two weeks. The replacement had a definite blue tint to the screen compared to the old one. Since it was an advance swap, I got to compare the two face to face. Also, the new one shows a slight flicker on the screen when there is a solid colored background and you look at a very slight angle. I assume different production runs (maybe different screen suppliers?) account for the difference. It reflects poor quality control, but I am willing to live with it since I don't even notice the tint anymore and the rest of the Treo seems to be working well (so far). Besides, for some reason the colors in the pictures this one takes are more accurate than in my first Treo. (Of course, the quality of the photos are still generally poor.)

Just got my replacement an hour ago. I have exactly the same 'problem' with my screen.

As soon as I tilt the screen a little bit such that the bottom of the Treo is moving towards me, the screen turns blue. My old Treo was not that bad.

Also, if I start tilting the screen such that the top of the Treo is moving towards me, I can start to seen screen flicker. My old Treo wasn't doing that.

Palm, or rather Handsprings' components suck. I wonder who they contracted to produce these substandard parts. Hopefully the Treo 650 will be better.

Still debating if I should call PalmOne to complain about the new replacement. You guys in the US are lucky, you can get a unit sent to you before you return the old unit. I reside in Malaysia and as with the rest of the AsiaPacific region, we have to send the defective unit back to PalmOne first in Singapore via DHL before they send a replacement.

I got my replacement unit in exactly 8 days. I can't imagine not having my Treo for another 8 days if I want to return this new unit.

Oh, and by the way, this is my 5th replacement unit (or something like that) - I have lost count.....

Another frustrated customer......
    Just got my first replacement yesterday and the screen is definitely not as good as my original (blue tint and not as bright). Unfortunately the IR port quit working on my original and the original developed the semi-circle extending out from the left hand side of the screen, so I'll stick with the replacement, keep it in pristine condition, then sell it on ebay when the 650 is available.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    add me to the blue tint list on a replacement received yesterday ...