1.    #1  
    Electric Pocket has just released WideFind which enables your regular Find command on Palm OS to search your Treo and also 5 search sources on the Internet. It does one or the other. This is a cool piece of software and really useful.

It searches
    Google
    IMDb
    Froogle
    eBay
    Google Local
    Google definitions.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=73287

My new favorite app.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    Electric Pocket has just released WideFind which enables your regular Find command on Palm OS to search your Treo and also 5 search sources on the Internet. It does one or the other. This is a cool piece of software and really useful.

It searches
    Google
    IMDb
    Froogle
    eBay
    Google Local
    Google definitions.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=73287

My new favorite app.

P
    Sorry, rookie question coming which I couldn't find an answer to in these forums, but what is the "regular find command" on the Treo600?
    Option-Shift (it's the magnifying glass symbol, originally one of the four soft buttons on Palm OS's graffiti section.) It searches for strings from any of the Palm OS standard databases.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Cool app. When it goes on discounted sale I may buy it. I wonder why nobody thought of it until now?
  5.    #5  
    I suggested it a long time ago but no one made it. It was an idea waiting to happen. I used to use Mac OS 9 Sherlock so I cannot claim any first rights on the concept.
    Funny thing is, it was available for free over a week ago. Back then it was called "Finder" (www.electricpocket.com/products/finder.html). But that page's been taken down now.

I guess they decided to rename it to WideFind and also slap a 9.99 pricetage on it.

But to be fair, Finder was listed as being v0.1, so perhaps they added a bunch of stuff to justify the pricetag.
    It appears that the results of some searches are not well formatted for the Treo screen.
    Laissez Faire
    I just downloaded this and had high hopes... but to be honest - it fell short. My input:

a) if this was more like Dir Assist where the search/results were handled by the find util - that would be worth the dollars. All it really does is "launch" a web browser on a URL.

The problem is blazer is blazing slow to start up. So having to wait for the startup doesn't help me... Once I am in blazer, I have the search pages already stored locally (saved) so this is only a minor enhancement - but the slowness drives me personally up a wall...

b) since it is only launching url's... why did they just hard code 5 or 6 - why not give us a screen where we can add any "search" url that it plugs in the criteria to (e.g. Powertoys for IE) ... that way we could add Yahoo, etc... (or any other one we wanted)...

I just can't see paying $10 for a URL launcher that still uses blazer...

I would easily pay $10 (or even a little more) if it was more like DA - doing the presentation on it's own without Blazer...

Worth a trial to check out - but for me, this wasn't a match. It might be for others.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Anuone know if WideFind is compatible with FindHack?