Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to ask the group whether they know of applications that replicate the whole outlook functionality (email, calendar, to do lists) and connect to MS Exchange wirelessly from the Treo 600. I'm talking about something other than GoodLink, since I don't want to depend on my company's IT staff to install it in the server (they won't). What I have in mind is in essence an Outlook client that could be installed in the T600 without any modification at the MS Exchange server.

So far I have not found anything that offers all I want. Beyond Contacts looks great but I think does not connect to Exchange wirelessly - you need to HotSync instead. Agendus can receive e-mail wirelessly but I don't think it can update the calendar and the to dos wirelessly. Also, I think it cannot tell when an incoming e-mail is actually a meeting invitation to allow you to accept it on the fly (you can do this in Blackberry, or with GoodLink).

I understand mNotes offers this functionality for Lotus Notes (correct me here if I'm wrong). Then, why isn't there anything equivalent for Exchange?

Thanks
    Exchange = Microsoft

PalmOS <> Microsoft

Microsoft has Mobile Web Access for PDA's, but it's not very good (read "sucks"). I've been searching for something as well, but most of the options that seem close to ideal are PocketPC based.

EDIT: Too fast typer

EDIT2: I thought I'd also add, unless there is already a hole in your firewall for the IMAP port on the Exchange server, I don't think you'll find ANY software that won't require some changes to your IT infrastructure, either on the firewall or the Exchange server.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Check out http://www.leederbyshire.com/ which does require server side software but the price is very reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdasilva
    I understand mNotes offers this functionality for Lotus Notes (correct me here if I'm wrong). Then, why isn't there anything equivalent for Exchange?

Thanks
    Ok I will correct you
    mNotes uses a "CommonTime Thin Client Connector" when functioning in wireless mode. Your sys admins have to install the Connector software on a system that then communicates with Lotus Notes and is exposed to the Internet via a hole in the company's firewall. mNotes on the Treo communicates with the Connector server, not with Lotus Notes.

This is the exact same model as Goodlink or Blackberry.

mNotes does have 2 operating modes.

mNotes in "Desktop Replication" mode functions like Beyond Contacts.
    mNotes in "Wireless Replication" mode functions like GoodLink.

As mentioned elsewhere the easiest option to get your admins to accept is the OMA (Outlook Mobile Access) interface. Think of OMA as a stripped down OWA (Outlook Web Access). OMA ships with Exchange and you would use Blazer to access it.
    I'm talking about something other than GoodLink, since I don't want to depend on my company's IT staff to install it in the server (they won't).
    Also Good's minimum license is 5 users at $300/yr/user and a stand alone server. It can be installed on the Exchange server, but Good does not recommend it (I cannot remember if they actually will support that installation).

Anyway, it is too bad Good is out of the question for you, but it is a fair committment in $$$ and one more server to support for your IT staff.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you all for your comments. I have no doubt that GoodLink is the best solution, and $300/user/year is nothing compared to the benefits you get. Maybe I will bring up the issue with the IT folks once again in the future, hopefully with success.

In the meantime, I am configuring a rule in my Exchange mailbox to redirect my messages to my personal e-mail account, which I can access from my Treo. Not elegant but works.
    Thank you all for your comments. I have no doubt that GoodLink is the best solution, and $300/user/year is nothing compared to the benefits you get. Maybe I will bring up the issue with the IT folks once again in the future, hopefully with success.

In the meantime, I am configuring a rule in my Exchange mailbox to redirect my messages to my personal e-mail account, which I can access from my Treo. Not elegant but works.
    Several people have tried soemthing like this but the IM department might have a hemmorage if they found out you were forwarding to an unprotected e-mail account.
  8.    #8  
    Well, I hope they don't find out. I need to access my e-mail from the road and something's gotta give (no goodlink + no VPN + no OMA + no redirection = give me a break)
    Why not try the desktop redirectors from either Visto.com or Infowave.com. I have used both, without I.T. intervention. Visto can do Calendar and Contacts (as well as push email) while Infowave is only push email.

There is also a misconception that your PC needs to be always on and connected. This is not the case. Visto allows for up to 5 "delegates". You select any PC that is connected to your Network when your's is not. That could be an admin's or some PC that is on. This PC does not see your email or require any software, Visto somehow uses it's connection only. In fact, it can act like a min-workgroup server for multiple users.

Rogers Wireless in Canada offers this software for free when signed up with a data plan.

PalmLover
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfaltman
    Several people have tried soemthing like this but the IM department might have a hemmorage if they found out you were forwarding to an unprotected e-mail account.
    I am trying to forward automatically my Outlook e-mail from work to my home AOL account, but it is not happening. Any ideas on why?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Killarney
    I am trying to forward automatically my Outlook e-mail from work to my home AOL account, but it is not happening. Any ideas on why?
    You system admin has relaying blocked at the Exchange server.
    I wanted to ask the group whether they know of applications that replicate the whole outlook functionality (email, calendar, to do lists) and connect to MS Exchange wirelessly from the Treo 600. I'm talking about something other than GoodLink, since I don't want to depend on my company's IT staff to install it in the server (they won't). What I have in mind is in essence an Outlook client that could be installed in the T600 without any modification at the MS Exchange server.

So far I have not found anything that offers all I want. Beyond Contacts looks great but I think does not connect to Exchange wirelessly - you need to HotSync instead. Agendus can receive e-mail wirelessly but I don't think it can update the calendar and the to dos wirelessly. Also, I think it cannot tell when an incoming e-mail is actually a meeting invitation to allow you to accept it on the fly (you can do this in Blackberry, or with GoodLink).

Thanks
    Hi, I had the same trouble - and our exchange is behind a firewall. If your company uses Web Outlook 2000 or better, you can use NexChange Corporate Lite by www.nextworks.com. The beta currently includes email sync.

There are a couple of threads around here and the director of the company is ptretty psycho about providing product support

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Hehe, thanks for the mention swingstyles...we are very close to having a release version of NexChange Corp Pro which includes email functionality.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Does NexChange only work over wireless, or will it also work in the cradle?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I have the same problems as luisdasilva. So here's what I had to do: I got Web Pro, which allows me to access Outlook Web Access (OWA) on my treo. I can do almost everthing that I would do on OWA from a computer..i.e. accept meeting invitations and even create invites and look up people's availability in the calendar like I do on OWA. The only problem is that if I accept an appointment on OWA, it clearly doesn't update the calendar on my Treo... would need a hotsync to do that. So my work around is that if there's an appointment that I want posted on my treo because I'm out of the office and need a consolidated calendar with alarms that will ring, I use versamail 2.7, which I had bought, and retrieve the emailled calendar appointment. It will let you accept an appointment and load it into your treo calendar. It actually works pretty well that way. I'm not sure what carrier your on, but I'm on T-mobile, which has a service that allows versamail to get my corporate email by way of T-mobile first grabbing my e-mail. If you use versamail and didn't want to retrieve all of those e-mails because you only wanted a specific meeting request, you could also use the filter option to filter for the email from the person sending the request.

Hope this helps.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    santa, it is just wireless...if speed of the first sync is an issue keep in mind that you can use a bluetooth network which is way faster then gsm or cdma. Thats what I do.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdionne
    santa, it is just wireless...if speed of the first sync is an issue keep in mind that you can use a bluetooth network which is way faster then gsm or cdma. Thats what I do.
    Thanks for the quick response. Sadly it's not just a first sync issue for me because:

1) I've got a 600, so no bluetooth, and

2) My company pays for my cell phone, and won't pay for unlimited data, so I've got to use my data carefully. I'm looking for a solution where the primary sync would be through a cradle based sync, and I'd just occationally use wireless when I'm out and about and waiting for something important.

Sadly, I'm probably not the norm, so I may not get what I want.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Hey luisdasilva, you're on Cingular, right?
    Have you checked out Cingular's XPressMail?
    While NexChange sounds like the best solution (when it has email support) it will require that outlook web access be available from outside your company's firewall to connect from what I understand. Dionne can confirm. If you have this, consider NexChange in the long run

In my case OWA (Outlook web access) is not available outside or firewall, you have to VPN in.

Cingular's XPressMail is PC desktop client that creates a secure tunnel to the XpressMail server oustide the firewall on Cingular's network. The Cingular network acts as an intermediary to connect you up with your desktops's client which in turn is logged in to Exchange.
    It's secure (encrypted,) your email is not stored offline, the only security issue is that of how easy our login/password is to guess on the XPress Mail web site.

The end results is "push" mail to your treo including calendar. I find the calendar part nice for getting updates throughout the day.
    The downside is that it's VERY BASIC, but it works! You get real-time calendar and email, that's it. You also don't get calendar alarms unfortunately. You can also view some email attachments in the Treo app without any 3rd party support. Also it unfortunately adds "Cingular wireless product" as a signature to the bottom of all of your email. I just insert a bunch of linefeeds at the end to make go way down the email.

If you're on Cingular there's no cost to register, download, and try/use XPress Mail Personal Edition. I suggest giving it a test drive, it's really easy to simply delete from your Treo if you don't like it.

Go to: http://www.cingular.com/business/xpress_mail_personal
    Click on "registration" on the right side bar. Go ahead and "register" and ignore the part where it says you should call Cingular first to make sure you're set up. This just means they want to make sure they've sold you a data plan, the XPress mail registration doesn't add anything to your bill/account.
    Once you've registered, make sure you go back to:
    https://xpressmail.cingular.com/subscriber/login.stp
    And log in to complete set-up including download the apps and PDF manuals.

The major caveat here is:
    You must have a desktop PC running 24/7 with this desktop app running in order to use this. I use WindowsXP and use the logout-switch user to keep the app running but log out of my machine when I leave for the evening/weekends, but it's always running with this app. The upside of this is that it requires 0 IT envolvement. Here IT has pretty much refused any mobile solutions, including supporting movian for me, so this is my only option.
    If IT is willing to work with you, there is XPress Mail "Network Edition" which is the identical solution, but instead of a desktop redirector IT will install it on a server for you. But it cost your company nothing.

I use both Beyond Contacts as well as XPress mail. BC gets me calendar alarms and full outlook support, and I hotsync it up regularly (I wich BC did wireless sync, that would be perfect.) But XPress mail keeps me updated with email and calendar changes away from the desk.

XPress isn't pefect, but it does the job well enough.

Finally:
    I use this on a Treo 650, it works pretty well. When I used it on the Treo 600 I couldn't get the audible email alert to work, only vibrate, but it works ok on the 650. Must be a bug.
    Also the "PUSH" is a little screwy. It's not always immediate but the push works within 1-2 min of getting the email, but if very mobile and your treo loses it's GPRS connection, it won't re-connect. So I suggest using both "PUSH" as well as "Smart power sync" in conjunction. The 15 min sync will make sure the treo stays connected up with the server if it loses connection (by forcing a GPRS re-login) where as push alone won't force a GPRS re-connect on it's own.

If you have questions give me a shout.

Also check out:
    http://www.cingular.com/sbusiness/messaging for the list of Email solutions Cingular mentions.
    Keep an eye on NexChange if you have OWA access.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/05/2005 at 07:24 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Just one note, TaylorH - Cingular's XpressMail is based on the SEVEN email product, and I think they have a mode similar to that one post above that talked about Visto having the ability to be able to support up to 5 'delegates'.
    I'd check out www.seven.com if I were you, luis, to learn more. Also, those Cingular URLs that taylorh showed might also have good data. if you can get SOMEone in your organization to dedicate a PC to this mail function, you should be home free.
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Thanks for the quick response. Sadly it's not just a first sync issue for me because:

1) I've got a 600, so no bluetooth, and

2) My company pays for my cell phone, and won't pay for unlimited data, so I've got to use my data carefully. I'm looking for a solution where the primary sync would be through a cradle based sync, and I'd just occationally use wireless when I'm out and about and waiting for something important.

Sadly, I'm probably not the norm, so I may not get what I want.
    Hi Santa,

There are some products, such as softclickPPP that allows the T600 to your use PC's network connection. You could use the product to do your inital synch. After that, you'll only use bandwidth when synching new data (and a little when Nextchange checks is a synch is required)

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast