Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How big is the XPressMail app on the Treo?
    (funny how all the XPressMail pages on Cingular's site
    still reference the Treo 270 :-)
    XpressMail on the treo is about 900KB. The data (email and calendar data) will add another 500KB or so. So it's roughly 1400KB with app and data combined. That's not bad really.
    You could run it from the card if you wanted to only run and check mail manually. You'll have to put it in RAM to get it to check mail on schedules or push.

By way of comparison, SnapperMail is 2-2.5 MB with data, Beyond Contacts is 2.5MB with data.

And as a previous post mentioned, this is a product by Seven. Cingular XPress mail and Sprint business connect mail are both the identical solution by Seven. I think you have to pay extra for Sprint's though.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Thanks. That's definately better than Goodlink's 8+ MB.... :-)
    From the description on the Cingular website, it appears
    that it can also be used with pop3/Imap servers - if it can
    do that at the same time it works with the Exchange account,
    then that's one more app it can replace.
    Yes, it can do POP & IMAP in addition to exchange, so it can be a one-stop solution for mail. It can basically be configured to handle one account of each. However, I find Snappermail to be a much more feature-rich POP and IMAP mail program, one of those reasons that Snapper can render HTML email better than XPress. In other words it works, but it's not the best. Worth a try though.
    Nevertheless, it will work.
    I personally use XPress mail just for work mail on the exchange server. I use Snapper for my Yahoo POP and any IMAP mail. I've tried it through XPress Mail, but I prefer Snapper Mail.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez
    There are some products, such as softclickPPP that allows the T600 to your use PC's network connection. You could use the product to do your inital synch. After that, you'll only use bandwidth when synching new data (and a little when Nextchange checks is a synch is required)
    -S
    Thanks! It makes the solution more expensive, but might it's worth a try. I'll test out the NextChange/SoftickPPP when the mail client is available.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Probably you can look at JP Mobile.

Last Month, i have attended the BrainShare 2005 Road Show, they currently offer two products SureWave Mobile Office and SureWave Mobile Connect
    Office product is more of a enterprise solution and connect is for any individual can use it.
    I think they are offering a free 30 day trial
    www.jpmobile.com
    surewave.com
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nadella
    Probably you can look at JP Mobile.

Last Month, i have attended the BrainShare 2005 Road Show, they currently offer two products SureWave Mobile Office and SureWave Mobile Connect
    Office product is more of a enterprise solution and connect is for any individual can use it.
    I think they are offering a free 30 day trial
    www.jpmobile.com
    surewave.com
    I've been curious about this but have been unable to get any feedback from someone on this board. I think everyone's scared away by the $13/mo fee to use Mobile Connect.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    XPressMail is really nice. If I could run a few other apps besides goodlink, I wouldn't really switch, but even with powerrun and moving some apps to a custom Rom, I still have memory problems due to Goodlink's size, and even though the company I work for licensed Goodlink, I just deleted it from my palm (along with Chatter), and I'm just using XPressMail now.
    (I read that it works via sms to notifiy the Treo of new email, does that mean
    extra cost for those sms messages...?)
    Does anyone know how much the network edition of XPressMail costs?
    With XPress mail you get a web site login to your inbox and account settings. So you can check your mail from a web browser in addition to your XPress mail client on your Treo. They also have clients that run in JAVA on any cell phone and Win CE by the way. (I say this for the benefit of those who haven't used it.)
    From that website login there are SMS settings, as you know. You can have it send you an SMS for EVERY new mail you have (that would be crazy) or for just high priority mail, or calendar events. I use it only for new or changed calendar events today only. That way I get an SMS if someone changed an appointment.
    Another useful one is an SMS if the message is flagged high priority.

Yes, it's an additional charge. You will be charged for each and every SMS text message you receive under the normal text messaging pricing. If you use this I highly suggest you buy the $5 or $10 text message package from Cingular. You'll save a whole lot of money in the long run.

Network edition used to be listed as being $40 a month, same as Personal Edition. I've long assumed those $40 prices were for the unlimited PDA data package, Xpress mail is just a free thing that you can use with it since you don't actually pay for Xpress. THey have since changed data plan pricing so they don't list those prices on the Xpress mail pages anymore (at least I can't find them anymore.) The prices they listed were a bit misleading in that regard, but what it's trying to tell you is that if you called to get XPress mail, they'd sign you up for the unlimited PDA $40 data pacakge, and then simply tell you to register and use Xpress Mail. PDA data is now $45 I think? But you can also use XPress with $25 Media Net (but don't tell them you're going to, media net is not priced with intent to use XPress Mail.)

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the Network edition does not cost anything extra either. All you're really doing is having IT install the re-director on the server instead of on your desktop PC, that's it. You can call up Cingular's business solutions and ask them if network edition specifically cost anything different than personal edition to be sure, but I'm fairly confident that it won't.

This is an educated guess, I haven't actually used Network Edition.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/09/2005 at 03:11 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    wow. great info! thanks.
    I just checked online, and apparently, the sms is only used for
    "alerts" - mine were all set to off by default, yet I still get my email
    pretty quickly without a scheduled synch.
    I believe that as long as on the Treo you have this setting:
    preferences=>schedule=>push messages to my device.
    then you don't need the sms unless you really do just want an "alert"
    for something, but you don't need them just for the push email itself.
    Right, I should have mentioned that they are optional alerts.
    The push notification works pretty well. If you use push, I suggest you also enable smart power sync as well. If you're moving about and your GPRS network connection drops, push will not re-establish your network connection and you'll stop getting mail. If you have scheduled sync enabled also, it will force it to re-connect to the network and get new mail every 15 min... once re-estblished it'll get push again. So enable smart power sync as a backup in case the push connection dies.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12