Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, at least a few of us seem to have decided not to upgrade, based on what's rumored about the 650.

Now let's ask the question another way around. Price/incentives aside, what features would make you upgrade?

Here's my list.

1. Hi-res (at least 320x320 and 16-bit?).

2. BT (headset, syncing, AND audio -- is BT audio a reality yet?).

3. Wi-fi (no, folks, wi-fi is here to stay for awhile. It complements well with EDGE/3G in terms of coverage, especially inside office buildings. There's an industry consortium working on cell/wifi handoff/roaming).

4. Mega-pixel camera (I don't know if 2meg on a pin-hole lens even make sense).

5. Video recording.

6. Voice command.

7. Mini-HD (file server smartphone, baby!).

[ DELETED. Both repliers denounced it. Heck, I've rarely turned on the TV since the media fired Bill Mahr and the other guys. ] 8. TV (yes, it's already in cellphones).

[ DELETED. I don't really care about it much. ] 9. Radio.

[ 10. Video phone (ok, this is 3g -- the technology may be here, but the network ain't).]

8. Push To Talk.

9. Built-in data security.

10. Push email.

11. Multitasking. (voice command, voice dialing, push email, and various cool/useful background services all depend on this.)
    ---------------------------------------

I was waiting for a train the other day, and spotted this guy hauling a huge suitcase and constantly playing with his watch. He seemed to talking to it, watching it, punching it, so on and so forth. Curiosity got the better of me and I asked him what was it that he was doing.

"Oh, it's my lastest invention. It's a watch, but also a cellphone, fax, computer, camera, camcorder, MP3 player, TV, video phone, pedometer, thermometer, altometer, radiometer, weather station, GPS, satellite phone, home automation controller, remote, garage opener."

"And it tells time, too." he added.

"Holy cow! I want this! I'll pay you $2000 for this!"

"Uh, I dunno. This is a prototype, and the only one..."

So the haggling went on for awhile and I decided to top my credit limit. At $12000, he reluctantly agreed.

With the super-duper gadget on my wrist, I felt like a million bucks!

"Wait!" he called behind me. "You forgot the suitcase. It's the battery"
    Last edited by continuum; 09/09/2004 at 04:11 AM.
    There's a lot more that could be in this list which would make me go Wow I must have this but your list is a good start.

Direct support for wireless BT keyboards. I can carry a Treo during the day and be doing my email but then when I get back to my hotel in the evening, I crank up the keyboard and get some fast work done on email and docs using a full sized keyboard. That's a winner for me - no back pain from carrying pounds of laptop thru airport lounges.

Another feature would be: a simple link via BT to make my RAM and expansion card visible to nearby paired PCs as removable hard drives. No more need to carry USB expansion card readers.

Radio - I already have this via pTunes. An FM radio is nice but somewhat gimmicky on a high-end phone. I like listening to Shoutcast stations.

TV - could not care less about this. I don't have cable anyhow. TV can be great but most of it is such a waste of time and so mortgaged to advertisers that Video playback is way more preferable.

Remote control software for my PC or home control system - I know parts of this are available via VNC and other software.

Push to talk (Nextel) type service like Sprints Ready To Go service would be a killer app for some workgroup applications and families. Again available today in Orange UK on T600.

Ringtones that use vibrate and keyboard lights as an instrument. e.g. the bass beat of a tune plays in vibrate pulses or the lights of the keboard pulse up and down in pattern.

And just because I am a corporate drone, much better data security systems on Palm OS. The current security system is feeble. The OS needs to have an option to store all program databases in encrypted form. This is available for the Tungsten T|3 and some apps like GoodLink do it today unilaterally. It needs to be a core function of Palm OS. These gadgets do get stolen and lost.
  3.    #3  
    PTT is a definite must! Why don't we have it here in the US? US is already third-world in wireless. Before you know it, the African continent is gonna be covered in 3G before we get it...

Data security is a must, AND built-in remote locking/disabling.

Ringtone vibrates with lights -- did you get the idea from Moto E398? A COOL phone!

As to BT linking, I used my SE T610 to browse my PC and vice versa. So it's part of BT spec.

Just read that people are working on Superbroadband short-range wireless technology, we're talking about WIRELESS VIDEO! But, that's getting a little off topic I guess, because it's not here yet.
    1. Hi-res - 320x320 would be good.

2. BT - Bluetooth with proximity detection and Ehanced Data Rate for High fidelity transfers. This is the one feature that would sway me (well, this and the hi-res screen).

3. Wi-fi - I am fine with T-Mobile's data plan.

4. Mega-pixel camera - 1.3 is fine with me.

5. Video recording - 30 seconds would be cool but not a huge factor.

6. Voice command - Not comfortable talking to electronics without someone listening (unless it involves profanity??)

7. Mini-HD - I'm happy with the no moving parts feature of the SD card.

8. TV - ehh.

9. Radio - rarely listen to it.

10. Video phone - half the time I don't want people to see me while talking on the phone (I might be in my underwear or my girlfriend's parents might be calling and see that the place is a mess). It's OK holding a phone up to your ear but holding it out in front of you so they can see you but you cannot see where you are walking is disconcerting.

11. Battery - 2000mAh non-removable battery for me.
    Not to hijack this thread, but it's remarkably similar to http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=56947
    More RAM is all I want. Most of my medical apps cannot be moved to the SD Card.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    1) gorgeous high res screen (480x320)

2) 500 - 624 mhz processor

3) ev-do

4) superior speakerphone & mp3 player

5) 2 mpixel camera with zoom and flash / video recording

6) removable battery - 6 hrs talk time

7) blackberry email service

8) voice dial / sound recording

9) 64 - 128 mb ram

10) solid, thin sleek build - high quality
    I gotta have more cowbell
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Not to hijack this thread, but it's remarkably similar to http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=56947
    I didn't know that. But this one seems to lean more on the critical/tougher demand side. Hence the wording of the title.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    More RAM is all I want. Most of my medical apps cannot be moved to the SD Card.
    I'd put the blame squarely on the developers' shoulders here. If an app uses the Virtual FS feature, then it shouldn't matter. If the lack of RAM is the only dark spot on 600 compared to your dream device, then by all means, contact the developer and ask them to do a simple recompile.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    1) Bluetooth

2) Bluetooth

3) Bluetooth

4) Bluetooth

5) 320x320 screen

6) Bluetooth

Joe
    BT is not as generic as your post suggested archie. Saying something is BT compliant is like saying your are a geek but you dont mention what gadgets you have. BT supports multiple profiles - there are at least a dozen standard ones including object exchange, HID for keyboards and mice etc.

I suggest anyone responding to this thread be very specific as to what they expect from BT services.
  12.    #12  
    So, ACE seems to be good enough for you?

BTW, the fact that PalmOne registered treo700.com but not treo650.com says to me that the next flagship one will be called treo 700. Hopefully, it has more than just hi-res and BT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    BT is not as generic as your post suggested archie. Saying something is BT compliant is like saying your are a geek but you dont mention what gadgets you have. BT supports multiple profiles - there are at least a dozen standard ones including object exchange, HID for keyboards and mice etc.

I suggest anyone responding to this thread be very specific as to what they expect from BT services.
    I thought I was extremely specific.

I want Bluetooth with proximity detection and Ehanced Data Rate for High fidelity transfers.

If the device is holding Bluetooth's EDR it is also holding all the profiles that come with it. This includes things like mice, keyboards, audio and video (even 5.1 audio channels).
    This summer, PalmSource licensed Extended System's SDK version 2.0 (Bluetooth SIG 1.2), which does support the coexistence of Bluetooth communications alongside 802.11; BUT, I think it may be to optimistic to believe that this will make it into the next Treo though. Palm is inherently slow with things like this and waits to the last possible moment to incorporate that which we scream for to soak us for all we got.

On top of this, EDR is basically a tag on piece of technology that has come about in the last couple of months... which basically means we probably won't see this for another couple of years.
    EDGE dang it..EDGE!
    bluetooth
    for me

BT, 128mb Ram

Camera Blah. I still don't why people WANT a 1.3 mp camera. Just go buy one.
    NE way.
    1) EDGE
    2) Wi-fi built in
    3) more native memory
    4) Rogers providing a better GPRS unlimited data plan
    5) high res screen

if those 5 factors line up due to some miracle, i will sell my treo 600 and buy the new model. if not, there is absolutely no reason to switch.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    1. 320x480
    2. Cobalt
    3. 64 mB memory
    4. Wi-Fi
    5. EVDO
    6. Good form factor
    7. Bluetooth
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Two Words...

Better Reliability.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast