1.    #1  
    Do any of the phone applications out there have the ability to search by phone number?

I would like the option to find out whom a phone number belongs to without having to actually call the number to see the name attached to it.

I ask because, my desk phone at work has a number only caller-ID. If I start entering the number into my TREO and it filtered out the matching name. This would help me to decide if the unfamiliar number should go to voicemail.

This would also come in handy when I’m out with friends and they get a call and say..."Who is 410-.....?"

If anybody can recommend an App or suggest a solution….It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoTTyLr
    Do any of the phone applications out there have the ability to search by phone number?

I would like the option to find out whom a phone number belongs to without having to actually call the number to see the name attached to it.

I ask because, my desk phone at work has a number only caller-ID. If I start entering the number into my TREO and it filtered out the matching name. This would help me to decide if the unfamiliar number should go to voicemail.

This would also come in handy when I’m out with friends and they get a call and say..."Who is 410-.....?"

If anybody can recommend an App or suggest a solution….It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
    The standard PalmOS search feature should work with most PIM applications. Just enter a few digits of your number, and you will get the entries matching.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks.

I have tried that in the past...but it would always say no matches found for numbers that I knew were there. I revisited the find feature today and realized that you have to enter in the number with the correct punctuation and spacing as its filed in the system then it works..or at least it comes close.

What seems odd is that the results display an email address or a different phone number for the correct contact person.

Oh well, I guess that will make do for now. Thanks for the help. I will just have to go back and make sure all my contact info is entered in consistently.
    Most of the time i just search the last 4 digits of the phone number, which you presumably entired consistently. Even with the biggest address book, you're not likely to have more than a few entries with the same last 4 digits, I would think
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    Most of the time i just search the last 4 digits of the phone number, which you presumably entired consistently. Even with the biggest address book, you're not likely to have more than a few entries with the same last 4 digits, I would think

true...thats seems to be the easier way to search. Thanks.

...and I figured out that the first data entry for the contact (home,work,email....etc.) will be displayed in the find results.
    TAKEphONE is a program you should probably try. The developer is outstanding and you can search any field(s) you want.
    Contacts5 search ability is great for any sort of contact data stored on the treo.
    http://www.pdaperformance.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RoTTyLr

Thanks in advanced.
    You can use Call Lookup DA to search with many options the Address Book.

You need a DA Launcher program.
    TAKEphONE (www.shsh.com) will allow you to search this way = on the find-screen simply click the option key on your Treo to change character entry to number and enter in the number you're trying to find. If you only know that the number you're looking for is in area code 617, simply enter those numbers or just 6 or just 61 and app will yield all that apply regardless of parenthesis, dashes, spaces etc. To the right of the results list you will also find the contact name associated with each number so you can cross-check and confirm what you were looking for.
    FindHack does it on my Treo 600.

It will also find part numbers, so you can search on area codes etc.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway