Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have just finished updating CardKeeper originally written by Doug Anderson.

My Treo sometimes after a reset will not properly configure the SD card and leaves it unmounted even though the card is physically in the Treo. This will cause programs like LightWav (and obviously many more) to not work properly. So I have added the ability for CK to detect and alert when it does not see a valid mounted SD card.

Let me know if this works for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 11/04/2004 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Changing Title of Thread
    COOL! Thanks, so far it seems to work great! Report more later!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks for the update, jeff!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    COOL! Thanks, so far it seems to work great! Report more later!
    That's great. It's my first of hopefully many Treo enhancements.
    Jeff, Thank you for the update. Is there any chance of getting the option to have the cardkeeper alarm sound, even when system sounds are set to off? I always keep my system sounds off because I don't like the Treo beeping at every button press, but I would like the cardkeeper alarm to sound if the card pops out. Just a suggestion.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    Jeff, Thank you for the update. Is there any chance of getting the option to have the cardkeeper alarm sound, even when system sounds are set to off? I always keep my system sounds off because I don't like the Treo beeping at every button press, but I would like the cardkeeper alarm to sound if the card pops out. Just a suggestion.
    I will look into it. Do you want it to override the slider switch at the top of the treo or just utilities like BrightCam, Profeo Light, Butler, etc. that contol system sounds based on profiles? Or do you want it to just override your default sound settings in the preferences application?
  7.    #7  
    Have made a few changes and bug fixes.

*Fixed a bug where I did not clear flags correctly. Caused CK to not see the second missing card event.

Added the ability for CK to do a soft reset to try and recover a card that didn't mount correctly.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Jeff
  8.    #8  
    REPOST!!!

Another and hopefully the last minor bug fix.

This release brings back the color launcher ICON and 5-way nav support. There are no changes in application logic.
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 09/10/2004 at 06:30 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Here is what I have accomplished after much feedback from people.

I have the automatic (no soft reset) remounting code working! I have added a new option called "Attempt Card Re-mount". When you select this option, CK will attempt to programatically remount the SD card. It is working perfectly on my system. I also left in the option to soft reset. If both options are selected, it will FIRST attempt to remount the SD card and if that process fails, it will soft reset the device.

When soft reset is selected, I have disabled the power on check.

I have however enabled checking for the SD card everytime any application is launched. This check is only enabled when you select the "Detect Unmounted Card".

So now you have 4 choices:

1) only detect when the card is removed from the device
    2) detect card removals and Unmounted SD cards
    3) attempt to automatically mount the SD card programatically
    4) perform a soft reset to remount the SD card

I have also included an app called "Crash" that will help you test to see if CK is working. Crash does what it says - Crash your Treo! 7 times out of 10 it leaves my Treo with an unmounted SD card. Use "crash" at your own risk. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/redface.gif

Please let me know if this version works on your Treo's.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I will look into it. Do you want it to override the slider switch at the top of the treo or just utilities like BrightCam, Profeo Light, Butler, etc. that contol system sounds based on profiles? Or do you want it to just override your default sound settings in the preferences application?
    Jeff, thanks for your constant updates and also for looking into this. I think that the best thing to do is to keep it simple (probably easier said then done). The alarm should only sound if one has the slider switch set to have sounds on. If the slider switch is set to sounds off, it should probably vibrate when the card is not in place. I think the only thing it should overide is the Treo's general "system sounds."
  11.    #11  
    Jeff, thanks for your constant updates and also for looking into this. I think that the best thing to do is to keep it simple (probably easier said then done). The alarm should only sound if one has the slider switch set to have sounds on. If the slider switch is set to sounds off, it should probably vibrate when the card is not in place. I think the only thing it should overide is the Treo's general "system sounds."
    Right now that is what it trys to do. The only thing I am not doing that I should probably do is to override the current volume setting and elevate it to MAX volume. Thoughts??
    I would keep that as an OPTION only. This could be VERY annoying if I am in a meeting and suddenly a VERY loud sound starts coming out of my Treo.
    Right now that is what it trys to do. The only thing I am not doing that I should probably do is to override the current volume setting and elevate it to MAX volume. Thoughts??
    That's acually difficult for me to answer. I only think you should overide the current volume setting if that's what you need to do to get the alarm to sound when you have "system sounds" set to off.

I actually think that we may be talking about 2 different things. Let me explain what happens on my Sprint Treo 600 and you tell me if I am off track. In the Treo's system preferences under "general" there is an option to have system sounds turned "off." I usually have my system sounds turned "off" so that I don't hear the constant sounds the Treo makes whenever I hit a button etc. Nonetheless, I do want to hear any alarms that I have. So, for instance, a program like agendus will still allow you to hear your alarms even if you have your sounds turned "off" in the Treo's system preferences.

I can see that this works with card keeper. If I have my sounds turned on in the Treo's system preferences, the card keeper alarm will sound once the card is ejected. however, if I have those same sounds turned off (under system preferences--> general--->system sounds) then the card keeper alarm will not sound.
    Jeff, I downloaded Card Keeper the day you uploaded it. Today while I was out on the range teaching a bunch of newbies to ride motorcycles, I felt my Treo start to vibrate. Huh? Who'd be calling me now? Felt the phone, and the card was standing up in the slot. Eek... without the vibration warning, that card probably would have been gone soon afterwards.

Thanks!!!!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    Jeff, I downloaded Card Keeper the day you uploaded it. Today while I was out on the range teaching a bunch of newbies to ride motorcycles, I felt my Treo start to vibrate. Huh? Who'd be calling me now? Felt the phone, and the card was standing up in the slot. Eek... without the vibration warning, that card probably would have been gone soon afterwards.

Thanks!!!!
    I love success stories! If you haven't already done so, I would upgrade to v1.3.
  16.    #16  
    That's acually difficult for me to answer. I only think you should overide the current volume setting if that's what you need to do to get the alarm to sound when you have "system sounds" set to off.

I actually think that we may be talking about 2 different things. Let me explain what happens on my Sprint Treo 600 and you tell me if I am off track. In the Treo's system preferences under "general" there is an option to have system sounds turned "off." I usually have my system sounds turned "off" so that I don't hear the constant sounds the Treo makes whenever I hit a button etc. Nonetheless, I do want to hear any alarms that I have. So, for instance, a program like agendus will still allow you to hear your alarms even if you have your sounds turned "off" in the Treo's system preferences.

I can see that this works with card keeper. If I have my sounds turned on in the Treo's system preferences, the card keeper alarm will sound once the card is ejected. however, if I have those same sounds turned off (under system preferences--> general--->system sounds) then the card keeper alarm will not sound.
    Thanks for the explanation. I agree with you that this sound setting should not shut off the audio warning from CardKeeper. I'll work on this and post a new version. Good catch!

=========================

Well here is the updated version. Now has the ability to override the system alert volume setting. I also added the ability to adjust what volume level you want CK to use for its alerts. It will NOT override the hardware switch for sounds on the Treo.

Thanks again for the suggestion and let me know if this works for you........

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 09/11/2004 at 11:21 PM.
    Well if you want another success story, here is one!

I have been using my SanDisk Ultra 512 and even a Lexar 512 32x (thinking the SanDisk was the problem) and ALMOST every day I was experiencing the SD card not available. This caused my backup program not auto backup sometimes, caused my applications to not run when I selected them and had to eject and re-insert the SD card. Well it has been 2 days since the 1.3 install and I have yet to experience a failed backup or a program not launching because of a missing SD card. THANK YOU!!! If there is a way for me to pay you, I would! I know that there are other SD card notification programs out there but honestly my experience of an ejected card has been "0" but a missing SD card about 1-2 times a day before your program! Keep up the great work and let me know if I could reward a good programmer.

Bob
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInfo
    Well if you want another success story, here is one!

I have been using my SanDisk Ultra 512 and even a Lexar 512 32x (thinking the SanDisk was the problem) and ALMOST every day I was experiencing the SD card not available. This caused my backup program not auto backup sometimes, caused my applications to not run when I selected them and had to eject and re-insert the SD card. Well it has been 2 days since the 1.3 install and I have yet to experience a failed backup or a program not launching because of a missing SD card. THANK YOU!!! If there is a way for me to pay you, I would! I know that there are other SD card notification programs out there but honestly my experience of an ejected card has been "0" but a missing SD card about 1-2 times a day before your program! Keep up the great work and let me know if I could reward a good programmer.

Bob
    This is a great story! I'm glad that the program is working for you! Its nice to hear positive words about my contributions to the Treo world. This was my first attempt at providing usefull Treo utilities. In no way do I want to charge for this tool since it was freeware to begin with. But if you are so inclined to compensate me for my time and incent me to continue to develop tools for this wonderful Treo, I will gladly accept donations via my paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ransaction-run

The email address to plug in would be jeffgibson@wideopenwest.com

Again, no payment is requested or expected for this utility. It is freeware.
    Thanks for the explanation. I agree with you that this sound setting should not shut off the audio warning from CardKeeper. I'll work on this and post a new version. Good catch!

=========================

Well here is the updated version. Now has the ability to override the system alert volume setting. I also added the ability to adjust what volume level you want CK to use for its alerts. It will NOT override the hardware switch for sounds on the Treo.

Thanks again for the suggestion and let me know if this works for you........

Jeff

Jeff,

I've been testing out the added function, and so far so good. Thanks for the update. With this added in, you really have taken care of the most important aspect of the cardkeeper utility, making sure those alarms are heard loud and clear.

I do have another suggestion but it may not be something that is of any great necessity to add in (you've already done a great job). My suggestion would be to allow one to set up cardkeeper so that if the Treo's top switch is in the "sounds on" position, the card keeper utility will sound the alarm but not vibrate (while also allowing the cardkeeper utility to vibrate if the Treo's top switch is in the "silent/vibrate" position).
  20.    #20  
    Jeff,

I've been testing out the added function, and so far so good. Thanks for the update. With this added in, you really have taken care of the most important aspect of the cardkeeper utility, making sure those alarms are heard loud and clear.

I do have another suggestion but it may not be something that is of any great necessity to add in (you've already done a great job). My suggestion would be to allow one to set up cardkeeper so that if the Treo's top switch is in the "sounds on" position, the card keeper utility will sound the alarm but not vibrate (while also allowing the cardkeeper utility to vibrate if the Treo's top switch is in the "silent/vibrate" position).
    I'm glad that CK is working for you!

I agree that would be a nice feature to have but I would assume that most people will enable both beep and vibrate. I'll put it on the future enhancement list for now. I have started work on a new utility and want to devote time to this completely new development.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast