Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Walter Mossberg in today's WSJ column reviews the new Blackberry 7100t and compares it against the T600. The most interesting thing, however, about the review is that he hints strongly on some of the features that will be in the new Treo (e.g., better screen, removable battery and Bluetooth). Since Handspring used Mossberg to generate buzz for the T600 by giving him a pre-release version of the handset, I would anticipate PalmOne is probably going that route again. Then again, perhaps Mossberg got his info. from here and WBO's pictures.
    well, thats a nonewsnews.

what we wanna know is which wi-fi version - if any.

and so on. the general specifics are clear I guess.

or will P1 surprise us? doubt it.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    well, thats a nonewsnews.

what we wanna know is which wi-fi version - if any.

and so on. the general specifics are clear I guess.

or will P1 surprise us? doubt it.

No WI-FI on the 650. It has been said many times NO WI-FI!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    But did they also rule out WI-FI SD cards? For my needs, this option (Wifi card) would be a better choice to preserve battery life and minimize interference with the BT headset
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    On the P1 webcast today they would not confirm a new Treo but that there would be a family of Treos (a treo of Treo's?) and the stock is dropping like a rock because (in part) of the new Blackberry announcement of the 7100t at $199. Any hopes that P1 had of introing a Treo at $600 are now blown sky high...back to the drawing board on this news...face it folks this is now a commodity product not a specialty device anymore.
    From what I understand about the 7100t, it is not even close to what the 650/700 will be.
  7.    #7  
    It's quite clear that the pricing mode that BB and T-Mobile are using on the 7100t is designed to draw users away from other carriers and the T600. Speaking of which, I wonder how much T-Mobile is subsidizing the handset.

I'm not sure that I agree with the statement that this is a commodity product. I believe price is pretty inelastic when it comes to the Treo. P1 has the larger base of installed users and relationships with more carriers. That base of users are generally more corporate and/or higher-end individuals that can afford the cost of a Treo. On top of that, the investment (time and money) that a lot of us have in Palm applications coupled with familiarity with the Treo creates a migration barrier for going to a BB.

IMHO, as long as P1 provides in the next Treo version a number of the items that the user base has been asking for coupled with some form of rebate to make shelling out for a new unit more palatable, they'll keep the majority of their installed base and probably grow it.
    BssinRver, not sure how you can say that. I love my T600 but the BB has BT, Web, E-Mail, high res screen (yes better then my T600), 4.7 hours of talk time with the battery, admittedly odd keyboard, speakerphone, removable barttery, greater compatability with corp software and is $199. Explain to me please how a $600 Treo would be able to come close to competing with that?
    enagel, you believe what you want. I am sorry this just adds up to bad news for P1 in my estimation. I want to believe otherwise but I am concerned that businesses will buy into this. If I had to buy 200 units and the price was $40k for the BB and $100k for the Treo I would have to seriously consider the BB.
    Today's PalmOne webcast http://ir.palmone.com did indicate:
    • Treo 600 will be part of PalmOne's future expanded line
    • A High-End Product, Superior to the Treo 600 "Will be" released
    • A Product, lower than the Treo 600 "May be" released.
    It should be clear, from many TreoCentral Discussion threads:
    • Treo 600 is more complex than many consumers want or need
    • Treo 600 does not satisify the Techno-Addict, sufficiently
    4me - "What me worry" The Treo 600 has what I need

Will I move to a Treo 650 - I'm a Techno-Addict - what do you think?
    Last edited by ArcBody; 09/08/2004 at 03:03 PM.
    Gharrod, I don't believe that it has touch screen, and it has no expansion capability either. It is closed with no support for 3rd party apps also.
    Don't believe me, the market has spoken and P1 is down 13% right now, ouch...glad I do not own P1.
    Where do you get these P1 webcast?
    Bssn, when do you use the touch screen I take my stylus out only to reset anymore. Lately 3rd party apps have just caused me heartaches (and resets since the last Sprint update) and BB does have 3rd party apps. I just checked. Plus it can access the corporate VPN (something I have not been able to accomplish with my Treo).
    it will be posted for listening tomorrow midday sometime, it was on live today from a banktech conference in SF
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    BssinRver, not sure how you can say that. I love my T600 but the BB has BT, Web, E-Mail, high res screen (yes better then my T600), 4.7 hours of talk time with the battery, admittedly odd keyboard, speakerphone, removable barttery, greater compatability with corp software and is $199. Explain to me please how a $600 Treo would be able to come close to competing with that?
    I use my touchscreen everyday to play games like Bejeweled and Dope Wars. I'm not saying that these can only be done via touch screen, but it's still a viable input method for some things. It's worth some premium to have the advantage of using either navigation you prefer, rather than just a 5 way. I don't know if the Blackberry is something like the Nokia's, but those are really difficult to program software for because you basically only have two hot buttons to use. Anything that uses that in my opinion would be dead in the water.

Does it have MP3, camera? It appears no touchscreen, expansion, open 3rd party software (correct me if I'm wrong). Without those, it's better that the existing Treo 600 (available for $199 on Amazon) in some aspects (BT, high res), but worse in others. Hence, I'd put it on the same level as Treo 600 and not a Treo 650 until it adds those things. The Treo 650 could still sell at a fairly good premium to this based on the above features it will have.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 09/08/2004 at 03:34 PM.
    Gharrod, I see your posts but my question is: What do you want and what is the goal of your posts?
    I don't thinkSmartPhones are a commodity product at all and I really do believe that the new BB 7100t will serve a different market than the Treo.

For starters, Smartphones are still VERY new. There are tons of usability enhancements that can be added. Look at any Treo wish list and you can see that there is a lot of desire for different functionality. A commodity is something that represents the same thing to most people and has little to no unique characteristics to distinguish it. Smartphones, IMO, would not fit into that category. Porkbellies, yes; Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice; yes... Smartphones.... no.

As for the 7100t. There are a lot of positives to it. But I put it more in the Sidekick family. It's ability to link to corporate e-mail will not be a factor since this is being sold for more personal use than corporate use (hence the low price). Not many kids that I know of are running Exchange at home except a few of the little buggers that might be on these boards! But the web client might make for some use.

The fact that the 7100t does not have a touch screen, an MP3 player or the wealth of application support that both Palm and Microsoft enjoy will not make it a Treo killer. If anything, I would say that it might HELP the release of a lower line Treo smartphone as has been discussed previously. Competition in a new market segment would be nice.

All in all, I'm happy to see this new BB phone. Competition only benefits me!
    Quote Originally Posted by enagel
    Walter Mossberg in today's WSJ column reviews the new Blackberry 7100t and compares it against the T600. The most interesting thing, however, about the review is that he hints strongly on some of the features that will be in the new Treo (e.g., better screen, removable battery and Bluetooth). Since Handspring used Mossberg to generate buzz for the T600 by giving him a pre-release version of the handset, I would anticipate PalmOne is probably going that route again. Then again, perhaps Mossberg got his info. from here and WBO's pictures.
    maybe Mossberg is WBO. WBO is jewish and so is Mossberg ...... interesting.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I just noticed that the blackberry is only medium resolution compared to the Treo 650. Another reason why the Treo 650 could sell at a premium.

Also where's the 5 way navigation? Trackwheel not nearly as functional.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast