Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    maybe Mossberg is WBO. WBO is jewish and so is Mossberg ...... interesting.

LOL
    Rob600 I want P1 to listen, price for success of the product and get the bluetoooth version available. That is all.

bmac, if the touchscreen is needed so you can play dopewars then so be it. My statement was referencing my lack of need for a touchscreen. I saw a post by gfunk on another board recently defending not having touchscreen and I agree with him on this point. True there is no expansion card but I only use that for backing up the device because it has a thing about being unstable. THERE IS 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE
    for the BB. Not sure why everyone thinks differently. Go to their website and you will see the references listed. Frankly the MP3 aspect of the Treo is the most lame feature I can imagine. I have my iPod for that. And the Treo camera is worthless (see all the posts on all of us trying to figure out ways to make it better).

Steve in NYC, it is a commodity as of today. Nokia, and BB entering the smartphone market on top of the slew of new PocketPC offerings with phones from a number of manufacturers. Sorry but that makes it commodity. It happens in all segments eventually. Remember the original Treos came out in early 2001.

My point: HURRY P1 and get the next TREO into my hands!!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The slew of new PocketPC offerings are not priced as commodities. There is only one new PocketPC/Palm/Symbian 80 phone priced at under $200, and that's the BB. Nevertheless, now that there IS one, Palm has to answer by lowering the price of the Treo610 with 2 year contract blah blah. Good news for me.
    I wonder if the low price is for a minimum number of phones. I.e. your business replaces its worn out BBs for the new ones, and gets the replacement units at $200 a pop for quantity 100.
    What is the projected price on the Benq device that is due out in 30 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    The slew of new PocketPC offerings are not priced as commodities. There is only one new PocketPC/Palm/Symbian 80 phone priced at under $200, and that's the BB.
    To the best of my knowledge the BB doesn't run any of these OS. I thought it was just java on top of something that is fairly proprietary.

However you can get a Treo 600 on Amazon for under $200. There you go.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Like any industry, the product is priced to what the market will bare. And if the market is flooded with new products all claiming to do roughly the same thing, then lowest price wins. I hope that the Treo6xx will be priced to sell but time will tell. These discussions will not make Palmone fix the price higher or lower, so we can only hope that the price will be set at a point that we can all afford it. I am unclear why someone would want to pay a higher price for a product than another, unless you had throw away money.

In either event, I believe that if Palmone is smart, they will price it accordingly and since there are other products being introduced before them, they are loosing some of their market share and it is eating into their pricing structure.

Rob
    bmac, you won't listen so please don't comment to my ramblings. It seems to only get your dander up.
    For below $200, yes, but after rebates though, it's important I think.
    I agree RobM...lets hope P1 is smart enough and leaks info quickly enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    maybe Mossberg is WBO. WBO is jewish and so is Mossberg ...... interesting.
    What an amazing piece of deductive reasoning!
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Frankly the MP3 aspect of the Treo is the most lame feature I can imagine. I have my iPod for that.
    But that means carrying around 2 devices (phone + mp3 player), why not do both with one?

Although I've never had an iPod so maybe I'm missing out, or don't need to carry around 20gb worth of music...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    IMO, this BB device is VERY serious competition, regardless of the advantages the 600 and 650 have (Open OS, 1000's of applications, etc). BB is a VERY strong brand that is synonymous in people's minds with reliable, tried-and-true hand-held wireless instant email, in addition to its HEAVY business penetration already in place. Add to that a low price and this spells BIG trouble to palmOne, IMO bigger (at least in the short term) than Windows-based competition.

I too hope palmOne ACTS FAST with price reductions and an information campaign about their upcoming products.
    bmac, if the touchscreen is needed so you can play dopewars then so be it. My statement was referencing my lack of need for a touchscreen. I saw a post by gfunk on another board recently defending not having touchscreen and I agree with him on this point. True there is no expansion card but I only use that for backing up the device because it has a thing about being unstable. THERE IS 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE
    for the BB. Not sure why everyone thinks differently. Go to their website and you will see the references listed. Frankly the MP3 aspect of the Treo is the most lame feature I can imagine. I have my iPod for that. And the Treo camera is worthless (see all the posts on all of us trying to figure out ways to make it better).
    I think you can make a case for not needing a touchscreen, but it has to be considered a plus. Some people use it, and come to think of it, I use it when web surfing because I don't want to scroll to the bottom of a page to go to new a URL icon (a pain if it's a really long web-page).

Perhaps you can give me a link to Blackberry's 3rd party software. I couldn't easily find it. A Google search for an SSH/telnet program showed me that there is one available -- for $195 (http://www.idokorro.com/imssh.html). Maybe there are some cheaper ones available, but mine for the Palm is free. So while their might be 3rd party software available, perhaps it's not as plentiful or cost effective. Put another way, I've never known a Blackberry user to install 3rd party software, and conversely, I've never known a PalmOS user to NOT install 3rd party software. Probably that's why everyone thinks that there aren't 3rd party software available.

MP3 is on Treo is lame only if you have another $250-300 for an iPod and want to carry another device just to have 42 consecutive days of music available to you. I personally find that I can store enough on an SD card to give me what I need for a few hours. The reason people buy a Treo is for convergence, I don't know why they'd only want to converge in some areas.

The camera isn't the best, but it's getting better in the Treo 650. I used it a couple of times mostly as entertainment. The fact that people have written software to make it a web cam is $25 worth of value, right there. Being able to mobile blog with pictures is like-wise worth some value (say $25 as well).

Thus for this blackberry to match up with the Treo 600 for me, it would cost some $199 for the blackberry, $195 for telnet/SSH, $275 for iPod, and I'd have to add $50 of camera functionality. That's a total of something like $719. Granted the average user doesn't need telnet/SSH, but the cost of just an iPod should be enough. Of course if you own an iPod and like to carry with you, then maybe the $199 blackberry is as good a device as a $199 Treo. That's a lot of ifs for me, just have bluetooth (which is something that none of my other toys/tools use).
    bmac, you won't listen so please don't comment to my ramblings. It seems to only get your dander up.
    Read this too late, plus I like to have my dander up.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    IMO, this BB device is VERY serious competition, regardless of the advantages the 600 and 650 have (Open OS, 1000's of applications, etc). BB is a VERY strong brand that is synonymous in people's minds with reliable, tried-and-true hand-held wireless instant email, in addition to its HEAVY business penetration already in place. Add to that a low price and this spells BIG trouble to palmOne, IMO bigger (at least in the short term) than Windows-based competition.

I too hope palmOne ACTS FAST with price reductions and an information campaign about their upcoming products.
    Would your thoughts change if PalmOne added Blackberry support? A News.com story today says they might have already if not for a lawsuit on RIM that they don't want to be pulled into. Granted Blackberry will still be a big brand, but Treo could billed as full Blackberry support and any business decision maker (blackberry's core audience) should be able to understand that and base a decision knowing that.
    bmac, go to this site, choose the elements you are looking for and it will then direct you to the 3rd party sites... http://www.blackberry.com/ThirdParty/search.jsp

I spent 20 years of my life as a professional musician so I will not settle for anything but the best. I carry a large bag of computer gear with me to a 4 oz iPod in my Bose headset case is little bother to me and great joy for endless hours. Helps to fritter those hours in airports and planes away without drifting into insanity. So the Treo MP3 piece is not anything I take seriously.

I am not trying to seel anyone on the BB. I am trying to get my point across that P1 shoudl carefully consider the market when it prices and rolls out any new Treo. The touchscreen and crappy MP3's are not enough to shore up the market.
    bmac, go to this site, choose the elements you are looking for and it will then direct you to the 3rd party sites... http://www.blackberry.com/ThirdParty/search.jsp

I spent 20 years of my life as a professional musician so I will not settle for anything but the best. I carry a large bag of computer gear with me to a 4 oz iPod in my Bose headset case is little bother to me and great joy for endless hours. Helps to fritter those hours in airports and planes away without drifting into insanity. So the Treo MP3 piece is not anything I take seriously.

I am not trying to seel anyone on the BB. I am trying to get my point across that P1 shoudl carefully consider the market when it prices and rolls out any new Treo. The touchscreen and crappy MP3's are not enough to shore up the market.
    I went to that site and did a search for games and it came back with only two sources. The first one was Handmark.com. Handmark doesn't seem to support any blackberry's http://www.handmark.com/help/devicecompat.php and a search yields nothing for Blackberry http://www.handmark.com/products/res...erry&x=20&y=16 I don't have time to search through everything, but when you start listing sites that don't clearly support (maybe they are hidden somewhere) what you claim they do, well that's probably why people forget or don't know they have 3rd party software.

Okay as a professional musician your iPod is probably as important to you as my SSH/telnet client (as a software engineer) is to me. I think we both should agree that we are in the vast majority with respect to each. On the music side of things, I do like how the Treo can do Ogg Vorbis and hence double the quality at the same file size as mp3 (I think).

I mistakenly thought that you were trying to sell people on the BB. My bad. That said, I still think the Treo 600 currently at the same price is fairly competitive with the BB. If PalmOne comes out with a new Treo for $599 (though I think it will be less with contracts and what not), I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon drop the Treo 600 to $150 or so (after rebates and contract), making PalmOne's pricing pretty fair for the family of devices.
    The new BB announcement should put some downward pressure on the price of devices like the Treo 600 / 650 and the newer IPAQ based Pocket PC phones. These devices should more realistically be in a $399 price point before rebates as opposed to the $499 price point. Yes, a Palm or Pocket PC device can save you on the number of devices that you need to carry in order to support however connected or techno-addicted you want to be - but these other devices are dropping in price and increasing interoperability amongst themselves.

Ultimately, what is important to me, though, is the manufacturer of the device and the main intended purpose of the device. Pocket PC are PDA's first, phones second. BB are email platforms first, then PDA, then phones. Treo's are, in my mind a phone first, with everything else just slightly second. My biggest beef with the 600 is really the limitations of the OS - and the misrepresentation of the 600's capabilities in regard to being able to support Bluetooth and WiFi.

How PalmOne, with the carriers, handle the release of the next models will determine if I remain with a Treo or migrate to another device or devices which offer a better feature / expandibility / software / communication set.
    I think we need to realize here that the new Blackberry is targeting a different market. RIM will not sell this phone to their enterprise customers; this is geared toward the consumer and small business crowd. At $199 after rebate, this is a good price, but don't forget that you can go out and get a Treo 600 on Amazon for $199 today as well.

In my mind, this is is not really a smartphone; this is more like a phone with email capability. The lack of expansion is its key weakness, as well as its lack of third party software.
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    Gharrod, I don't believe that it has touch screen, and it has no expansion capability either. It is closed with no support for 3rd party apps also.

that is where palm wins and bb loses. palm will have way more developers of software and hardware vs. the bb. also, the look of the palm is way better than the bb. price wise, obvisioulsy the bb is cheaper but most of my co workers with the higher price point have stuck with the palm becasue of more software, design, and features

Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast