Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://handhelds.engadget.com/

I wish I knew who the person was who tested the current WiFi card on the Ace? The current WiFi card did not work on the Ace.
    I don't know how much stock I put into this story. I mean, I don't think I expected the card to simply work in the Treo 650 without installing any drivers. It would be nice, but that's probably far to much competence to expect. What's a decent level of competence to expect is if they release the drivers (and what-not) with the release of Treo 650.

I think Palm pulled the wool over our eyes with enough excuses over the last year. Bottom-line is that it's in the manual that the Treo 600 does provide all the hardware support for bluetooth and wifi and that it's up to 3rd party developers to make it work. They've done their best and work with a number of other devices, so obviously PalmOne has to be holding out, by either making it impossible or unreasonably difficult.
    Here's a wifi-newbie question. Do wifi cards come with on-board memory, or will I lose all of my external storage by using a wifi card?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Sandisk is the only one I know of that makes a combination WiFi SDIO card with 256MB of memory. Sandisk has released statements that they will not pursue drivers for the Treo 600 saying that PalmOne was not cooperating in the driver development effort. So to answer your question, yes, you have either a flash memory card, or the wifi card, but not both at once.

If I ever got one of these cards, it was always my intent to keep my 512MB SD card in the Treo except when I want to use Wifi. For the most part I keep it so that my core apps work indepenent of the external memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Here's a wifi-newbie question. Do wifi cards come with on-board memory, or will I lose all of my external storage by using a wifi card?
    Some do, but most don't. So yes, you'd lose external storage when using a wifi card.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think Palm pulled the wool over our eyes with enough excuses over the last year. Bottom-line is that it's in the manual that the Treo 600 does provide all the hardware support for bluetooth and wifi and that it's up to 3rd party developers to make it work. They've done their best and work with a number of other devices, so obviously PalmOne has to be holding out, by either making it impossible or unreasonably difficult.
    I have to agree wholeheartedly with bmacfarland. I'm a Sprint customer, and upgraded from the 300 to the 600 in Oct of last year. I've located a press release from Sprint for the launch of the 600 that said that Bluetooth and WiFi were compatible with the 600 and would be offered by 3rd parties.

Given the position that the device is architecturally incompatible with either of these technologies - to me - this is a pretty substantial misrepresentation of a product. I would suppose that a vast majority of those who paid anything from $200 - $400 to upgrade last year did so in the anticipation that at some point Bluetooth and WiFi drivers / cards would be released. Now, in order to get this technology - we will have to upgrade to the 650 for Bluetooth - and still may be out of luck for WiFi.

I've already started hitting Sprint on this - expressing my displeasure with the misrepresentation. I also think that we need to start expressing our displeasure with PalmOne over their role in the misrepresentation.

I find it impossible to believe that they could not have been aware of the architectural / power issues when they were touting the 600 last year - and we should not have to pay another $200 - $400 to upgrade to a phone that finally delivers a key selling feature.
    When I upgraded, I didn't see either BT or WiFi as driver. The Treo 600 just had numerous leaps over the 300 (mp3, camera, updated OS, form factor, 5 way nav, etc.) The 650 seems to have a lot fewer ones and those seem to be upgrades and not entirely new features (i.e. improved camera).

What worries me is that PalmOne hasn't seemed to say anything publicly about the lack of WiFi or BT on the Treo 600. They haven't come out to say that the device doesn't have enough power, or that 3rd party developers are not doing their jobs. They just pretend like it was never a thought in their minds.

Thus until they prove that it's available and working for the Treo 650 (which we'll probably find out at launch), I have to assume it doesn't. Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.
    Here's the back of my handspring box. (sorry for the crummy pic)

"supports sdio for additional functionality, including third-party developed bluetooth and wi-fi cards (sold separately through select retailers)"

Anybody found those "select" retailers yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    I've already started hitting Sprint on this - expressing my displeasure with the misrepresentation. I also think that we need to start expressing our displeasure with PalmOne over their role in the misrepresentation.

I find it impossible to believe that they could not have been aware of the architectural / power issues when they were touting the 600 last year - and we should not have to pay another $200 - $400 to upgrade to a phone that finally delivers a key selling feature.
    I agree that they intentionally misled us, no offence but do you think they care less about us "expressing our displeasure"? I don't think so, as long as we eventually upgrade we can make as much noise as we like.... This is why I sold my treo 600, and doubt I will buy another Palm for a few generations (if ever again, I may get attached to the HTC range of PPCs), esp. if they keep selling devices with crippled SDIO slots, and continue the poor build quality: my Treo 600 went back twice in 5 months with common hardware faults and my Tungsten E screen makes such an annoying high pitch noise whenever its on, which again is apprently fairly common (my gf doesn't mind as much as me so she got the TE)....
    Last edited by joele; 09/08/2004 at 07:03 PM.
    What worries me is that PalmOne hasn't seemed to say anything publicly about the lack of WiFi or BT on the Treo 600. They haven't come out to say that the device doesn't have enough power, or that 3rd party developers are not doing their jobs. They just pretend like it was never a thought in their minds.

Thus until they prove that it's available and working for the Treo 650 (which we'll probably find out at launch), I have to assume it doesn't. Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.
    As customers of PalmOne's premier device, we shouldn't be in a position to say Fool me once / Fool me twice. Granted in technology it happens - newer technology comes out, prices drop, etc - but this is a different case in my opinion. We have, apparently from the history of going on over BT and WiFi a feature set that was promised - but ultimately misrepresented to us.

PalmOne is being very negligent over it's lack of honesty, openness, and communication over this issue. They need to start being very open over this, offer some recompense for the missrepresentation, or else take a very substantial risk of their premier customers either selecting a competing product to upgrade to - or refuse to upgrade because they are unwilling to invest $200 - $400 in upgrade costs for another "promise".
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Here's the back of my handspring box. (sorry for the crummy pic)

"supports sdio for additional functionality, including third-party developed bluetooth and wi-fi cards (sold separately through select retailers)"

Anybody found those "select" retailers yet?
    Excellect find. I thought it was just in manual. I wish someone who was a lawyer could look into a class action suit based on this. If nothing else, I'd like to get Palm in the same room with a 3rd party developer (like SanDisk) and have it go something like this:

Me: Palm, you claim that Treo 600 has everything necessary to support Wifi and BT, right?
    Palm: Yes.
    Me: And SanDisk, you claim that you've done everything you can to make it work, but it's either not powered enough or that Palm hasn't provided you with necessary information to make drivers.
    SanDisk: Yes.
    Me: Palm, prove to SanDisk that it does have the power as you claim and give them support for the drivers. Otherwise, you are guilt of false advertising and give me some kind of credit.

I've had enough of the blame game.
    Joele - I'm actually thinking about how to take it further than "expressing our displeasure" - but I also don't want to throw around threats of litigation - particularly since I am not a lawyer.

The more I researched this after reading the post on the end of the BT bounty, and looking at the posts re WiFi - and finding the Sprint press release (Kudos to dutchtrumpet for holding onto the box ;-)) - the more I feel that PalmOne needs to do something for us before more of us bail on the platform.

The blame game is something I'm tired of as well - and I want PalmOne to be able to either provide the cards / drivers or compensation for those who purchased a Treo 600 that had promised expandability that is impossible to fulfill.
    Palm's ultimate punishment is found in the market.

As more powerful, full featured, qwerty equipped, WiFi enabled smartphones come out from more and more competitors (using RIM and that other OS) the Treo's popularity will regretably fade.

I've raged about the importance of enabling WiFi on the Treo through some means for maybe the last year. If the 650 still has crippled SD and no driver support for at the very least Palm's own WiFi card, its pretty much game over -- especially with the release hopefully soon of the Benq P50 -- which is what the Treo could be if it had WiFi.

Palm is too small and too impoverished a player to be able to have just an average product. To succeed and flourish it must have the best device every time.

That other market -- understood all that today when Palm's stock price fell 15%.
    I have the PalmOne box and the statement is different than it was on the Handspring box (thx Dutch).

It now reads "supports sdio for additional functionality, (expansion cards sold separately through select retailers).

Clearly they dont wish to get caught by that old message. My guess would be that they would say Dutch's box is not relevant because that was Handspring and they are not Handspring so they are not bound by any statements made by them.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    here's one for the lawsuit; come together people, they need to replace our treo600 with the ACE if they don't want to refund...
    *Sigh* Yet another example of the sloppy reporting over at Engadget...

FYI, the the drivers are not included on the SD card, you must download them from PalmOne and install them via hotsync first to work on the Z72, T3. Thus how this person could even definitively say this card will not work with the Treo Ace is ridiculous. In fact the blurbs says:

At least not unless palmOne writes some Treo-specific drivers for it, since according to an anonymous tipster who tested palmOne’s SD WiFi card with a Treo 650 he got his hands on, the card definitely does not work.
    Well no DUH!!!

I'm not saying the wifi SD will surely work on the Ace, but this certainly is no confirmation of anything...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I actuallly still have my Handspring box - very interesting. Truthfully if Wifi doesn't come on the 650, I will not be buying it. The need for Wifi is huge for me. The VOIP cross functionality is huge for me. Motorola already has come out with the new phones that have the Wifi chip in them that along with Avaya allows the carrier signal to be passed to the WIFI VOIP network allowing you to switch off the carrier network onto your own LAN. Come on let's get with it. Probably next model after the 650 will have WIFI. I will wait.
    Does anyone have good pictures of the boxes with the misleading language? I've got an AT&T box that has different language, but I'd be very interested to know which providers actually said that WiFi and Bluetooth cards would work.

Quote Originally Posted by z-extreme
    I actuallly still have my Handspring box - very interesting. Truthfully if Wifi doesn't come on the 650, I will not be buying it. The need for Wifi is huge for me. The VOIP cross functionality is huge for me. Motorola already has come out with the new phones that have the Wifi chip in them that along with Avaya allows the carrier signal to be passed to the WIFI VOIP network allowing you to switch off the carrier network onto your own LAN. Come on let's get with it. Probably next model after the 650 will have WIFI. I will wait.
    In the interview on treonauts.com the PalmOne Master Product architect said " As I said before, with each device, we are trying to develop a specific solution, and deliberately avoid cramming each device full of every bell & whistle."

This runs contrary what most of us believe, that in order to compete with the other devices that are in the same price range, products of similar feature set need to be produced. There is no reason to leave WiFi out of the Ace, when for my same $6-700 I can get it included from someone else.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast