Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Good car stereo analogy, but I think it falls apart because car stereos are not all built to one industry standard like bluetooth and wifi. To put another analogy out there, if you buy a laptop with an ethernet jack, you expect it work with any ethernet cable. If you buy a 3.5 floppy disk drive, you expect it to work with any industry standard 3.5 floppy disks.

This is one of the very things SD I/O was invented for.

I don't think Palm can take all of Handspring's assets and none of it's liabilities. I'm fairly sure you could still go after them legally.

To me it's very much worth caring about, because it's looking like I might not get the wifi promised a year ago. And it's likely going to impact the Treo 650. Palm has no monetary incentive to support any other SD cards in the future (except to sell more devices) and therefore might not. It concerns me that this is going to happen all over again with GPS cards (though we have an expensive solution with the iGolf, other competing ones should work), maybe TV tuner cards, etc. What good is expansion if it doesn't allow you to expand?
    I think that the issue though has nothing to do with Palm assuming liability for Handspring's obligations. No one on this board, at least not that I've seen, has produced anything showing that Handspring claimed anything other than the device being capable of that support. It has the slot. Therefore it has the potential-if the right things fall into place-to be capable of supporting those devices. I have an SD card reader for my laptop, but it's not capable of being used with an SD Bluetooth card. I bet if a third party wanted to, it could produce a program that allows it, but Kingston would probably have to cooporate at least a little.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that Handspring did not advertise or state anything that makes them liable for the lack of support by third party vendors. The example from Apple that was given earlier is not relevent because Apple themselves stated the the device was upgradable to its own newer standard. Handspring and Palm have never said they would provide support for their own Bluetooth and WiFi cards.

Until we have an actual lawyer come on the board and give his legal opinion, however, no one is going to do anything but agree that we all have our own opinions. Mine is that there is absolutely no grounds for legal action.

Mike
    The question is not "DOES the treo 600 currently support wifi and bluetooth?" but rather "CAN the treo 600 support wifi and bluetooth?" Do we know if it is possible or not? If it is possible, then there is no lie on the box. If it is not possible, then the box is lying.
    As a wise sage once said, "Opinions are like ^$$holes, everyone's got one, and some are bigger than others." With that caveat, here goes my opinion

The question is going to be whether you can prove either: (1) the SDIO capabilities of the slot were known to Handspring to be insufficient to support another radio card (whether Bluetooth or WiFi); or (2) Handspring refused to cooperate with third party developers to furnish the specs or driver support to make such cards possible.

This wouldn't be the first time in this industry that the SD slot didn't have enough power to support much of anything other than a memory card. It would be a tough case in either event, and you'd have to also furnish some solid proof you bought the thing in reliance upon the development of a WiFi card.

Which all begs a major question - why should we have to even have this discussion with regard to the Treo 650? HP has put out a phone with GSM/GPRS/WiFi/Bluetooth, and likewise a PDA (HP 4150) smaller than any current PalmOne PDA with both WiFi and Bluetooth. So what's PalmOne's problem? Put in the WiFi chip and move on already. I guess they need to hold that enticement back for the T700 in November 2005, to be followed by another new hotsync connector in the super dooper T800 in November 2006.....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    You got it. And a year from now we will all be back here, wondering if there will be a trade-in plan for our 650's. Ain't progress wonderful?
    Quote Originally Posted by mishabel
    The question is not "DOES the treo 600 currently support wifi and bluetooth?" but rather "CAN the treo 600 support wifi and bluetooth?" Do we know if it is possible or not? If it is possible, then there is no lie on the box. If it is not possible, then the box is lying.
    And that's what you need an expert witness to attest to. If you have an expert witness showing exactly why it can't (i.e. doesn't have enough power), then it puts the ball in PalmOne's court to explain why it can or else they would be guilty of false advertisement.
    I agree.
    Which all begs a major question - why should we have to even have this discussion with regard to the Treo 650? HP has put out a phone with GSM/GPRS/WiFi/Bluetooth, and likewise a PDA (HP 4150) smaller than any current PalmOne PDA with both WiFi and Bluetooth. So what's PalmOne's problem? Put in the WiFi chip and move on already. I guess they need to hold that enticement back for the T700 in November 2005, to be followed by another new hotsync connector in the super dooper T800 in November 2006.....
    Apparently, you did not read my earlier post. How many carriers is the HP on? Of the carriers it IS on...how many sell WiFi service. You see, when the carrier sells phone service and WiFi service, it makes good sense to have a unit that can consume all those services. For the ones that don't, it's a money-losing opportunity.
    A few years ago my company bought an HP Windows CE device (yes, pre-PPC) for me to prototype a possible new product. This device claimed to support 4096 colors. Apparently, several customers discovered the device actually did not support that many colors and filed a class-action lawsuit. According to HP, there was an engineering subsitution for a chip that did not support the same number of bits-per-pixel, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, we got a full refund.
    I wouldn't really want a full refund. The Treo has been very good to me and I don't want to see Palm go under because it has to refund some millions of millions of dollars because of the wording. However, I'd just appreciate it if they'd get on the horn and publically deal with the wifi issue, which I realize might be tough if the carriers are pressuring them.

I wouldn't mind if they just gave a $100 off a future Treo purchase or something like that.
    Word!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    We were definitely misled on this one and having the box is proof as well as what was stated on Hanspring's site at point of sale. If Palm purchased Handspring in a stock deal...easy enough to research, they'd be liable for Handspring's obligations. I do feel cheated by not having BT and WI Fi and may seek a refund from Sprint on this point which seems easier than a class action....if we all start seeking refunds, Sprint might press Palm to take action. Sprint will more motivated to keep us happy than PalmOne IMO (due to ongoing revenues from air charges).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123