Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Being a big iTrek GPS fan, I've come across a New Pretec SDIO GPS device, don't think it's available yet?

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/...2380&listing=1

But will it work on my Treo 600, it says Palm????
    It probably won't fit in the slot due to the antenna.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    It is huge. Wonder what effect it would have on battery life!
  4.    #4  
    H/W Spec.

- Interface: SDIO Interface
    - Antenna: Build-in Active Antenna
    - Power Consumption: <110mA max. @3.3VDC
    - Operating Temperature: -400C ~ +850C
    - Storage Temperature: -500C ~ +1000C
    - Humidity: <=95%

http://www.pretec.com/index2/product...rals/SDGPS.htm

Is <110mA max. @3.3VDC a lot?

It would be really cool if this works, as its around 1/2 the price of iGolf etc.
    I'd write them to find out. If you do I'd be interested to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv
    It is huge.
    YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN I WOULDNT WANT THAT HANGING OUT OF MY PHONE
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    <i>But will it work on my Treo 600, it says Palm????</i>

It will if it antena won't get on the way...

<i>It would be really cool if this works, as its around 1/2 the price of iGolf etc.</i>

Not really , since you still will have to buy software for it....
  8.    #8  
    I have already bought Mapopolis which works great in the car, one of the options within the GPS settings is "Use SD Connection".

I'm off to the States next week, could any US folks let me know of any Retails Outlets I could try before I buy?

I don't think it's that big, considering what its actually doing, remember the Ipaq huge GPS jackets etc.
    I just got a message back from Mobile Planet saying "The Pretec SD/IO GPS card, MobilePlanet part# MP970863, is compatible with the Palm Treo 600. The operating system and IO port meet the minimum requirements."
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    How do you envision mounting this in your car? If it will have to have a clear view to the sky it seems that a lot of mounting options will be eliminated. Maybe the mounting devices that use a suction cup on the windshield will work. I'd have to see some decent photographs before I'd order it. Like chazglenn3 said "It probably won't fit in the slot due to the antenna."
    I don't see how this would work even if it does fit. Wouldn't you normally have to install software and have ample amount of memory to be able to install maps, software etc. And with it taking up you SDIO slot, I don't see how it will work Unless this has built-in memory.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I don't see how this would work even if it does fit. Wouldn't you normally have to install software and have ample amount of memory to be able to install maps, software etc. And with it taking up you SDIO slot, I don't see how it will work Unless this has built-in memory.
    Exactly! You would have to put any maps you need into RAM and who has that kind of free space (especially if you are going on a cross county/state/country trip). The Mapopolis maps are pretty big. Another reason why having only 32 Megs of RAM in the ACE is an asinine (and inexcusable) decision by PalmOne.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    How do you envision mounting this in your car? If it will have to have a clear view to the sky it seems that a lot of mounting options will be eliminated. Maybe the mounting devices that use a suction cup on the windshield will work. I'd have to see some decent photographs before I'd order it. Like chazglenn3 said "It probably won't fit in the slot due to the antenna."
    I think you'd still get good reception in a car. I have number of friends with Nextel phones with GPS chips and they generally have no problem with it as long as it's somewhere in the car. Maybe the Nextel chip is helped out by cell towers, though, I don't know.

In any case, I don't know if this is the best solution for use by a car. As mentioned it doesn't have room for maps and other things like that. One thing this is useful though is hiking and other activities where carrying an external power source is not convenient. I bought an i.trek and it's only useful in a vehicle. I want something more portable that I can take with me anywhere. Right now it seems like there are going to be some trade-offs.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I would bet that they are using their towers to help with this. Every other GPS that I'm aware of has to have a clear view to the sky for the GPS receiver.

I wonder how fast this device will drain the battery. I'm betting it's going to suck it dry pretty quick. In your car that's OK if you have an external power source but hiking or on your bike...
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I would bet that they are using their towers to help with this. Every other GPS that I'm aware of has to have a clear view to the sky for the GPS receiver.

I wonder how fast this device will drain the battery. I'm betting it's going to suck it dry pretty quick. In your car that's OK if you have an external power source but hiking or on your bike...
    Good point about the battery. I really envy my friend's ability to have GPS from their Nextel phones. I might just have to wait for Sprint (or another carrier) to step up with the program and open up access to GPS.
    If anybody buys it can he post reply on how this setup works and what affect it has on batery life?

Plz... :-)
    Hey, folks,

SDIO GPS will NOT work with Mapopolis out of the box. The manufacturer of the GPS has to include a Palm OS driver that will make the output of the GPS appear as a serial port that the program can address. So far, to my knowledge, only iGolf has provided such a utility.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I was looking at GPS solutions and can see the pluses of having a SDIO GPS that can travel around with me in car, on foot, etc. This unit is listed around $125 which puts it in a good deal column for me. Playing around with GPS software recently leads me to believe that the SD slot being taken up by a GPS receiver and not leaving a place for maps on SD card to be used simultaneously may be a problem.

I played around with Trip Pilot which had a neat feature of using your address book (street) locations for starting and ending points and then downloads only which maps are needed for the trip into memory. A traditional GPS screen was also included for traditional coordinate info. A soultion like this that uses an SD GPS receiver, existing address book info, uses the web to download only what you need and voice commands (I dont trip pilot does this) would be very appealing...seems that the web component of this uses Vicinity service now owned by MSFT and is unavailable now...anyone know of a similar product that has the same or similar features????
    Quote Originally Posted by j$hort
    I was looking at GPS solutions and can see the pluses of having a SDIO GPS that can travel around with me in car, on foot, etc. This unit is listed around $125 which puts it in a good deal column for me. Playing around with GPS software recently leads me to believe that the SD slot being taken up by a GPS receiver and not leaving a place for maps on SD card to be used simultaneously may be a problem.

I played around with Trip Pilot which had a neat feature of using your address book (street) locations for starting and ending points and then downloads only which maps are needed for the trip into memory. A traditional GPS screen was also included for traditional coordinate info. A soultion like this that uses an SD GPS receiver, existing address book info, uses the web to download only what you need and voice commands (I dont trip pilot does this) would be very appealing...seems that the web component of this uses Vicinity service now owned by MSFT and is unavailable now...anyone know of a similar product that has the same or similar features????
    You might want to check-out the Quo Vadis maps at www.marcosoft.com. I've been using their software and maps on my old Palm IIIc for the last few years and they work great. Their maps are very small, i.e. 1K to 15K for individual cities or towns or 100K to 400K for entire counties.

I don't do a lot of traveling on a daily basis so I don't need a "turn-by-turn" program, I just wanted to replace my paper maps with a Palm based program that also had GPS capability. I use a Navman GPS receiver with the old Palm IIIc. I have traveled in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, California and Hawaii and have found that their maps are very accurate.

I've installed their maps in my T600 and they work fine but they only have limited 5-way support. I've downloaded maps from their website via. Blazer and had no problems.

I'm also looking for an SDIO GPS solution for the T600 to try-out the GPS compatibilty. I ordered the Pretec SDIO GPS device but canceled my order after reading the post from SafeHarbor. The Pretec GPS is "hardware ONLY" and does not come with the Palm drivers!
    Palm III > Palm IIIc > Waiting... Waiting... > Treo 600
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Thanks LyonsL,

I will try out the stuff at marcosoft...and add to my list of possible GPS software options. Let's hope we start seeing some support for the palm OS and Treo 600+...I was thinking about installing some wired GPS mice in the cars recently...but I think I will hold out a bit to see what surfaces in the near future. I wonder if GPS will ever be built into the Treo...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast