Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Might be out in Taiwan in Sept 04. It seems pretty cool to me.

http://www.brighthand.com//images/Benq_P50_S.jpg

Quad Band: 850/900/1800/1900
    Screen: 240x320 pixels touch screen
    Camera : 1.3MP
    Misc: MMS / Java / WAP WLan / Bluetooth / IRDA / USB Video (?) / Audio recorder+player / SD/MMC
    4.7 inches long, 2.4 inches wide, 0.8 inches thick, weight of 5.3 ounces.

[more]
    does it support EDGE ?
    If you look at the size, in comparison to the Treo, you'll see that it's about an inch longer that we're used to with the 600.

Not for me, thanks. I'd look at the Motorola MpX because it's the same size as the 600, without the antenna, when it's closed. It also has Bluetooth, and WiFi, and an EDGE version is supposedly in the works. The release date for it isn't much clearer than for the 650 though.
    Its all a matter of price. If its priced anywhere near or below the Treo then yes I think it could be very credible competition. It does lack a good brand name however as BenQ isn't really known in the US or Europe. But if they do it right sure I don't see why not.

240x320 resolution is still kinda lame though. 320x320 or bust!
    I think it's the ugliest POS ever.
    It reminds me of a graphing calculator rather than a phone. It's ugly.
    The ergonomics don't look as good and it does seem to have a lower resolution. Does it have a CDMA version? That said, it's probably the closest thing to competing with the Treo. As another person said, price will be a big factor.
    a device can have all the features possible but it must still have a sharp form factor to outmaneuver the treo. the features are what we want, but form factor is very, very key ( no pun intended )
    Wouldn't you say that it's a very similar form factor? I mean it seems to be about the same size (I guess if you count the antenna of the Treo 600). There are some ergonomic issues I think, but I wouldn't knock it before I see it.

Then again, a lot of people say that the BenQ is likely going to be vaporware for awhile. That being the case, it would have to come out before the Treo 650 before I consider it.
    The BenQ P50 is quad band GSM and tri-wireless (GSM/GPRS + wifi + BT)!! Furthermore it run WM2003 (SE?) and have a Treo-like thumboard. SO yes... it can definitely rival if not beat the Treo just based on the specs alone! The only thing that has yet to be determined is if BenQ can integrate the thumbboard into the OS as well as the Treo and whether the battery life is not as terrible as feared...

Overall, the P50 represents Chinese industrial espionage at it's best!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/07/2004 at 04:54 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The question for me is whether the Treo can rival the Benq P50, P910, HP6310 or XDA III, the answer? Maybe in the US (individually), elsewhere I doubt it!

"240x320 resolution is still kinda lame though" LOL and whats that make the Treo 600's 160x160, downright pathetic?

Actually there are now a handfull of different 640x480 PPCs out, it will be interesting to see who is the first to bring a 640x480 PPCPE (Phone Edition) to the market and whether Palm responds with a 480x320 Treo? I'm not a huge fan of the thumb-board and a 480x320 Treo would be a tempting device, esp if it had inbuilt wifi....
    Last edited by joele; 09/07/2004 at 06:14 PM.
    Treo looks real good with EDGE, 1.3 megapix and 320x320
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85
    Its all a matter of price. If its priced anywhere near or below the Treo then yes I think it could be very credible competition. It does lack a good brand name however as BenQ isn't really known in the US or Europe. But if they do it right sure I don't see why not.
    240x320 resolution is still kinda lame though. 320x320 or bust!
    Yeah how about if they are selling it under 'Dell' rebrand? Maybe you should try to panic now and avoid the rush?
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    The question for me is whether the Treo can rival the Benq P50, P910, HP6310 or XDA III, the answer? Maybe in the US (individually), elsewhere I doubt it!

"240x320 resolution is still kinda lame though" LOL and whats that make the Treo 600's 160x160, downright pathetic?

Actually there are now a handfull of different 640x480 PPCs out, it will be interesting to see who is the first to bring a 640x480 PPCPE (Phone Edition) to the market and whether Palm responds with a 480x320 Treo? I'm not a huge fan of the thumb-board and a 480x320 Treo would be a tempting device, esp if it had inbuilt wifi....
    A VGA PPCPE has been talked about for sometimes, we are just waiting for pictures.

This is another QVGA PPCPE ins very small package. (Korea only)
    http://www.technoa.co.kr/content/View.asp?pPageID=55167.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele

The 160x160 is a year old. I still think Treo's specs beat anything else out there with touchscreen and thumbpad. So yeah, it's not great resolution, but for year old and considering it's brighter than anything known to man, I don't think it's downright pathetic. The Palm V is downright pathetic compared to today's devices, but at the time, it was pretty good. You have to measure it compared to the time.

I'm not too interested in anything bigger than 320x320 if they don't have thumboards and/or require a flip open. I like the new slider concepts. If you can get a thumboard into one of those and use the device length as screen, then you've got something for me to be excited about. Anything else seems to be a trade-off, and not one I'm willing to make.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ^^ The XDA III is pretty much that, I have II and think I will wait for next gen the next version hopefully will have 640x480

Even a year ago 160x160 was very slack of Palm/Handspring....
    actually, it looks like the XDA IV will be a very smallPPC phone with its major feature being size and weight. No keypad or nuthin'

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

oh yeah, and BenQ usually takes a very, very, very long time to actually get products to the consumer. They had a UIQ phone, the P30 that took about 18 months after they themselves had announced it

Rumor is that it may be released this month in Taiwan.

The P50 was first shown at the Cebit back in March, so they've already used up their long time to release it...
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    actually, it looks like the XDA IV will be a very smallPPC phone with its major feature being size and weight. No keypad or nuthin'
    You have a picture of XDA IV? where?
    (Magician != XDA IV)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast