Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I will bet that not even 1% of current T600 owners want Wi Fi. I don't know what I'd do with it. If I have WiFi, I'm usually at home with my PC or laptop. Out on the road, I don't pay the grasping fees demanded by those who offer WiFi for a fee, but use Sprint to check on things other than email which is just as fast without WiFi as with. So, although there are clearly some very vocal and committed people here who want WiFi, I have the feeling that most people, like me, have difficulty imagining that it would be anything very useful. Close to the same for Bluetooth, though it seems to me that many people want the advantage of wireless earphones. But the advantage even there seems to me to be somewhat minimal. That's my two cents, and in my opinion it's worth at least four or five cents.
    I'm in the 1% category you mention. Not so much that I need WiFi but I think that PalmOne needs to release a "kick-***" device that will put the Bill Gates's Microsoft Giant to shame.

With so many hotspots now popping up it would be usefully. As an example lets say I was in Europe with my Sprint Treo with WiFi - I could locate a hot spot and still check my email even though the phone portion wouldn't work. I wouldn't necessarily take my laptop with me but could still function with the PDA/wifi portion of the Treo.

I agree in principal that it wouldn't be a big deal for most, and it's not a "stopper" as far as that goes but without a doubt, BlueTooth for me would be a stopper. If for some unfathomable reason the Treo Ace(650) for Sprint doesn't have BT then I'm not buying it and in fact will sell my 600 in favor of either the next gen of PalmOne Tx or Pocket PC with BT.

M2C and it's only worth 2C
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 09/15/2004 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    ...The question will come down to the fact - will we early adopters pay again for what is ultimately an interim release...
    Let's face it folks, by nature, technology evolves through the incorporation of incremental innovations into existing products. Given this realization, EVERY product is an "interim release". By the time the 650 supports WiFi, we'll be clamoring for WiMax; by the time the Treo 7xx supports WiMax, we'll demand a micro hard drive that holds our entire music library, or some new fangled display technology, or ......

Going back to my original statement (about technology evolving in incremental steps) to be fair, this is not ALWAYS the case. Quantum leaps in technology do occur, but they are extremely rare. For example, take the telegraph. Now that was a giant leap of innovation -- electronic communication across vast distances. But since then I would argue that innovation has been for the most part incremental:

telegraph -> telephone -> wireless telephone ->

At the same time you had:

1st computer (huge) -> Personal Computer (smaller) -> Handheld Computer

Then came the integration of these two rapidly evolving technologies:

wireless telephone + handheld computer = smart phone by IBM -> Kyocera -> Other companies -> Handspring Visor phone spring board module -> Treo v1 -> Treo v2 -> and now the impending release of Treo v3 -> WHAT'S NEXT?? -> and what's after that???

OK, I'm done with my rant (sorry, got carried away ) But my simple request is that we appreciate each product for what it is -- an incremental step in a never-ending journey of innovation -- rather than a disappointing "interim release".

... stepping off my soap box
    Last edited by dulan; 09/15/2004 at 05:11 PM.
    go.digital
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    After reading southpawuser's post I decided to call the Sprint 1-888 number and see how consistent they were. The CSR I spoke with indicated that the Treo 650/ACE (they had both listed but he said they were the same device) with an estimated launch date of late November. He said it would have BT, 1 MP camera, PTT, and 320x320 resolution. He couldn't find anything about WiFi. So much for being consistent...
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    After reading southpawuser's post I decided to call the Sprint 1-888 number and see how consistent they were. The CSR I spoke with indicated that the Treo 650/ACE (they had both listed but he said they were the same device) with an estimated launch date of late November. He said it would have BT, 1 MP camera, PTT, and 320x320 resolution. He couldn't find anything about WiFi. So much for being consistent...
    What number did you call? I just talked to two people with NO clue

thanks!

If you dont want to post it can you PM me?
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    ... I agree in principal that it wouldn't be a big deal for most, and it's not a "stopper" as far as that goes but without a doubt, BlueTooth for me would be a stopper. If for some unfathomable reason the Treo Ace(650) for Sprint doesn't have BT then I'm not buying it ...

Okay, I'll bite: What's the deal with Blue Tooth? The earphone? I have a really nice set, including stereo for P Tunes but the fact is I use it about one hour a month, or two months , or three months. I have no need for the camera, for instance, but I use it now and then. Bluetooth even less. Like never. Unless I'm wrong. Is there something more than the earphone it's (really and practically) useful for? Seems like a really minor item to me. Really minor. I'm astonished!! I understand it's important to you, but unless it's important to a meaningful segment of the customer base, I'm sure no manufacturer could care less.
    Well for me it's not the ability to listen to music via headphones, but rather the ability to wirelessly use a headset for calls. I find the cords annoying, and would prefer to be able to leave my phone in my briefcase. Also, I'd like to be able to sync without pulling out the cord.

But that's just me...
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    It's probably not just you; I hate the cord too; that's partly why I don't use the phones much. I just suspect that the BT solution may not really be much of a solution. I think I'd rather just hold the damned thing up to my ear and use it like a normal telephone.
    great tks soughpawuser - makes sense

so the official announcment will be within these september days ...
    It is primarily the earphone but also the ability to connect to other devices via BT such as my HP 450cbi printer. If WiFi isn't onboard then I could use a BT dongle to connect to my home network and have networking via wireless to the network.

I think probably a better way to put it for me: If there isn't BT then there is no reason to buy the 650. I'd probably opt for another Palm device that may also be on the horizon and then trade off the Treo.

And one more thing: BT is nearly as much a requirement in Europe as is WiFi here and if PalmOne refuses to acknowledge the European market then I'd think that PalmOne would quickly evaporate into oblivion as far as market share.

The other issue: Verizon and Sprint are the only two widespread cellular networks that don't at present offer Bluetooth in their mainstream phones. And according to various BT sources, the BT industry is shipping 2 to 3 million BT chipsets a month.

Ford and most of it's subsidiaries and some GM vehicles, BMW, Mercedes etc all are incorporating BT technology into their vehicles for some 2004 applications and most 2005 applications. Image spending $600 for a phone that doesn't have the ability to take advantage of this technology in a $20K car......You could play an MP3 through the stereo system if you were so inclined.

BT can be used incorporate the car's speaker system and a remote BT microphone as a built in speaker phone for the car. Motorola makes a $99 BT speaker phone now that can be used with a BT phone either in a car or in your office.

Image if you will a BT dongle on a laptop - I could carry a BT mouse, numerical keyboard and as well not have to carry a sync cable thus eliminating stuff that will eventually end up in the dumpster when it's no longer used. Since I got the environmental angle covered I'll get off the soap box.

Bottom line: BT is a form of technology that not everyone will endorse but then if it's not included in the 650, I'll choose not to endorse the 650.
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 09/15/2004 at 07:16 PM. Reason: notes
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    Okay, I'll bite: What's the deal with Blue Tooth?
    • Bluetooth on the Treo will let you do things like pick party tunes via your phone at hand while taking care of your guests and being a party animal.

• Not only can you move between and scan within tracks—"Salling Clicker" lets you search for tracks by name, artist, composer, and album. When used with Bluetooth, upcoming tracks or album artwork is shown in your handheld's display!

• You could watch TV or DVD movies with the Treo acting as a remote (no need for that crappy IR crap on the Treo) without ever leaving the couch. If you have a Palm app like Salling Clicker, when your Treo rings, the Bluetooth app will pause that DVD player automatically when you receive a phone call (like PocketTunes).

• Speaking of Salling Clicker, you can also use it as a remote for slide presentations and have access to slide notes from PowerPoint. You can even preview upcoming slides write on your Treo before they go up on the big screen.

• And with those X10 home units, you could even set up your computer to turn on room lights before you even walked in the door with Bluetooth’s proximity detection and the Salling Clicker. You could also have it do things like open up web sites on your desktop computer and check e-mail as you walk into your house.

• Bluetooth connectivity would also conceivably let me use my Treo to Fax from Mac OS X. This is becoming a necessity; primarily because I do not have a land line. Can't afford it with my Treo voice and data services and cable internet at home.

• Oh, there's also wireless syncing and wireless headsets.

Just a few of the reasons for me to endorse Bluetooth.
  12. ggs
    Treobits.com has a contest going on that offers the smartphonetools software for free to the person who guesses the correct release date of the 650.
    Well each to his own; I respect all your desires. I wouldn't want to do even one of the things you have mentioned as it's not what I have a smartphone for, but that's just me. And as to that, me, the one thing I care about is a replaceable battery. The first T600 equivalent or better that offers replaceable batteries so that I can always just pop in a new one and be on my way, while the old one(s) sit charging at home or at the office, well, that's the phone I'm popping for. But I realize I'll do it in silence, without all the tunes you guys are listening to; and in darkness; and all alone without any guests who have all left because my parties are so...boring...! I'll be sitting in my darkened, silent, lonely room. Think I'll make a call....
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    Well each to his own; I respect all your desires. I wouldn't want to do even one of the things you have mentioned as it's not what I have a smartphone for, but that's just me. And as to that, me, the one thing I care about is a replaceable battery. ...
    Agreed.
    Moose Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ggs
    Treobits.com has a contest going on that offers the smartphonetools software for free to the person who guesses the correct release date of the 650.
    Yeah, I know. My bet was December 18, one week before Christmas. That's when I think they'll hit the stands. I'm not sure if the contest was about when it will be announced or when it will be theoretically available, but I won't be surprised (I really have no idea, having no inside information, but being permanently skeptical of big business) if it isn't really available until then.
    Quote Originally Posted by satyric
    Also, I'd like to be able to sync without pulling out the cord.

But that's just me...
    I sync all the time with no cord. I use the IR port on Treo with the IR port on my laptop. I'd like BT for handsfree in the car, but dont really care to have a wireless headset. I'd rather keep up with the cord than more batteries, chargers, etc for a headset.
    Carl
    I don't need Bluetooth or Wi-Fi in a cell phone. For my needs, a BT headset is an added expense and another thing I'd have to keep charged up. I only need/use a headset in my car, so having a cord for that limited use isn't a big deal.

I'd rather have built-in GPS, though that's line-of-sight which poses issues. I'm still waiting/hoping for the carriers to open up access to the built-in GPS functionality that most of these phones have, but I'm skeptical that they'll be accurate enough to replace dedicated GPS devices for in-car navigation.

Still, even loose GPS accuracy could be a very cool addition when combined with an always-on internet-connected device. You could easily pull up showtimes for theaters near your present location, have the photos you take flagged with the location that they were taken, and all sorts of other wonderfully creative things I haven't even thought of yet.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Could you people just once - just ONCE - stay on topic?????

Good Grief??? As if there aren't enough threads arguing about the features or perceived lack thereof on the 650.
    On the other hand, how much can you say about the release date of the 650? Just posts with a bunch of dates in them? You have to understand, most of us don't really believe there ever will be a release date!
    Ooops, sorry perry_rob. I was ranting.

I don't really have any hard information but I offer further confirmation of inventory clearing efforts of some sort in conjunction with Apple Computer:

http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/15/treo/
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast