Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PLEASE oh PLEASE oh PLEASE hurry up and release the Treo 650! My severe gadget addiction must be satisfied soon...and the Moto MPx220 is running neck and neck with the Treo 650... I think I'd prefer the Treo, but not sure I'll be able to hold off if the Moto comes out first....

I need to go to a meeting or something...
    Just want to add to my note above, the Palm store manager also mentioned that Verizon will be the last to introduce the 650, as they have committed to at least one year of 600 sales (sorry VZ customers)
    If Verizon doesn't come out with it when everyone else does, this "loyal" VZN customer is jumping ship...so not sorry VZN customer, but sorry VZN...you snooze, you loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    Just want to add to my note above, the Palm store manager also mentioned that Verizon will be the last to introduce the 650, as they have committed to at least one year of 600 sales (sorry VZ customers)
    If that means Oct. 2005, then I'm saying bye-bye, because my NE2 is next spring and I'm not waiting another 6 months to get it.
    Cingular has decent coverage in my area and I'll port to them.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I hate this waiting!!! Last year when the Treo was coming out, Handspring had WEEKLY newsletters letting us know the status and the features. I ordered one on the first day available (October) and got mine within a week! If they are already being shipped and mass production goes into effect within a month-why won't they let us pre-order? Makes NO sense and they could probably use the sales projections!
    I think that your subject line is your own answer:
    Last year = Handspring
    This year = PalmOne

I expect that we will not be getting the special Handspring owner discount either from last time.
    Yep. Best be ready to pay up for this one! Not only is the company different, but there is little need to entice people as the Treo 600 was a runaway hit (most unlike the 180, 270 and 300).
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Miami fellow here. You do not want to sit there on 160 MPH winds. It will suck the pen out of the Treo!

Quote Originally Posted by ido
    jeez, between waiting for the 650 and waiting to see where Ivan's gonna hit, I'm in a tizzy!

I NEED ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ARGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    think i'm gonna dodge a bullet here!
    time to obsess over the new treo again!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Yep. Best be ready to pay up for this one! Not only is the company different, but there is little need to entice people as the Treo 600 was a runaway hit (most unlike the 180, 270 and 300).
    But on the other side of things, there's very little new functionality besides bluetooth (which requires an additional purchase (headset, car, laptop) to be useful) and maybe PTT added to the Treo Ace. Lots of other upgrades (hi res) make the Treo Ace better at the existing functionality in Treo 600, but not too much is new.

The Treo 600 added SD slot, music playing (multiple formats even), camera, 5-way D-pad, form factor, a significant upgrade to the OS (3.x to 5.x) over the Treo 300 in addition to the better chip, more memory, brighter screen existing functionality upgrades.

It seems to me there is very little to entice current Treo 600 owners to upgrade. They surely might not do something for existing customers, but I'd argue it makes as much or more sense for this release than it did the last. It would be different if they were launching a Treo 900 that had wi-fi, EV-DO and EDGE, Cobalt, and maybe a slider. That would be signifant enough to get people to be prepared to pay up.
    The Treo 650 really seems as if it is the phone that Handspring / P1 promised the 600 would be.

The question will come down to the fact - will we early adopters pay again for what is ultimately an interim release with BT and the improved screen being the real draws. I don't know if I will. I am still pretty upset over the misrepresentation on the 600 - and the apparent lack of WiFi. I have to see how BT will work - will it be for voice and data or just data only?

What new software - if any - will be available? MobiTV? PTT?

Given the unfulfilled promises of the 600, I will be very very cynical regarding the promises being made about the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    The Treo 650 really seems as if it is the phone that Handspring / P1 promised the 600 would be.

The question will come down to the fact - will we early adopters pay again for what is ultimately an interim release with BT and the improved screen being the real draws. I don't know if I will. I am still pretty upset over the misrepresentation on the 600 - and the apparent lack of WiFi. I have to see how BT will work - will it be for voice and data or just data only?

What new software - if any - will be available? MobiTV? PTT?

Given the unfulfilled promises of the 600, I will be very very cynical regarding the promises being made about the 650.
    Athos,

Just curious, what do you consider the multiple unfulfilled promises of Handspring/palmeOne with respect to the Treo 600?
    They were selling it from the beginning with the notion that it would be WiFi capable at a later date. That never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    They were selling it from the beginning with the notion that it would be WiFi capable at a later date. That never happened.
    Was there an explicit promise of WiFi?

And if we grant that, what else was promised and not delivered? The original message indicates the existence of more than one unfulfilled promise.
    Bluetooth and wi-fi were promised through SDIO functionality. Search my posts and see the pic I posted of my original handspring box.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Bluetooth and wi-fi were promised through SDIO functionality. Search my posts and see the pic I posted of my original handspring box.
    Sorry, I tried and I couldn't find the post... your name and sdio with wifi or blue* or bt didn't bring up anything except your last post. Can't search for posts with attachments either. Pls post the statement (don't need to see the box scan)
    Let me start by saying that I would be a very happy camper if the Treo 600 supported WiFi or BT cards. However, I was intrigued by the claim of broken promises by Handspring and now palmOne, so I decided to do a little digging into this.

If the claim of support of SDIO is taken as the only piece of evidence behind the claim of "unfulfilled promises" by Handspring and now palmOne, I will offer the following evidence to suggest that not supplying enough power to the cards to support WiFi or BT cards does NOT constitute non-compliance with the SDIO standard.

The following is an excerpt from the Simplified SDIO Card Specification document published by the SD Association (bold, italicized emphasis is mine):

10.2 SDIO Power Consumption

The SDIO cards are intended to operate in mobile devices that have limited power sources available. Because the host device’s battery life may be significantly reduced if the SDIO device draws excessive power, a primary goal of SDIO designers should be low power. By reducing power consumption to a minimum, Host battery life and consumer satisfaction will be enhanced. The following power data represents the maximum that a SDIO device may draw. It is important for designers to note that a low power host may reject any SDIO card that identifies itself as drawing more power that the host is willing to supply, thus lower power devices may have a competitive advantage in the market.

10.3 SDIO Current

Upon initial insertion, SDIO and combo cards shall draw a maximum of 15mA, averaged over a 1 second interval. Note that a memory or combo card built to meet the SD Physical specification version 1.0 may not meet this initial current requirement. Any card built to meet a specification later than 1.01 shall meet this requirement. Once the card receives the CMD5 or ACMD41 initialization commands, the average current shall be:
    • 50 mA or less, averaged over a 400 µS period for SDIO only cards
    • 100 mA or less, averaged over a 1 second period for combo cards
    This current limit will continue until the card exits the initialization procedure (Disabled for SD and in_idle_state
    for SPI).
    So, IMO, while it may be disappointing that the Treo 600 does not support such cards, one cannot that these devices do not really support SDIO. Indeed, the SD Association's own spec seems to make room for the type of SDIO support in the Treo 600.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/15/2004 at 03:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    It is interesting to me that many are so upset about this Wifi issue. When these devices were designed there were NO SDIO WIFI CARDS available. There needs may not have even been defined. I think BT is the lrager failure. This is something that is surely much more feasable and could have been delivered. My guess is that these things were intended but got lost in the wash with the merger. I have also been around long enough to know that any technology feature that is not available at the time of release may or may not actually come out. When you buy a piece of technology you should buy it for what it does today and not what it may do tommorow. That is what i have done in buying my T600 and I am very happy with it. I will most likely do the same thing with the T650. That is unless another product suites my need beter at the time of its release.
    Just got off the phone from Sprint's 800# and was told that the release in the stores is scheduled for the second week in Oct., actually he specifically said the 12th.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast