1.    #1  
    I'm playing with the trial of Dr. DivX and having trouble manually setting the output details. What succesful settings have others had converting for play on the Palm?

Also, has anyone used this for converting DVDs for Palm viewing? The manual states you have to get the DVD files to the hard drive first. Kind of a pain but I would prefer not to have to purchase Pocket-DVD as well. Anyone have a painless solution?

Thanks
    use virtualdub instead. a lot better and flexible. read the MMPlayer website for instructions as to how to use virtual dub
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I'm playing with the trial of Dr. DivX and having trouble manually setting the output details. What succesful settings have others had converting for play on the Palm?

Also, has anyone used this for converting DVDs for Palm viewing? The manual states you have to get the DVD files to the hard drive first. Kind of a pain but I would prefer not to have to purchase Pocket-DVD as well. Anyone have a painless solution?

Thanks
    What are you trying to encode with Dr. DivX ? DVD's will need to be ripped (copy protection removed before encoding)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    use virtualdub instead. a lot better and flexible. read the MMPlayer website for instructions as to how to use virtual dub
    Not even close close, Dr. DivX is way easier.
    always had better quality using virtual dub due to the fact that it is so flexible. fine tuning i mean.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Not even close close, Dr. DivX is way easier.
    maybe easier, but better qualities acheieved on virtual dub
  7.    #7  
    What are you trying to encode with Dr. DivX ?
    .avi files of tv shows I record to my hard drive for viewing on my Treo.
    Very simple to convert to portable format for treo.

Click video file, it analyzes, and you select he output quality and size, copy resulting file to sd card, play with MMPlayer.
  9.    #9  
    Very simple to convert to portable format for treo.
    I was asking about particular fine tuning with Dr. DivX. I've already read that you are a fan of this program.
    Fine tune for instance ? What do you want to manipulate ?
  11.    #11  
    Jeebus! Are you not retaining this thread!?!? I want to go beyond the default settings and tweak the output as finely as possible for viewing on the Treo. My main issue is there is not an obvious FPS setting in Dr. DivX. But I'm sure there are more aspects to fine tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Fine tune for instance ? What do you want to manipulate ?
    video settings - for instance, you can manipulate the frame rate, the compression, multi-pass encoding to give more frames to fast moving sections, cropping, audio compression and manipulation of bit rate. there's a lot more that you can do with virtual dub than you can with dr divx. think of dr divx as a noob tool or an automatic car that gives you something but not exactly what you want. think of virtual dub as a more advanced tool where you can fine tune video output to your exacting specifications

for people using virtual dub, you can go to the MMplayer website and follow the instructions there. For your ease, I have attached a virtual dub settings file.

1. load the video in virtual dub.
    2. go FILE-LOAD PROCESSING SETTINGS and open this file i have attached

it is good for DivX encoding at 160kbps and audio of 24kbps at 12khz in stereo. if you want to make changes to this, go to MMplayer website to see how. http://www.mmplayer.com/encoding.php

also, check out this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=divx

at the end of that thread, you'll see this:

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
    Visual settings
    1 pass CBR coding 128kbps DivX
    Frame rate conversion-Process every other frame (decimate by 2)
    Filter- reduce size to 160x128

Audio settings
    MP3 audio 24kbps stereo 11,025Hz

Multipass coding will give better compression but takes longer. The key setting I found was the decimate by 2, this allows you to use higher quality settings without putting too much strain on the Treo CPU. These are the settings I use for films, for shorter videos you can increase the quality settings
    hope this helps.
    Website for VirtualDub: http://www.virtualdub.org/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rossoneri; 09/07/2004 at 12:18 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Thank you rossoneri!

That's what I'm talking about. I don't have time tonight to play with virtual dub, but I will soon. And thank you for the settings file.
    Borat ALWAYS knows what he's talking about