Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not excited about Bluetooth on my phone, too many risks. also, too many things to list on this post, theres a good article on the link below.

"Bluetooth security flaws"
    http://escctrl.com
    bluetooth can typically be turned off on the device so if you like all the other features and have no use for the BT just turn it off.
    I would worry more about what you do at hotspots than at BT.

That is a LOT riskier.
    I say we develop a color coded alert system that informs us at what level the threat is against bluetooth.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    I say we develop a color coded alert system that informs us at what level the threat is against bluetooth.

TheHandlessKing
    LOL
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Turn off discoverablility, then others can't see your phone.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    holy crap! when the 650 comes out, I don't even want any of you guys to get one because I heard it will enable you to see through my clothes!
    Ugh. Wasted thread. Anyone considering the ACE should know enough about Bluetooth to know how to manage it so the threat of identity theft is nominal, not to mention everybody wants wi-fi and it IS a much bigger risk. Don't be downing on my Bluetooth, man!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    In terms of keeping laymen out of your personal business, Bluetooth is no more/less secure than the front door of your home. If you leave it open you leave, you leave yourself at risk for anyone to just waltz on in. However, in terms of thieves, it is extremely unsecure. The reason being that there is no encryption of the data sent and recieved over Bluetooth. It is probably not a good idea to use Bluetooth to transfer critical information; it can be intercepted quite easily by third parties.

This threat isn't wide spread yet due to the lack of popularity amongst laymen. If Bluetooth were heavily used by almost "everyone" (or businesses, especially) on a daily basis then it would be a much larger target. I personally think Bluetooth is great, just not in all situations.

I'm not even going to go into the whole WiFi thing here... Let's just leave it at "nothing is ever secure". You must always use the right combination of tools for the job. And honestly "the worst" security is ignorance.
    wi-fi, done right, is pretty damn secure. Even the minimal security is adequate to avoid the casual hacker.

even a completely open wifi hotspot can be secure via ssh and ssl

BT is a bigger hole...discoverabiltiy isn't the issue...it's the non-encryption.

however, by the time the masses use it, BT 1.3 will be here and have encryption :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    BT is a bigger hole...discoverabiltiy isn't the issue...it's the non-encryption.

however, by the time the masses use it, BT 1.3 will be here and have encryption :-)
    Incorrect. Bluetooth has included the capability of 128-bit encryption between devices since its release.

And discoverability is the issue that is most commonly used to attack devices. Making your BT devices undiscoverable won't stop a determined attacker, but it will certainly keep the script kiddies and casual browsers out.
    On a purely side note. Has anyone noticed that people with low thread counts have been popping up yelling the sky is falling? Check out the T-Mobile HS & Internet post among others.

TheHandlessKing
    Have wifi and bluetooth at home, yes they all at least have 128 bit encryption. There are no absolutes in security.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    On a purely side note. Has anyone noticed that people with low thread counts have been popping up yelling the sky is falling? Check out the T-Mobile HS & Internet post among others.

TheHandlessKing
    Thats how life is... "Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do"
    I just wanted to chime in here to say that BT is way more desirable and secure than Wi-Fi, from where I stand ('course I have a T-Mobile data plan).

It is a perfect match for phones and I am at a loss why the Treo (as sophisticated as they have been) has not had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    <snip>I just wanted to chime in here to say that BT is way more desirable and secure than Wi-Fi, from where I stand <snip>
    Umm... where exactly do you stand? I work with these technologies on a daily basis. Currently, Bluetooth cannot be used as securely as WiFi. Sure, out of the box they are almost the same in terms of security. However, WiFi offers some simple solutions for beefing it up. You really can't compare them in general. They are two different technologies for use in different situations. If you do compare their security aspects alone WiFi is like a good quality combination lock and Bluetooth is like one of those cheap locks you get with new luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    If you do compare their security aspects alone WiFi is like a good quality combination lock and Bluetooth is like one of those cheap locks you get with new luggage.
    Very well put. And entirely accurate too. BT has its place. A data network is not it. As with most things, the least bit of knowledge will help plug any security risk BT may present on a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaTreo
    Incorrect. Bluetooth has included the capability of 128-bit encryption between devices since its release.

And discoverability is the issue that is most commonly used to attack devices. Making your BT devices undiscoverable won't stop a determined attacker, but it will certainly keep the script kiddies and casual browsers out.
    Capability yes (I was aware of this, just making a joke with the smiley, that in re-reading, doesn't come off)

Turned off by default = worthless

I was making a comment that in the "next release" it would be turned on by default, the same way that wi-fi vendors got smart and did this (as well as improved security.)

Having things off by default, or having vendors tell you to set everything to 0000 is a joke. (this relates to my non-encryption comment, which was not correct; it's encryption, but everyone has the same key; that is encryption, but completely insecure).
    Last edited by mikec; 09/07/2004 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Capability yes (I was aware of this, just making a joke with the smiley, that in re-reading, doesn't come off)

Turned off by default = worthless

I was making a comment that in the "next release" it would be turned on by default, the same way that wi-fi vendors got smart and did this (as well as improved security.)

Having things off by default, or having vendors tell you to set everything to 0000 is a joke. (this relates to my non-encryption comment, which was not correct; it's encryption, but everyone has the same key; that is encryption, but completely insecure).
    A joke it is indeed. Do you use Micro$oft products?... Yea, you know where I was going with that.

Welcome to the wonderful world we live in where logic is skewed, ignorance is dominant and laziness catalyzes this behaviour.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast