Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1.    #21  
    I am so sorry for voicing my views on this board... I should know my place, keep my mouth shut and eagerly read posts only from peaple who post all the time. it must not matter that I have been reading this board for over a year now, but I was out of line.. I posted... oh my... thank you for setting all of us "low posters" in our place. we now know not to contribute.
  2. #22  
    what exactly is your point, skillz?

    We're you on of the Icy Hot Stuntaz?
  3. #23  
    My point was that you are correct about default security in products being a joke. However, putting up with it is seems unavoidable (hence the comment about using Micro$oft products). Nowadays everything designed for use by the masses tends to have security disabled just to make it quick and easy to deploy. The reason products are like this, especially Micro$oft products, is because people are ignorant and lazy. These human traits drive manufacturers to cripple the security they've gone out of their way to design.

    On a side note: I'm not familiar with the "Icy Hot Stuntaz". I searched google and found what seems to be a group of very confused young men who take pride in embarrassing themselves. That being said... may I ask why you're wondering if I was one of them? Surely your question wasn't an attempt to slander me; was it?

    Anyhow, sorry for any misunderstanding.
    .
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    My point was that you are correct about default security in products being a joke. However, putting up with it is seems unavoidable (hence the comment about using Micro$oft products). Nowadays everything designed for use by the masses tends to have security disabled just to make it quick and easy to deploy. The reason products are like this, especially Micro$oft products, is because people are ignorant and lazy. These human traits drive manufacturers to cripple the security they've gone out of their way to design.

    On a side note: I'm not familiar with the "Icy Hot Stuntaz". I searched google and found what seems to be a group of very confused young men who take pride in embarrassing themselves. That being said... may I ask why you're wondering if I was one of them? Surely your question wasn't an attempt to slander me; was it?

    Anyhow, sorry for any misunderstanding.

    I do not think it is so much laziness, as it is a risk managment decision.
    Security is often overly complex for the set of circumstances in which it is used. Mainly, this is do to poorly architected applications and data models.

    I do not think people are ingnorant and lazy; I think they use heuristcis to maximize thier efficiency. Just because they don't conform to "your" view of security does not make them ignorant and lazy, nor who I describe people using MS products as such.

    Slander, no. Libel, maybe ;-) I just saw your username and it brought back memories of the IHS.
  5. #25  
    I'm sure you can turn off BT when you are not using it. Also, because of the radio strength and power usage, you are physically more secure than WiFi. You are not just going to broadcast very far from your device. Hence the whole "personal area network".
    If you are concerned about BT security on the treo 650, turn it off before you go out public unless you are using it.
    If you are using the bt headphones, chances are that the treo 650 won't have the CPU power to handle both your headphones, your phone conversation AND someone snooping and reading your data (while being very, very close to you).
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Phreak
    I am so sorry for voicing my views on this board... I should know my place, keep my mouth shut and eagerly read posts only from peaple who post all the time. it must not matter that I have been reading this board for over a year now, but I was out of line.. I posted... oh my... thank you for setting all of us "low posters" in our place. we now know not to contribute.
    We all started with low post counts and you should not let the opinion of others silence your questions, comments or stance. I have a high post count for whatever good that is and still I learned about a security issue here with BT that I was not aware of before. So do continue to continue to voice your views for yourself as well as for those like myself who come to the board to learn and welcome relative questions.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Capability yes (I was aware of this, just making a joke with the smiley, that in re-reading, doesn't come off)
    Apologies Mike, I missed the smiley as well. Urp. I need to read closer next time.


    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Turned off by default = worthless

    I was making a comment that in the "next release" it would be turned on by default, the same way that wi-fi vendors got smart and did this (as well as improved security.)

    Having things off by default, or having vendors tell you to set everything to 0000 is a joke. (this relates to my non-encryption comment, which was not correct; it's encryption, but everyone has the same key; that is encryption, but completely insecure).
    You are, in all likliehood correct about the next release of the BT spec containing some deeper form of security (PKI instead of shared keys anyone) enabled by default.

    And to expound on your statement. I can build a completely secure machine by burying it in a 100 cubic foot block of concrete. No keyboard, no mouse, no monitor, no power. It's completely unusable, but pretty much secure against all except the very most determined attacker.

    As you put it elsewhere, a matter of security vs. usability vs. risk mitigation.
  8. #28  
    no worries....it's all good.

    spot on with the concrete bldg example re: security.

    I have likely been a bit zealous in some of my replies....my apologies.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Phreak
    I am so sorry for voicing my views on this board... I should know my place, keep my mouth shut and eagerly read posts only from peaple who post all the time. it must not matter that I have been reading this board for over a year now, but I was out of line.. I posted... oh my... thank you for setting all of us "low posters" in our place. we now know not to contribute.
    I'm all about censorship, so you read my mind.

    TheHandlessKing
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions