1.    #1  
    I installed the new Standard version of Smappermail (2.04.01) a few days ago. My first impression is that it's a little prettier, but no huge changes (and no more Blinky, doh!).

I quickly realized that 'T' (Trash) is now Purge (why couldn't they have used the letter 'P' for Purge?) and 'D' is the new 'Move to Trash'. Fine. Just have to get used to hitting 'D' instead of 'T'. Or so I thought.

After a day of my usual downloading, Moving to Trash and Junking, I arrived home to find that the emails I had 'Moved to Trash' with the 'D' key (should have been moved to Trash on the Treo and NOT deleted off the server, this is how I have my POP account set up in Snapper) were all gone!! Also, they WEREN'T in the Trash on the Treo -- the 'D' key totally obliterated the emails instantly. Luckily only one of them was important and I was able to get it re-sent, but that was kind of embarassing.

After fiddling around for a bit, I realized that if I hit 'Menu' first and THEN 'D', it works correctly, the problem only occurs when you use the 'D' key by itself. I emailed Snapper and apparently this is a known issue that will be fixed with an update "soon". Hmmm, I wonder when that will be? And thanks a lot for not letting me know in advance that one of the funtions is broken and I will unknowingly delete my email!

Another thing that bugs me is in the older version of SnapperMail, Junking a message moved it to the Trash with a tag to delete the message off of the server. In 2.04.01, Junking deletes the message instantly and doesn't put it in the Trash. Sometimes I get a little overzealous with the 'J' key and I need to restore an email I Junked, or remove the tag to delete the email off of the server. Not possible in 2.04.01. The user manual states that there is a setting in Preferences that sets whether Junked email is deleted immediately or put in the Trash, but I couldn't find it. I checked with Snapper on this issue as well, and they said there is no such Preference to set (maybe it's in the Premier and/or Enterprise versions??). They suggested I use the 'Confirm when Junking' setting, but that will mean more keystrokes when Junking, and I could still space out (lol) and Junk something accidentally.

Since there aren't any new features that are very important to me (don't need IMAP, etc.) and it doesn't feel ready for prime time, I think I'm going to downgrade. Maybe I'll try it again when they release the update...
    the updated version of the old has everything you want, except blinky
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    I installed the new Standard version of Smappermail (2.04.01) a few days ago. My first impression is that it's a little prettier, but no huge changes (and no more Blinky, doh!).

I quickly realized that 'T' (Trash) is now Purge (why couldn't they have used the letter 'P' for Purge?) and 'D' is the new 'Move to Trash'. Fine. Just have to get used to hitting 'D' instead of 'T'. Or so I thought.

After a day of my usual downloading, Moving to Trash and Junking, I arrived home to find that the emails I had 'Moved to Trash' with the 'D' key (should have been moved to Trash on the Treo and NOT deleted off the server, this is how I have my POP account set up in Snapper) were all gone!! Also, they WEREN'T in the Trash on the Treo -- the 'D' key totally obliterated the emails instantly. Luckily only one of them was important and I was able to get it re-sent, but that was kind of embarassing.

After fiddling around for a bit, I realized that if I hit 'Menu' first and THEN 'D', it works correctly, the problem only occurs when you use the 'D' key by itself. I emailed Snapper and apparently this is a known issue that will be fixed with an update "soon". Hmmm, I wonder when that will be? And thanks a lot for not letting me know in advance that one of the funtions is broken and I will unknowingly delete my email!

Another thing that bugs me is in the older version of SnapperMail, Junking a message moved it to the Trash with a tag to delete the message off of the server. In 2.04.01, Junking deletes the message instantly and doesn't put it in the Trash. Sometimes I get a little overzealous with the 'J' key and I need to restore an email I Junked, or remove the tag to delete the email off of the server. Not possible in 2.04.01. The user manual states that there is a setting in Preferences that sets whether Junked email is deleted immediately or put in the Trash, but I couldn't find it. I checked with Snapper on this issue as well, and they said there is no such Preference to set (maybe it's in the Premier and/or Enterprise versions??). They suggested I use the 'Confirm when Junking' setting, but that will mean more keystrokes when Junking, and I could still space out (lol) and Junk something accidentally.

Since there aren't any new features that are very important to me (don't need IMAP, etc.) and it doesn't feel ready for prime time, I think I'm going to downgrade. Maybe I'll try it again when they release the update...
    I totally agree, and have been back to 1.9.2.1, and now 1.9.5.1 ever since the release of 2.0. Except for the IMAP implantation 2.X is far less effective for my usage in every way. My chief complaint to Snapper about all their products is that they are slow when compared to the native mail app on the Treo 600. They are aware of the superior speed of the Handspring mail application and complained that Handspring and now Palm one will not let developers access to certain parts of the Treo 600 OS, which could improve mail speeds for 3rd-party developers, and anyway they see no reason to improve (receive and send) speed "for now as very few have reported it as problem." Too bad, IMO.
    Chatter is significantly faster than Snapper for IMAP, and doesn't have any help from Handspring....

Marc
    Lol

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Quote Originally Posted by elysian9
    ...they see no reason to improve (receive and send) speed "for now as very few have reported it as problem." Too bad, IMO.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but where are you quoting that from? The reason that I meniton this, is that every indication that I've seen from them (I certainly may have missed something) is that their immediate priority is on bettering the speed of their product. Here's one example from their most recent newsletter:

"*IMAP4 speed optimizations
    We plan some dramatic speed increases with 2.1 when syncing to IMAP4 servers."
    Email correspondence with Will L., regarding slow Pop3 fetch speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Chatter is significantly faster than Snapper for IMAP, and doesn't have any help from Handspring....

Marc
    not for long.

as for the original posterd issue about d = junk. yeah, they found out this issue a couple of days ago. it is a problem with the standard client.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    [QUOTE=Felipe]not for long.
    QUOTE]

interesting taunt? I heard that Will wasn't gonna support Push mail, just sync retrieval

Compared to Chatter, Snapper's IMAP is a joke. And support for attachments is coming tomorrow.

It's like the difference between running and walking.
    [QUOTE=100thMonkey]
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    not for long.
    QUOTE]

interesting taunt? I heard that Will wasn't gonna support Push mail, just sync retrieval
    the not for long was a comment about the speed differnce between Snapper's and chatter's IMAP sync. Snappers, lags behind, but will make up the gap.

It was stated a couple of times that push (or what I call silent polling), is on the agenda for snapper. They haven't given an ETA on that.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    ahh, sweet, sweet.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    The only reason I use Snapper is because of its ability to attatch files directly from SD card (since that's where ALL my pics get saved to). The integrated client functions fine for most of my purposes, but I need to be able to send files from the card without moving them to memory first.
    Tell me more about getting your pics to your SD card. Are you talking about pics from the Treo camara? I would like to get the camara to store pictures as a jpg on the SD card. How can I do that?

ddeger
    I actually tried setting up the new Iambic Agendus Mail app today. Chatter is still the slickest, but iambic v4 is good for IMAP and speedy. Snapper is dreadfully slow syncing folders. I cannot bring myself to buy it. But Agendus does pretty well. The interface is a little quirky but it is still fast and predicitable.

Derek
    The 'Trash/Delete' problem is a bug that will be fixed in the next update.

We're also steadily improving performance each update. The initial 2.0.4.01 was focussed on interoperating with as many IMAP servers as possible. Now we're happy we work with most we're improving perfomance and functionality. Next release will definitely be faster to sync IMAP.

Stuart Nicholson
    www.snappermail.com
    any ETA on push? how about background operation?

My 'D' just deletes to Trash and my 'J' truely junks the mail. Is that because of the version of 2.04.01 I have?

And... how does silent polling = push? I thought push meant I didn't have to poll at all.
    Felipe - "Silent Polling" and push are NOT nearly the same thing.

Marc