1.    #1  
    Hi, first time posting on the forums, great info here guys, thanks!

Here's my situation, I was wanting to buy the Treo 600 several months ago, but when I heard of some of the shortcomings, notably no BT and the poor camera quality, I held off. Now with the 650 here in likely 6-8 weeks, it seems like it has addressed everything I would want (other than I was hoping for 64mb RAM and WiFi like everyone else, but I guess we will likely be able to upgrade to 32+32?) I also heard the 600's dont work well with Dodgeball, but maybe the 650's will?

My question is, what other phones are serious competition for the upcoming 650 (and available in the next 2-4 months)? I think the 650 is what I want, but don't want to not consider any other potential superstars, too. I basically want an outstanding phone, great picture quality, top end screen/colors/resolution, BT, good organizational features, and good/clean/loud mp3 playback. I've been a Sanyo fan in the past (currently using a Sanyo SCP5300 on the Sprint network), and its time for me to upgrade (been with them 2 years, so can stay with them, or freely move to a new company).

Here are my impressions, tell me yours on these phones vs. the upcoming 650

- XDA III and MPx300 look okay, but I dont want to have/need a stylus...
    - the Nokia 9500 is pretty fugly IMO, but has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, EDGE, and 80MB memory. But its just... so.... ugly!

The three I thought I might have an interest in, were the Sony Ericsson S700i (cool design, 1.3 megapixel CCD camera, 262K color, 240 x 320 pixels TFT screen, BlueTooth, no qwerty but Im pretty good with T9 messaging). What are negatives of this phone?

Also the Samsung MM-A700 with the strong multimedia being the first CDMA phone to offer streaming audio and videofeatures built in megapixel camera, 262K TFT as well, intuitive design. But, no BT? seems like reason alone not to buy it, no?

Lastly, the Sanyo MM5600 coming out soon too. streaming video/audio, 1 MP camera, strong screen. Kind of an ugly phone though... no BT though??

Thoughts?
    The only one that you mention that I see as an alternative is the XDA III, reason being that it is smartphone with a candybar form and a thumbboard (although because of the sliding form, the keys may have to be flush instead of raised which may inhibit performance)

MPx and 9500 are great and all, but they are both clamshells and require two hands to operate. Not my cup of two because I want a one handed device.

the other three are phones. fine for most people, not for us here as we need more than that. We are looking for convergence devices so we don't have to carry a bunch of stuff around and those only address the phone part.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    What about the iPAQ 6315?

There is an interesting PDA comparing tool on www.brighthand.com too.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    You won't need to use the stylus with the XDA/MDA III as it has thumbboard, the IPAQ does to but it is snap-on rather than inbuilt which may be a hassle for some people to carry the extra bulk around!

The MDA/XDA III (Imate 2k) will be out at about the same time as the Treo 650 and has slide out thumbboard and wifi built in, so wait and try both out and see what you like!
    The MDA/XDA III will also be a two-handed device going by the reviews I've seen. Its over 200g and 170mm when extended. The keyboard is membrane-like not individual keys. Somebody make a PPC with the Treo form factor.

Here's a good review of it
    http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/rev...angel-en.shtml

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    You forgot the daxian! Sprint is supposed to announce the cameraless version (ppc 6601) of this phone oct 1.

320x240, bluetooth, slide-to-hide qwerty keyboard:
    http://www.stoogeworld.com/uploads/ppc-6600.jpg

Also samsung's sph-730, I really like tho looks of this one, unknown if there will be bluetooth or not.
    http://www.stoogeworld.com/uploads/SPH-i730.jpg
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

I think we should look beyond those devices with thumbboards for this thread as the user specifically said he's fine with T9. I'm not too familiar with these devices that people are mentioning, but it might be best to mention how the strengths of the devices coincide with the thread starters requests (i.e. 1.3+ MP camera, loud MP3, good screen, etc.)

My impression is that the Treo Ace is going to be at least average or top of the line with the MP3 player and 1.3 MP camera. MP3 player is subjective, but I've heard lots of good reports with the Treo (my ears don't discern the difference in mp3 players, so they are all good by me). I don't know if anything has a flash on the market, but that would be a step up in the camera. I don't know if anything outside of Japan is past 1.3MPs. Lastly, the screen on the Treo Ace is a bit of an unknown (I think). Until you see it, you just really never know. I think you have to love the 320x320 resolution and I'm not sure if other competitors (with the inputs you describe) can match it.

Lastly, I'm personally biased away from OSes that originated from phones or phone companies, because I feel they are limited. This bias may be unwarranted and just ignorant of OSes like Symbian. But I think there's something more sophisticated about coming from a PDA origin (maybe it's the choice of using a touchscreen) that I like.
    If you're happy enough with T9, you might want to also look at some of the phones running Microsoft's Smartphone OS which doesn't require a stylus (in fact, they don't have touchscreens, so you couldn't if you wanted to). I don't know if any of these have BT, though. These may also not meet your requirements for screen resolution.

I personally would be skeptical as to how well some of these thumbboard-equipped devices running the more feature-rich PPC OS could be used without a stylus. They'll also tend to be bigger with a screen that needs more protection, though if screen size and resolution are more important to you, they're certainly an option.

Beyond that, I would also suggest that you look at some of the Symbian Series 60 phones, like the Nokia 6620. If a feature-rich OS is important to you, there are a lot of 3rd party apps for that as well. Some of these S60 phones can typically be had for very, very cheap (sometimes you'll even make money after the rebates are all in). Screen size and resolution won't be great on these; they will be similar to the MS Smartphone GUI: Better than the Treo 600's resolution, but worse than the ACE/650 resolution or a PPC phone. Among these is the Nokia N-Gage, so if you like playing games, that may be a consideration as well.

Then there are smartphones such as the Danger hiptop/Sidekick II and the Motorola A630, both of which should be available soon. Both feature thumbboards which are more comfortable than just about anything else. The A630 also has a traditional phone keypad on the outside. The Danger OS is very slick, while I expect the Motorola home-grown OS to be poor. You'll find little to no 3rd party software for these and the jury is still out on how good the photos will be.

On that note, I wouldn't have high expectations for photo quality from any of these phones. Hopefully, we'll start to see decent camera optics integrated in smartphones within a year or so. Just remember that more megapixels does not necessarily mean (and, in fact, rarely does mean) better photo quality. The pictures may be more detailed, but contrast, color quality, etc. will often still be poor.

These are all very high level summarizations (and some opinions) of mine, and these are all highly complicated devices with various pros/cons, so you'll want to do a lot more research on each as well as play with them up close.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    You don't say where you're from, is it safe to say that you're in the US? If you're here in the EU however then microsoft smartphones are well worth a look. The Orange C500 for example, or some of its relatives (T-Mobile are bringing out a variant, don't know if they are in the US though).
    Sorry, just read you post more thoroughly, you say you're on the sprint network. Ah well, don't know if any MS phones do EDGE. The more recent ones do Bluetooth, and they all have good MP3/WM playback. I'll leave the post here in case anyone wants a GSM phone with smartphone capabilities.
    Animo et Fide
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Lastly, I'm personally biased away from OSes that originated from phones or phone companies, because I feel they are limited. This bias may be unwarranted and just ignorant of OSes like Symbian. But I think there's something more sophisticated about coming from a PDA origin (maybe it's the choice of using a touchscreen) that I like.
    Symbian does come from a PDA backgroup, remember Psion?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Nokia 9300

WAY too expensive at around 6,500 Swedish crowns ($861.4) in shops. but cool none the less. Not a treo killer but not too bad.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    THAT is supposed to be the Treo killer? Ah-hahaha I told you so. Another misfire from Nokia. Um, I hear Nokia has partnered with RIM. THAT is Nokia's Blackberry clone, aka planning for the future by copying the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    You forgot the daxian! Sprint is supposed to announce the cameraless version (ppc 6601) of this phone oct 1.

320x240, bluetooth, slide-to-hide qwerty keyboard:
    http://www.stoogeworld.com/uploads/ppc-6600.jpg
    The HTC Blue Angel is sold as XDA/MDA III, Daxian, CUsomething and heaps more. Everyone justs slaps there name on it and ship it but underlying hardware is same. HTC & Motorola seem to do the most PPC hardware development

Cheers
    Vikingbrad