1.    #1  
    Is there a free alternative to MMPlayer?

Thanks,
    Erik
    Kinoma player is free but it uses and proprietary format. The Kinoma Producer, which lets lets you create vids, costs $ though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Kinoma player is free but it uses and proprietary format. The Kinoma Producer, which lets lets you create vids, costs $ though...
    Yeah, if I am going to pay, I might as well use MMPlayer...

Erik
    So you can ONLY view movies with the Kinoma Player that are created with the Kinoma Producer?
    yup, that's it in a nutshell.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Dare I ask....are there any FREE media (video) players out there for the Treo?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    Dare I ask....are there any FREE media (video) players out there for the Treo?
    That was my question that started this thread.

Erik
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    just MMplayer and Kinoma - mmplayer is shareware with "darkened" trial after 30 seconds - kinoma is free itself but you must use Producer 2 to encode your videos with. Kinoma also does streaming media but under it's own proprietary format.

BTW - after getting my 1GB SD card - i downloaded kinoma producer 2 on friday. I believe this version now has UNLIMITED 2 week trial - meaning no 5 or 10 minute encoding of video - now it's your ENTIRE video. Now, the reason I mention this is prior to this (if i can recall) it used to be 5 minutes encoding - similar to pocket DVD studio.

I've encoded about 5 movies - while the XVID and DIVX and mpeg 2/4 format movies take longer to encode (it converts from those formats to a "kinoma/pdb" format) - so far I am VERY surprised by this application. Why? Stable !!!! I cannot stress this enough. I tried mmplayer in the past. The one thing that REALLY annoyed me - and perhaps it doesnt do this when you register - is that if you have the wireless mode/cell phone ON it would reset when a call came in. Or a sms, or email, etc. Not to mention, it was off sync a lot with the sound (i know there is a manual sync button but you have to register to really see the effect) - all i know is this. Unless someone tells me in the next 13 days that MMplayer has GREATLY improved - I'm casting my vote for Kinoma. Stable environment and no resets is what I'm all about!!! no point in watching a movie on my treo (or dave chappelle for that matter) if i cant keep wireless on.
    As for file size - I'm still playing around with settings in Kinoma. I get about 2.5x-3x the amount of megs that the movie length is. So if the movie is 60 minutes, encoded at 340kbps it's about 180 megs . (Don't try hotsyncing 180 megs, i warn you in advance. Use card export II or buy a SD card reader) Sorry to rant so much but I've been very excited and encoded a good 10 episodes of Dave Chappelle in the last day - I've been very pleased with kinoma and I cant stress enough how nice it is to see a phone call come in and not reset my handheld while I'm watching it. My hope is that I can somehow get the file size down to about ~1meg per min without sacrificing a whole lot of quality. As it is now, I'm at 340 kbps/15fps/audio 22khz APCDM with compression ratio of 4:1
    sledgie
    So it seems that the file size is quite a bit larger when encoded with Kinoma Producer rather than with Virtualdub or Pocket DVD Studio?
  10.    #10  
    I ended up buying MMPlayer last week...

IMO its still not 100% stable. I have gotten calls and SMS while watching, it just went straight to the app without restarting the PDA which was fine. The Audio/Video sync only messes up when you try to do something like adjust the volume...so thats annoying.

The only reason I bought it is because I just picked up a 1GB SD card and Palmgear has 25% off with 2 purchases...so it was MMPlayer and Pocket DVD Studio for me...I could be happier, but for the price I won't really complain.

Erik