Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have experience that could compare Magellan GPS vs. itrek Treo GPS vs. Garmin Ique GPS?

I am especially interested in how many maps you can actually load at one time to avoid have to re enter maps when travelling.

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I think you first have to decide if you want your GPS functionality to be integrated with the rest of your mobile solutions. The iTrek will run on your Treo, thus reducing another thing you have to carry around and maintain by 1. I have experience with all 3, and they are basically comparable (That is to say, roughly equivalent) in function and performance. Why pay the additional cash to get another hardware device when you already have a Treo ?
    Well, I have used a T3 with TomTom and I also own a iQue 3600 plus a Garmin 2620 dedicated device. I'm not a fan of converged devices for various reasons. And based upon the differences in map quality used mapopolis etc I'd recommend if your going to go converged then go with the iQue. Also the processor speed of the Que is 200mhz and the refresh rate of the maps is very sufficient if you use a decent SD card.

I belive that you'd find the Treo being used in a car and the size of the screen and it's wash out characteristics in bright sunlight would be a problem. This is one reason why the Que is used now by my wife and I use the 2620 for auto navigation.

But of course cost is a factor. The Que, probably still would be my PDA of choice over the Treo if more software companies had supported it's VG area quicker. Most now have done so but at the time that I purchased my Treo (Jan) most hadn't yet supported it. Dataviz, Agendus didn't at the time and they do now.

The one thing I didn't like about the Que was that in my car in order to get satisfactory GPS reception, I used a secondary antenna. This setup was satisfactory but the constant connecting and disconnecting of the antenna to the unit got to be a pain. If this external antenna feature had been incorporated into the Auto cradle it would have been less of an issue but the unit itself is very good IMHO. There is a good forum over at PDAStreet that discusses the Que in detail.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  4.    #4  
    I am very disappointed in mapopolis with itrek. I travelled from Pittsburgh to Dallas and could not get all the maps loaded to do the trip. I had to DELETE avantgo and epocrates to get just the major highways and Dallas maps loaded. When I decided to go to Ft. Worth, the memory was full and it reset. Very disappointing. I had the maps on the SD card, but they apparently need to be on the main memory to work from what I could tell.
    I've been using the beta of mapopolis, and that allows the maps to be on the card. I setup different directories for each state, or portions of states, and point mapopolis to reference the maps only in that sub-directory.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I chose the mapopolis combo with the cirocomm gps serial mouse package. it works phenomenally well. The only negative I have to offer is not speed related to the mapping software, it is that the gps start time can be erratic. Sometimes it starts from a cold start in 5-10 seconds. Other times it take a full minute or minute and a half. I have no idea why, although it usually happens only after the gps unit has been baking in the sun underneath my windshield in the heat of the summer. As to the mapping software, I have categorized by county maps by state on the sd card with maps directory off the root directory then sub directorys by state. Mapping my routes happen within a minute of me entering all the address data I need even across states.
    Folks,

I have used Mapopolis for a few months now. The latest beta allows maps to be dynamically loaded from the SD card.

Overall Mapopolis works, and I use it often when travelling on business. The interface is clunky, and finding addresses is sometimes a challenge because of this.

But for $180 including the GPS unit (also acts as a car charger) and a CD with all maps of the US, this is hard to beat.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd
    I am very disappointed in mapopolis with itrek. I travelled from Pittsburgh to Dallas and could not get all the maps loaded to do the trip. I had to DELETE avantgo and epocrates to get just the major highways and Dallas maps loaded. When I decided to go to Ft. Worth, the memory was full and it reset. Very disappointing. I had the maps on the SD card, but they apparently need to be on the main memory to work from what I could tell.
    I am moderately pleased with the itrek/Mapopolis package. What it does it does well. I have been using Neverlost for years. I have used the very good package in my sister's Acura and the even better one in her new Prius. The Mapopolis compares very well with Neverlost but not as well to the $1-2000 original equipment packages.

That the maps must be in RAM is a major limitation. I chalk that limitation up as much to Palm as to Mapopolis but I hope that Mapopolis works it out. I would also like for the program to exploit the five-way key.

Having a package that moves with me from car to car is very useful as is the ability to do my trip planning before I get into the car.
  9.    #9  
    Am I understanding you correctly that you do not need the space in RAM for mapopolis to run? I have the latest version and unless I had adequate space in RAM, the mapopolis did a soft reset and failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    That the maps must be in RAM is a major limitation. I chalk that limitation up as much to Palm as to Mapopolis but I hope that Mapopolis works it out.
    Read the thread. Many, many people have been using the newer betas which do not require that the maps be in ram.

Pete
  11.    #11  
    I did read the thread. I was asking for clarification because I thought I had the latest version.
    The most current non-beta release of Mapopolis is 1.35 and can be found at close to the top of the page here: http://www.mapopolis.com/download.js...0390350&p=&q=2

However, if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see that there is a beta release of Mapopolis that is up to 2.17. This beta release will allow you to keep your maps on your SD card and it will move the necessary maps to RAM as needed.

The maps still need to be in RAM for good speed, but at least now it's dynamic.

I also suggest you check the forums at GPSPassion.com. The specific forum for the Mapopolis application is here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...sp?FORUM_ID=33

Good luck. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    The most current non-beta release of Mapopolis is 1.35 and can be found at close to the top of the page here: http://www.mapopolis.com/download.js...0390350&p=&q=2

However, if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see that there is a beta release of Mapopolis that is up to 2.17. This beta release will allow you to keep your maps on your SD card and it will move the necessary maps to RAM as needed.

The maps still need to be in RAM for good speed, but at least now it's dynamic.

I also suggest you check the forums at GPSPassion.com. The specific forum for the Mapopolis application is here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...sp?FORUM_ID=33

Good luck. Hope that helps.
    SteveNYC, thank you for your post. That was very helpful.

I have downloaded the beta and will report on my experience with it.
  14.    #14  
    Thank you Steve for your helpfulness. Sounds like it still works "best" in RAM for speed?
    Well, I have installed 2.17. It will start. However, almost any attempt to view a map, from RAM or the card results in a reset. On re-starting Mapopolis, it reports error 217-1905 along with a message that suggests a hack or software incompatibility. Any ideas anyone? Time to fall back? Not compatible with Treo 600?
  16.    #16  
    I tried it and still have trouble getting it to run on the SD card. I am using the "new" download. How much free RAM do you need to run mapopolis with the voice feature?
    I use the beta 2.17 with my Haicom GPS mouse and the duo works flawlessly. I too install all of my maps to the SD card. I've driven from NY - Atlanta and it never skipped a beat. I don't notice any performance hits with the maps loaded on the card.

Most of my weekend trips are between Manhattan and LI and NJ. I keep every county map from the entire tri-state area as well as the state main road maps loaded on my card.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseNYC
    I use the beta 2.17 with my Haicom GPS mouse and the duo works flawlessly. I too install all of my maps to the SD card. I've driven from NY - Atlanta and it never skipped a beat. I don't notice any performance hits with the maps loaded on the card.

Most of my weekend trips are between Manhattan and LI and NJ. I keep every county map from the entire tri-state area as well as the state main road maps loaded on my card.
    I am still unable to get 2.17 to run on my Treo. Cannot see the drop down menu, takes me to map list. (Did see the menu once when I pressed the key while on the map list page. Checked the settings to see if it was trying to display on a high-res screen but could not find any reference to resolution.) Any attempt to display or view a map crashes the Treo.

I clearly need help.
  19.    #19  
    If you wanted to download the entire US, how much space would it take? Would it all fit on a 512 card? 1G card? Are there 1 G cards that work on the treo?
  20. afr
    Mapopolis says the way to use maps that cover large areas of territory is to load the major highway maps, and the specific coounty maps at the ends (or wherever you plan on veering off the major roads). Also, they have a capability of loading all contiguous maps. I found this works very will last weekend when I loaded a county map for a Texas county I was visiting, and Mapopolis proceeded to load the contiguous state maps of all of the states that I had that connected to Texas (and to each other), then all of the county maps that attached to the major state maps.

Unfortunately, I had replaced the beta software with the newest regular version (the one that requires the maps to be loaded to RAM) and all of the maps loaded into the Palm, not my 256Mb SD card. I went from 11Mb free on the Palm to 2.5Mb free. However, I could clearly get from Houston to Portland by way of Boise with one click of the stylus...

Needless to say, I reinstalled the beta version. But this experience tells me that Mapopolis has found a way to link all of the maps dynamically and deliver a route. Big drawback for me is that I don't have the GPS mouse yet. So what I get is dirving instructions -- somewhat of a pain to follow for long distances.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast