Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    A few posts above
    my bad
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I guess it depends how you define usable....keyboard...sure...headset...nope.
    But I was using headset, and there was NO interference!

Ohh and it is not using some proprietory headset, I have tested with the Ericsson HBH-35 and also my manager says he has done it without issue with his Logitech headset, both using the Sandisk SDIO WiFi Card!

Out of curiousity do you have sources for this information, as I find it strange that so many people have this belief, yet in practice it seems not to be true (as I can clearly demonstrate with my Imate/XDA II).....
    Last edited by joele; 09/06/2004 at 08:36 PM.
    I agree with Druce. The issue with Wifi on an SD is coming from the power consumption. The SDIO Power is too low on the treo 600. I heard that a manufacturer was working on a lower-power Wifi SD card. That might solve the issue IF Palm can get their drivers to work... I don't know why Wifi is not integrated though, may be the chip size was too big (or too expensive). When they go to a lower chip manufacturing process, it might work out. Wifi very power-hungry, even if it does not draw power via the SD slot. But quite frankly, this is another story... If wifi was integrated in the treo 600 and was a power hog, I would still be happy.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The issue with Wifi on an SD is coming from the power consumption. The SDIO Power is too low on the treo 600. I heard that a manufacturer was working on a lower-power Wifi SD card. That might solve the issue IF Palm can get their drivers to work...
    Yes this is apparently coming and even if I stay with PPC I will buy one, as I only get about 2.5 hours of continuous use with my Sandisk wifi card...

For Palm PDA that supports this we may have to wait for Palm to make their own version of a Palm wifi card based on this chip... (if the way Sandisk claim they were treated by Palm is true)
    Please see previous posts in thi thread for links about BT and Wifi interference.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    OK Apple doing proprietory stuff proves nothing, that is what Apple does ,they don't like being compatable

As for the other article "http://josephdamiano.com/Articles/Damiano-Wireless.htm" I looked through this and can't find where he says that wifi and bluetooth will clash!!!
    We will see what Palm will come up with, but I'm not sure that they actually design all the components that are in the Treo 600. Most of the time, they buy components from third parties, and they design the main board and software. I believe for instance that they don't design the wireless components (chips). Someone else will have to design a low-power wifi internal chip or a Wifi SD card that's lower-power.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    OK Apple doing proprietory stuff proves nothing, that is what Apple does ,they don't like being compatable
    Hahahaha! Apple uses more standards than any other Computer manufacturer in the business.

If you are talking about Apple's proprietary solutions in the beginning, you are probably talking their solution to allow for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to co-exist at the same time. Apple's "proprietary" solution was innovative and forced other companies to do the same. The first Bluetooth/Wi-Fi System-in-a-package design did not come about until the middle of Christmas last year (why can't Palm use one of these designs – there are about 6 or 7 now). Now, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Apple$ $no$ $longer$ $relies$ $on$ $the$ $software$ $based$ $solution$ $but$ $mostly$ $relies$ $on$ $Bluetooth$ $1$.$2$.

And on the issue of Apple not being compatible, I would like to point out that it is easier to incoporate an OS X machine into a Windows Server(or even an Exchange server) than a Windows machine itself. In a way, they are forced to use standards so they can more easily incoporate machines into peoples lives and consequently make more money to keep the company going.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    LOL regarding Apple, I like s#*t stirring the Apple people :P

OK so if there is a software solution that apple uses, most laptops use and PPC's use why the hell is this such an issue for Palm, that people here are saying it can't be done???
    Palm isn't Apple Computer. They don't know how to take standards and do unique and fantastic things with them.

If you are to believe the "facts" as stated by The Muffin Man in:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=56948&page=1
    the Treo 650 will only include Bluetooth 1.1, not Bluetooth 1.2.

Majorly crippled right out of the gate. The primary reasons for Bluetooth in the phone will be cut out and only rudimentary functionality will be allowed with the 4-year-old Bluetooth 1.1 standard. No frequency hopping, no specially designed wi-fi/bluetooth system-in-a-chip package, no arbitration, no echo cancellation and no proximity detection.

Proximity detection, there's another big issue. I just read on some other thread here at TC about people complaining about security issues with Bluetooth. I didn't respond, but since I am writing here (aside from Bluetooth being more secure than Wi-Fi) this is something Palm users definetly do not have to worry about, UNFORTUNATELY! This is the coolest part of Bluetooth, but I can gurantee that Palm (EVEN IF they DID use Bluetooth 1.2) will not allow for this feature. The Palm OS doesn't allow for "listening" for bluetooth connections, Palm OS handhelds must connect from the palm side. No proximity event triggering or any of that cool Salling Clicker stuff.
    Joele,

This is not a software issue, this is a hardware issue:

0/ The Palm SD Slot does not provide enough power to use existing SD cards. Pocket PC's SD slots can. (go figure why palm has this issue...)

1/ Palm needs to use a SD Slot that can handle the power requirement of current SD cards. the ipaq 41xx can do it, obviously.

2/ A third party manufacturer can create a Wifi SD card that's low-power enough to be used in the Treo 600 SD Slot.

3/ Palm can use an internal wireless chip that supports Wifi. So far it does no seem to be the case.

Until then one or more of those issues are solved, no Wifi on the Treo 650/Ace
    Quote Originally Posted by joele

As for the other article "http://josephdamiano.com/Articles/Damiano-Wireless.htm" I looked through this and can't find where he says that wifi and bluetooth will clash!!!
    you need to read more closely.

Apple doing proprietary stuff to do BT 1.1 dynamic avoidance PROVES EVERYTHING. If it's not standard, it's not usable across devices and platforms AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED.

The point is, as archie, has pointed out, that having 1.1 int he Treo 650 is a crippling mistake.
    Ooops, sorry Joele. I may not have completely addressed your question. I went off on the Bluetooth angle more than the Wi-Fi. Bluetooth would be more important for me, but I can understand why some would need Wi-Fi.

So, to add to zehubert's response, I also want to say that Palm will not turn around and release (or allow someone else to release) a card or technology that will inturn further cripple an embedded technology (namely Bluetooth) already designed into the phone.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    you need to read more closely.

Apple doing proprietary stuff to do BT 1.1 dynamic avoidance PROVES EVERYTHING. If it's not standard, it's not usable across devices and platforms AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY INTENDED.

The point is, as archie, has pointed out, that having 1.1 int he Treo 650 is a crippling mistake.
    Again as I said I can use any STANDARD bleutooth headset with my phone and use a Sandisk SD Wifi card at the same time and stand in my house with numerous Wifi devices and have had and continue to have no problems with this at all.......

But you keep saying this isn't possible, or suggesting that there will be terrible interference... But there isn't, the XDA has bluetooth 1.1 and is not crippled at all and it works with OTHER standard bluetooth devices like my Ericsson Headset.

Infact I have never had any noticable interference on my bluetooth headset to date, and that includes using it in environments with multiple wifi networks like my work office building!!!

Ohh well I give up, You seem to be ignoring the fact that any of you can buy a XDA II or many other PPCs and watch these two technologies work fine side by side and working together with standard bluetooth devices e.g. headsets!!! Thats all I can say, it works and if you can be bothered you can see it for yourself, you can CLAIM whatever you like, but your full of crap mitek!!!

Bluetooth 1.1 in XDA II
    Last edited by joele; 09/07/2004 at 04:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zehubert
    Joele,

This is not a software issue, this is a hardware issue:

0/ The Palm SD Slot does not provide enough power to use existing SD cards. Pocket PC's SD slots can. (go figure why palm has this issue...)

1/ Palm needs to use a SD Slot that can handle the power requirement of current SD cards. the ipaq 41xx can do it, obviously.

2/ A third party manufacturer can create a Wifi SD card that's low-power enough to be used in the Treo 600 SD Slot.

3/ Palm can use an internal wireless chip that supports Wifi. So far it does no seem to be the case.

Until then one or more of those issues are solved, no Wifi on the Treo 650/Ace

This is fair enough and it is one of the reasons I sold my Treo 600 and won't buy another Palm PDA until they sort this and many other unacceptable (in my opinion) issues out!!!
    Last edited by joele; 09/07/2004 at 04:20 AM.
    The next Treo is said to be based on the Zire 72 since it shares a processor and camera with it. The Zire 72 has Bluetooth 1.1 and the Zire 72 supports the wifi card.

Please keep in mind the reason they didn't include bluetooth on the Treo 600 was because of the carriers. Sprint didn't want bluetooth and since they were a driving force behind the device they didn't put bluetooth on any of the other carriers Treo's. Things have changed. Sprint is coming out with Bluetooth phones and the Treo is likely to have Bluetooth or at the minimum the GSM ones probably will.

The carriers aren't afraid of WIFI. WIFI will reduce the load on their networks, because people will surf the internet on that connection instead of their connection. Consumers also want wifi. Palm also probably wouldn't mind selling WIFI SD cards. All these things put together they probably will support it and since the palm it's based on supports the card you would think that they would want to support the wifi sd cards.

I'm sure they will if they can.
    It is very unfortunate that you lack literacy skills.

I never said it (using bt with wifi) would not work, just that there can be significant interference.
    the laws of physics bear this out.

you are not experiencing it. lucky you. good for you.

I have done extensive testing with this, (and I really want it to work), and found issues.

the only point I am making is that Palm1 is putting old tech in new device, and problems will occur.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    lack literacy skills
    I never said it (using bt with wifi) would not work
    LMAO

well I think I can read well enough to understand your first post in this thread
    bt 1.1 equals no wi-fi
    and
    I guess it depends how you define usable....keyboard...sure...headset...nope.
    Back peddling now are we?

Extensive testing???? with what??? Back it up!! I test it every day and it works fine, I have asked about this on XDA forum and NO-ONE has experienced the problems you describe.....
    Last edited by joele; 09/07/2004 at 06:19 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123