Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by edeab220
    You guys can continue with your 1.1 vs. 1.2 discussion, but I just wanted to say that when you use the palmOne WiFi card, you need to turn off BT. It's a requirement.

You can now continue with your discussion .
    Maybe that is the case, but it's completely tardanic.

Am I supposed to turn off wi-fi on my PC and home network to use the BT headset? GIAFB.

I could care less about a POS SDIO Wi-Fi card...I just want to be able to use a BT headset at home/office/hotspots.
    You guys can continue with your 1.1 vs. 1.2 discussion, but I just wanted to say that when you use the palmOne WiFi card, you need to turn off BT. It's a requirement.

Heh. Thanks!

Hrm. Wonder if that's due to power (battery) constraints or if there really are transceiver constraints. Does any of the Palm documentation give a reason behind the requirement?
    Other have w”
    the only power constraint is brain power.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaTreo
    Heh. Thanks!

Hrm. Wonder if that's due to power (battery) constraints or if there really are transceiver constraints. Does any of the Palm documentation give a reason behind the requirement?
    Nope...it doesn't say why...but when I get mine I'll tell you .
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    Let's be perfectly clear. Bluetooth and WiFi can, and do, exist on the same platform with minimal issues presently. My Apple PowerBook has both WiFi and Bluetooth 1.1 (specs here) and I have used both at the same time. GPRS data connection to T-Mobile over a Nokia 6310i with network sharing to an ad-hoc wireless network.
    [/B]
    thank you.. I'm glad there is atleast one other person on this forum who actualy understands RF technology.. I've seen lots of clueless posts by people who have no idea how radio works.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    We'Ve got both BT (RedM) and WiFi (Apple Airport) WAPs running at our place (for PCs, Macs, and T3s). WAPs are about 5 feet apart. It all works great.
    Well, we will see soon enough.

Co-existence is a loaded term...two cars can co-exist on a road...as long a they don't try to occupy the same space at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Well, we will see soon enough.

Co-existence is a loaded term...two cars can co-exist on a road...as long a they don't try to occupy the same space at the same time.
    See, there you go again Mike, thinking the old way.

With spread spectrum technologies two signals (two cars, per your metaphor) can occupy the same frequency (space) at the same time. I know this can be hard to understand because its counterintuitive. But it is well proven. Outside of 802.11a/b/g and Bluetooth another major example of SS technology where a lot of users (cars) are sharing the same frequency (space) at the same time is CDMA. In a CDMA cell, all the users are sharing the same TX/RX pair of frequencies and the handsets and cell site pick out the individual conversations through the appropriate chip (PN) codes.

And as others have pointed out here. WiFi and BT can, and do, co-exist.
    See, there you go again Mike, thinking the old way.

With spread spectrum technologies two signals (two cars, per your metaphor) can occupy the same frequency (space) at the same time. I know this can be hard to understand because its counterintuitive. But it is well proven. Outside of 802.11a/b/g and Bluetooth another major example of SS technology where a lot of users (cars) are sharing the same frequency (space) at the same time is CDMA. In a CDMA cell, all the users are sharing the same TX/RX pair of frequencies and the handsets and cell site pick out the individual conversations through the appropriate chip (PN) codes.

And as others have pointed out here. WiFi and BT can, and do, co-exist.

let's not confuse thing here for most people. Your hijacking of my anology is wrong.

If you want an analogy for CDMA/spread spectrum, this is better:

"In CDMA each couple talks at the same time, but they all use a different language. Because none of the listeners understand any language other than that of the individual to whom they are listening, the background din doesn't cause any real problem."

(Link: http://www.arcx.com/sites/CDMAvsTDMA.htm )

This is NOT the same as two cars in the exacts space space at the same time.

BT and wi-fi 11.b/g (not 802.11a, as you noted), are on the same frequency, at the same time. Those random bits do collide, and it causes issues.

Sorry, but you cannot rewrite the laws of physics and mathematics, try as you may. Maybe that is "old" thinking, but that is reality.

Maybe you should understand what you are talking about before claiming otherwise.
    let's not confuse thing here for most people. Your hijacking of my anology is wrong.
    No Mike, my hijacking of your metaphor is absolutely correct. I'm not confused, and I'm trying to keep others from being confused as well.

If you want an analogy for CDMA/spread spectrum, this is better:

"In CDMA each couple talks at the same time, but they all use a different language. Because none of the listeners understand any language other than that of the individual to whom they are listening, the background din doesn't cause any real problem."

(Link: http://www.arcx.com/sites/CDMAvsTDMA.htm )

This is NOT the same as two cars in the exacts space space at the same time.
    Yes. Absolutely correct as another metaphor for spread spectrum. The "different language" that the article speaks of are different psuedo-noise, or chip codes. Essentially they are saying the same thing I already have, thank you for pointing out another metaphor for me. And this is exactly the same thing as two cars occupying the same space (space in this case being considered in the frequency domain) on the same road at the same time.

BT and wi-fi 11.b/g (not 802.11a, as you noted), are on the same frequency, at the same time. Those random bits do collide, and it causes issues.
    Ah, so now we're dealing with "random bits" colliding in the the aether. Where did the "random bits" come from and how do they "collide"? Your thinking is old, its is the belief that two transmitters cannot occupy the same frequency at the same time without causing interference. This was true for the first 90 to 100 years of radio. Digital technologies alleviate a good portion of this problem. Yes, there will still be interference, but not in the fashion to which we have been accustomed.

Sorry, but you cannot rewrite the laws of physics and mathematics, try as you may. Maybe that is "old" thinking, but that is reality.

Maybe you should understand what you are talking about before claiming otherwise.
    I understand exactly what I'm talking about. And I'm certainly not re-writing the laws of physics or mathematics by making any of the statements I have. Again, this is counter-intuitive stuff. That means that what you "know" based on your previous experience is incorrect. And this is a point that I've been attempting to make for several posts.
    Meta, please read the link in full.

It shows those to metaphors are completely different.

This is not about being counter-intutive....it is about be scientifically accurate.

You continue to mislead people in this thread, which no matter how often you say it, does not make it true.

I leave it to TC readers to re the links I previously posted and make up their minds.

Boy, someone better tell all of those Sony Clie UX50 owners about that. They have both integrated on the same device.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    and to answer a question posted above, yes, if you are using a BT 1.1 headset and you go somewhere with wi-fi (home, hotspot, office, etc.), you will get distortion. since BT is low power, and wi-fi is high power, wi-fi clobbers BT.
    I'm sorry what crap.....

I have an Imate PocketPC (XDA II) it has bluetooth 1.1 and supports wifi card, plus I have wifi Router and numerous devices (pc,xbox) at home.... And I promise you in REALITY this works fine, I don't get any interferance on my bluetooth headset as a result of the wifi devices all active in my house.....

I will try the wifi active on the pda whilst on a call with bluetooth when I get home tonight and post the results!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    I'm sorry what crap.....

I have an Imate PocketPC (XDA II) it has bluetooth 1.1 and supports wifi card, plus I have wifi Router and numerous devices (pc,xbox) at home.... And I promise you in REALITY this works fine, I don't get any interferance on my bluetooth headset as a result of the wifi devices all active in my house.....

I will try the wifi active on the pda whilst on a call with bluetooth when I get home tonight and post the results!!!
    But that is exactly what happens. I'm not saying they can't work together, but that a BT headset (1.1) will get more interference around a wi-fi environment, making it unusable. (asusming no special proprietary schemes in place.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    OK well just to follow up on my previous post, I browsed this website through my Sandisk WiFi card whilst talking to my girlfriend through my bluetooth headset, all on my XDA II and I had no interference at all, crystal clear

I am just speaking from my experience I have no real knowledge of the protocols etc. I only know that it seems to work fine! I don't know why Palm can't do it, whereas I have never heard of any problems on the PocketPC forums....

Cmon Palm work your s*&t out and I will most likely go back to a Palm PDA/Phone...
    The information and tests I've seen show Bluetooth interfering with WiFi and lowering the data transfer rate but that interference from Wifi for Bluetooth isn't nearly as bad and is certainly still usable.
  18.    #38  
    OK well just to follow up on my previous post, I browsed this website through my Sandisk WiFi card whilst talking to my girlfriend through my bluetooth headset, all on my XDA II and I had no interference at all, crystal clear

I am just speaking from my experience I have no real knowledge of the protocols etc. I only know that it seems to work fine! I don't know why Palm can't do it, whereas I have never heard of any problems on the PocketPC forums....

Cmon Palm work your s*&t out and I will most likely go back to a Palm PDA/Phone...
    and what version of Bluetooth is the XDA II using? 1.1 or 1.2. That is the point of the debate here
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I'm sorry what crap.....

A few posts above
    I guess it depends how you define usable....keyboard...sure...headset...nope.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast