1.    #1  
    Let's settle once and for all which is the better solution. (I'm ruling out entourage because it's too friggin slow on my ibook G3)

I prefer PD & Mail because

1. PD has memopad
    2. I use categories extensive in Contacts, Todo List, and Memopad. For example, I have seperate To Do List categories for different types of calls, and a separate category for running errands and another one for deskwork/paperwork/websurfing - the Apple solution does not sync categories. (Last time I tried.) I find it especially annoying in iCal that all your to dos are bunched into one long list, throwing out my neatly categorized todos on my palm. I have different categories for females and male friends, recruiters, etc...

that's about all I can think of for now....
    I hate the Mac adress book b/c it will not show phone numbers next to the names. Pointless.
    Every pixel a picasso
    Also, iSync (which syncs to Address Book and iCal) doesn't make use of categories, which I find stupid. It should create a new group in the Address Book for each category you have on your Treo, and ideally, a new calendar group for each appointment category. I am instead using Entourage, as opposed to the Palm Desktop and Address Book/iCal.

If Apple were to modify iSync to include categories, I would consider going back and using iCal and Address Book, because some of the other features of them are nice, for my use at least.

- Mike
    I like the integration of the Addressbook with the mail program, and the find function on the Address Book is top rate in my opinion. I don't categorize anyone, and i just start typing the name and the entry just pops up.

I guess it depends on how you work.
    I tried going to Entourage 2004, then to Palm Desktop. I was a little annoyed with the Mac Address book because it didn't sync both addresses. However, I couldn't find a conduit for Entourage 2004 (test drive) and I couldn't reimport into Palm Desktop. Also, I like Mail.app better than Entourage. The Entourage interface is too cluttered (I used to use Entourage X).

So I am back to Mail.app iCall and Address Book. They are an elegant integrated solution. I will have to make sure all my primary addresses are set to "home" so that they sync properly.
  6.    #6  
    does lack of memopad **** u off?
    MissingSync has a Memo Pad app that works great. http://www.markspace.com
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamhgreen
    I hate the Mac adress book b/c it will not show phone numbers next to the names. Pointless.
    The phone numbers show up right under the name for me. I haven't looked at it yet but I believe there are templates that you can use to set up the order of stuff in Address Book.

I like the Address Book because you can display the phone number in big legible letters across the screen (kinda like the command-tab application switcher). It doesn't SEEM like this would be handy but I always end up using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikev
    Also, iSync (which syncs to Address Book and iCal) doesn't make use of categories, which I find stupid.

- Mike
    Here, here! This is stupid.

The next OS X release will have a developers kit for the iSync technology (finally) AND Address Book, iCal and the iSync technology will be more scriptable so we have two things going for us in the upcoming Mac OS release. Between these two additions along with the general maturing of each of these, I am hopeful we will have a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    MissingSync has a Memo Pad app that works great. http://www.markspace.com
    This is one of the key reasons why I purchased Missing Sync. It does work great, especially the 4.0.1 version.

I hope they incorporate these memos with Dashboard Notes in OS X 10.4. That would be cool.

Maybe I should write a letter to them now requesting this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    The phone numbers show up right under the name for me. I haven't looked at it yet but I believe there are templates that you can use to set up the order of stuff in Address Book.
    I do use the Adress Book and iCal (now that I was informed about MenuCalendarClock (http://www.objectpark.net/mcc.html), I just wish people's phone numbers would show up next to their names in the "name" field, rather than only being displayed in the "card" view.

Does anyone know if there is a memo/stickies program that will allow you to highlight text, then paste it into a new memo/sticky - in a particular category - by using a right-click contextual menu (the way StickyBrain works), and still sync with the treo?
    Last edited by grahamhgreen; 09/26/2004 at 05:28 PM. Reason: oops
    Every pixel a picasso
  12.    #12  
    does isync, ical, addressbook, sync your categories correctly?
    I just got a treo and am trying to sync my address book contacts and iCal. Can it be done?
    I use Palm Desktop for the calendar, and Address Book (via iSync). Best of both for me; PD has better printing than iCal.

Picarona, you have to first install Palm Desktop, then install iSync. It might be good to verify that sync works with PD before getting involved with iSync.
  15.    #15  
    Rich Aricchio, Address Book sync your categories correctly?
    In addition to iSync you also need to download the palm conduit from Apple. It is on the iSync download page. I have no problem syncing with iCal and Address Book. I don't use categories however.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiNNuTS
    Rich Aricchio, Address Book sync your categories correctly?
    In the Address Book I use the groups to substitute (90%) the categories.
    But can't sync with the Treo.
  18.    #18  
    that sucks.
    I had previously advocated Mail, iCal as the best solution, but have recently switched to Entourage. Mail was getting a little clunky as my mail database grew significantly. In Entourage 2004 I have had no sync problems. There are interface tradeoffs (Entourage not as elegant as the Apple solutions), but it is working well.